Devfinitive Edition (Fergus McNeil): discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Devfinitive Edition (Fergus McNeil): discussion

Post by PeteProdge »

Okay, this one's gonna be the final Devfinitive Edition for a while. That's not to say it's not coming back, it certainly will, but heading into Spring, I'm going to turn attention for my Sunday poll over to something I have heavily covered before, but it'll be in a format different enough to be worthwhile. Honest. More on that next Sunday.

Anyway, for you text adventure fans, we turn our attentions to Fergus McNeil, who was primarily a Delta 4 guy.

Big Sleaze, The by Piranha
Boggit, the by CRL
Bored Of The Rings by Delta 4
Colour Of Magic, The by Piranha
Dragonstar Trilogy, The: Part 1 by Delta 4
Dragonstar Trilogy, The: Part 2 by Delta 4
Dragonstar Trilogy, The: Part 3 by Delta 4
Intravoid by Delta 4 Software
Mindfighter by Abstract Concepts
Murder Off Miami by CRL
Quest For The Holy Joystick by Delta 4
Return Of The Holy Joystick by Delta 4
Robin Of Sherlock by Silversoft
Sherwood Forest by Delta 4

Lemme know if there's owt wrong with the above shortlist before next Sunday!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Re: Devfinitive Edition (Fergus McNeil): discussion

Post by hitm4n »

Although i didn't get far in it, i loved Mindfighter. Had a big box copy of that with the book for many years. Don't recall what happened to it, probably sold it on ebay. Wish i still had it.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

For the purposes of this I would probably suggest combining the Dragonstar entries. They're really multiple parts of the same game and when I asked Fergus I seem to remember that he thought the advert that suggests he was selling them separately may have just been badly worded. (They were only ever reviewed as a single "trilogy" entity).
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

A lot of the others are multi-part games, so you definitely don't want to be splitting those up as well.

I liked the way you could save your game at the end of one part and load it into the next. It's an obvious trick when you know how tools like The Quill work, and helps get around the tight memory limits without losing continuity. I'm not sure if he was the first to do it but it's certainly something he used a lot.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Intravoid is also known as Galaxias (usually found on the 4most adventures compilation tape)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

8BitAG wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:29 pm For the purposes of this I would probably suggest combining the Dragonstar entries. They're really multiple parts of the same game and when I asked Fergus I seem to remember that he thought the advert that suggests he was selling them separately may have just been badly worded. (They were only ever reviewed as a single "trilogy" entity).
Matt_B wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:12 pm A lot of the others are multi-part games, so you definitely don't want to be splitting those up as well.
It's rare that I go against my own ground rules, but yeah, I think I'll have the Dragonstar Trilogy treated as one whole thing, so here's the new list:

Big Sleaze, The by Piranha
Boggit, The by CRL
Bored Of The Rings by Delta 4
Colour Of Magic, The by Piranha
Dragonstar Trilogy, The by Delta 4
Intravoid by Delta 4 Software
Mindfighter by Abstract Concepts
Murder Off Miami by CRL
Quest For The Holy Joystick by Delta 4
Return Of The Holy Joystick by Delta 4
Robin Of Sherlock by Silversoft
Sherwood Forest by Delta 4
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!