SHEEPISH-so much violence in the world of herding!

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

Hey there
i would like to share my new game

there are a few bugs (moslty due to the character-drawing technique i use)... if you can live with them (i could not eliminate them) you have a pretty fun game (i think)

Made using AGDx mini, so make sure you select 128kb machine

O-left
P-right
M-jump (only when not moving left or right)
N-skip level
Q+A restart level (might be useful when things get messy)

Tnx to Lee Bee for the creating a wonderful soundtrack!

enjoy (find it in my dropbox folder-link is in my signature below)!

Gab

PROCESSED
DH 26/03/24
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Re: SHEEPISH-so much violence in the world of herding!

Post by Bedazzle »

Fun and attractive. Thank you!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Very nice work @gabriele amore and @Lee Bee,

You really do make the very most out of the Spectrum's colour pallette @gabriele amore. Easy to get into, attractive, fun to play and not to hard for the occasional game player (at least on the early levels!).

@Lee Bee, I do love the rendition of 'Hungry Like the Wolf', and the 'Baa' sounds on the intro screen. I've even recorded the tune so I can play it in the car!

My only worry is... Where are the sheep being transported to in the ACME van?
RichardHallas
Drutt

Post by RichardHallas »

This is a brilliant game; very fun and attractive, and with great music.

However, I've found one bug that isn't a graphical glitch, but is a clear oversight and can be very annoying.

It happens when you've collected all the sheep and got into the truck and started to drive off. At that point, even if you're only one character space away from exiting the screen and finishing the level, a shepherd may decide to catch you by extending his hook to the (now empty) final position of the wolf before entering the truck. And if that happens, the 'caught' animation plays and you lose the level. It's incredibly annoying, especially as there's no way to avoid it.

I've had this happen twice, including in the initial training level (where it's annoying but doesn't really matter). Perhaps you could fix this? Otherwise, I REALLY like this game!
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

RichardHallas wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:04 pm This is a brilliant game; very fun and attractive, and with great music.

However, I've found one bug that isn't a graphical glitch, but is a clear oversight and can be very annoying.

It happens when you've collected all the sheep and got into the truck and started to drive off. At that point, even if you're only one character space away from exiting the screen and finishing the level, a shepherd may decide to catch you by extending his hook to the (now empty) final position of the wolf before entering the truck. And if that happens, the 'caught' animation plays and you lose the level. It's incredibly annoying, especially as there's no way to avoid it.

I've had this happen twice, including in the initial training level (where it's annoying but doesn't really matter). Perhaps you could fix this? Otherwise, I REALLY like this game!
Hey
i uploaded a corrected version and
I think it should be ok now
(at keast i hope so..)
G
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Congratulations to Gabriele on another great and fun game! :dance It was an honour to provide the music. (Credit to Duran Duran for the in-game tune I remixed.) :-)
Deadpan666/Flook666
Drutt

Post by Deadpan666/Flook666 »

Loving the game so far! Excellent work once again, Gabriele! :D

Love the fact 'Hungry Like The Wolf' plays in-game too, Lee Bee! :lol:
"Let's go, Mr. Driver!"
RichardHallas
Drutt

Post by RichardHallas »

gabriele amore wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:08 pm Hey
(at keast i hope so..)
G
Great – that was fast! Thanks very much.
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

I need to correct a mispell in the post title... HERDING (not hearding)... can the @PeterJ please help? tnx so much
Last edited by gabriele amore on Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Very nice work @gabriele amore and @Lee Bee ! I was expecting something good but this exceeded my expectations. It has a unique mechanic and I love the animations and the well-picked tune. Excellent job on the tune, Lee Bee. It made me like the song more than before.
Let me get this onto my Next. There goes the rest of the day...
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

Lee Bee wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:12 pm Congratulations to Gabriele on another great and fun game! :dance It was an honour to provide the music. (Credit to Duran Duran for the in-game tune I remixed.) :-)
This game wouldnt be the same without your wonderful tunes!
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

good work! well, didn't expect any less from this author ;)

however, with this game engine i expected some gfx glitches as well - and there is at least one
sometimes, parts of the shepherd sprite remain in the bottom rows of the screen
i wonder if it's possible to fix it?
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

Lethargeek wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:12 pm good work! well, didn't expect any less from this author ;)

however, with this game engine i expected some gfx glitches as well - and there is at least one
sometimes, parts of the shepherd sprite remain in the bottom rows of the screen
i wonder if it's possible to fix it?
yse that is what i meant when i mentioned bugs due to the graphic tecqnique i use... i did'nt figure out out to remove that problem yet... sorry
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

gabriele amore wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:45 pm yse that is what i meant when i mentioned bugs due to the graphic tecqnique i use... i did'nt figure out out to remove that problem yet... sorry
if it really happens only at the bottom maybe force filling these rows would be enough?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

gabriele amore wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:49 pm I need to correct a mispell in the post title... HERDING (not hearding)...
Done!
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

Just starting to play this, but can I say generally, when someone posts a new platformer, PLEASE state how many levels there are! :)
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

DVDfever wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:18 am Just starting to play this, but can I say generally, when someone posts a new platformer, PLEASE state how many levels there are! :)
it has 10 levels plus a boss level (plus a training level)
you can see each one by pressing N to skip
(Q+A to restart if you need it )
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

I don't know about having to reveal how many levels there are, there seems to be a rush to have walkthroughs & spoilers for absolutely every single element of pretty much every brand new Speccy game within moments of release (especially when Devs have spent months crafting them), so it's nice to retain some mystery, even if it's only for a few hours.
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

gabriele amore wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:05 am it has 10 levels plus a boss level (plus a training level)
you can see each one by pressing N to skip
(Q+A to restart if you need it )
That's awesome, thanks :)
Daveysloan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:41 pm I don't know about having to reveal how many levels there are, there seems to be a rush to have walkthroughs & spoilers for absolutely every single element of pretty much every brand new Speccy game within moments of release (especially when Devs have spent months crafting them), so it's nice to retain some mystery, even if it's only for a few hours.
Don't watch them, then. Simples.
RichardHallas
Drutt

Post by RichardHallas »

gabriele amore wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:08 pm Hey
(at keast i hope so..)
G
Hi,

I'm sorry, but I've just found another very similar bug.

If you complete a level and get into the truck, and then you drive off, PASSING A SHEPHERD as you go (i.e. the shepherd is to the left of the truck as you leave), then instead of the completed level finishing, the 'caught' animation plays at the point where your character entered the truck, and you have to play it all over again…

Let's hope this is the last end-of-level bug to be found!

EDIT: No it isn't! I've just found another one, which is that you can be hooked by a shepherd's crook at the exact moment you enter the truck. If that happens, you die and see the 'caught' animation, but at the same time, the truck drives away behind the death animation… so it's as though you've been pulled out of the cab of the truck as it leaves!
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

RichardHallas wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:30 pm Hi,

If you complete a level and get into the truck, and then you drive off, PASSING A SHEPHERD as you go (i.e. the shepherd is to the left of the truck as you leave), then instead of the completed level finishing, the 'caught' animation plays at the point where your character entered the truck, and you have to play it all over again…

EDIT: No it isn't! I've just found another one, which is that you can be hooked by a shepherd's crook at the exact moment you enter the truck. If that happens, you die and see the 'caught' animation, but at the same time, the truck drives away behind the death animation… so it's as though you've been pulled out of the cab of the truck as it leaves!
oh i found where the bug is... well it will take me a bit to fix it ... let's see what i can do about it
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Superb! This is one of your best games Gab. Your trademark graphics are as gorgeous as ever, and you've got the playability spot on for me. The enemy behaviour is well judged too. They are pretty crafty when they change direction or decide to hang about.

Great soundFX and music from Lee too - they really suit the game.
Lee Bee wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:12 pm (Credit to Duran Duran for the in-game tune I remixed.) :-)
I guessed it was a riff on Donna Summer's 'I feel love'. Is it Duran Duran's cover of that?
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:17 pm Superb! This is one of your best games Gab. Your trademark graphics are as gorgeous as ever, and you've got the playability spot on for me. The enemy behaviour is well judged too. They are pretty crafty when they change direction or decide to hang about.

Great soundFX and music from Lee too - they really suit the game.

I guessed it was a riff on Donna Summer's 'I feel love'. Is it Duran Duran's cover of that?
Thanks!
no that is "Hungry like the wolf" by Duran Duran :D
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Post by ParadigmShifter »

Surely Baa-baa-rella should be one of the sheep then?

"I'll blow you all away - with my positronic ray!" - Duran Duran (villain, not the band)
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

RichardHallas wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:30 pm Hi,

the new version should be ok now ... at least THAT bug should have been taken care for