Head Over Heels (Next)

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
clebin
Manic Miner

Head Over Heels (Next)

Post by clebin »

I don't think this been mentioned on here so far: Head Over Heels for the Next is out now (for KS2 backers only at the moment, but there will be a boxed version and presumably a paid download)

https://www.rustypixels.uk/product/head ... -ks2-only/

I haven't had played that far through it yet, but my first impressions are positive. When the Kickstarter launched I was expecting a "Head Over Heels 2" co-created with Jon Ritman. This isn't that, and from reading the credits it doesn't look like Jon Ritman has had much involvement sadly. This echoes the first Kickstarter where other old names signed up but didn't deliver for whatever reason.

Anyway, I'm pleased to see that it's not just a bog-standard conversion either. I'd been struggling to see what that would give me that the Amiga version didn't, for instance. They've added quite a lot of new rooms to this version which contain extra collectables. So far a lot of the rooms seem like filler to be honest. Most of them are just connecting rooms without puzzles of their own, but hopefully this will change as I progress through the game and visit different worlds.

There's also an in-game shop where you can trade your extra items for goodies. The ability to buy extra lives is useful but you can't use it to bring one character back to life though, whch is a shame. You just have to remember to buy the extra lives earlier.

The graphics have their own style which is different to the 16-bit releases with less black outlines. I'm torn on which I like better to be honest. Another addition is a game-speed setting. By default it's quite a bit faster than the original, which gives it a different feel and again makes the game worth revisiting, but you can slow it down to regular speed if you prefer.

It's nice to see HoH through fresh eyes. It feels a bit like a Remastered album with a few bonus tracks. I'm looking forward to exploring more to see what else they've added.
clebin
Manic Miner

Re: Head Over Heels (Next)

Post by clebin »

clebin wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:08 pm The graphics have their own style which is different to the 16-bit releases with less black outlines. I'm torn on which I like better to be honest.
I take this back - it was rose-tinted spectacles. Seeing the Amiga version again, the Next version is definitely prettier.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

I'm loving the extra rooms on the map, less so the changes to the graphics like the toasters when difficulty levels are set lower. As far as HoH games go I gotta say I prefer Tomaz Kac's remake over this one, but it's a close finish.
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

clebin wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:08 pmthere will be a boxed version and presumably a paid download
Not available yet, but:

Digital version £9.99:
https://www.rustypixels.uk/product/head ... s-digital/

Boxed version £19.99:
https://www.rustypixels.uk/product/head-over-heels/
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Only just got round to playing this and with the original being one of my all time favourite games I was apprehensive as to how faithful to the original it would be. I'm glad to see that this version is excellent and, to me, it feels like a genuine 'updated' version of the Speccy classic. Brilliant stuff :dance :dance
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

I see the prices have gone up by £1 (digital) and £3 (physical) since I last posted. Will still pick it up when it’s available.

Was never a fan of isometric games (although I recognised their technical achievements) until Batman came out, and then HoH blew me away. Would love a true sequel but this looks like the next best thing.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Mousey wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:24 pm …..the next best thing.
I see what you did there ;)
dvduk
Drutt

Post by dvduk »

Was interest to see something HoH related at RetCon too :)
Can also be found at SamstersVideos - which does occasionally update when I have time...
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

dvduk wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:07 pm Was interest to see something HoH related at RetCon too :)
I really need to get a closer look at that, assuming Colin Porch is there again this year.

His sequel looks interesting, but I have to admit that I'm glad the Next version actually has solid walls and floors, rather than following the example of the Speccy (and ST/Amiga) version, of having everything on a black background.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart