DenOfGeek : The games that defined the Spectrum

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Re: DenOfGeek : The games that defined the Spectrum

Post by akeley »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:19 am Not minor by any means, but there's a chasm between us hardcore Speccy fans still using the platform to this day, and what the mass market of Speccy owners were doing back in the day.

The reality is that most Speccy users were there for Robocop, Batman, Out Run, Platoon, Match Day, etc. I witnessed that from kids at school, barely any of them would enthuse over anything as cerebral as a text adventure or a strategy game. The vast majority wanted coin-op conversions, never gave a toss about programming or utilities, and so treated their Spectrum as a bedroom-based arcade machine.

There were some outliers, like the Dizzy series being really popular, and of course, Ultimate games are spoken with huge respect, as are classics like Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy and Chuckie Egg.

In retrospect, you can see why games consoles took over.

If you wanted to make money from making and selling Speccy games back in the day, you provide coin-op conversions, movie licenses and keep it all simple. Nothing deep! Sad but true.
Nah, sorry, I can't agree with that assertion. I'd insist that the "intelligent" (for the lack of better word) fare made up at least half of Spectrum's DNA. And there were plenty of successful not-so-simple franchises which prove that point. From Gollop, through Durell, to Level 9 - these people were making money, otherwise they'd quit and fold. Of course, just like with any other media, the sales of pop-oriented hits, potboilers, and blockbusters might dwarf other stuff, but it doesn't make it insignificant overall, even from financial point of view, no just cultural.

I mention this here because it's a little pet peeve of mine, that modern impression that micro/computer users were just interested in playing arcade games. People seem to forget it wasn't just little kids (with 0 spending power) who played games, and how massively popular genres such as flight sims, strategy, CRPG, adventure, and yes - even IF! - were back in the day. Spectrum was a little underpowered to cater for the biggest hits from these genres, but even so you can just look at the top 100 lists to see it's not all about just simple fare. And that's what I also remember from my own experience - me and my mates would love to play stuff as varied as Renegade one minute and Movie or Mercenary the next.

It's also the reason why consoles didn't really "take over" - more like PCs did. And PC games have the roots in the more cerberal stuff, which also bleed to console zone (though even there it wasn't alwas all so actioney). One can just look at the modern charts to see that - how many "simple" STGs or platformers will you find there?
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

For me one of the games that defines the Speccy is Wanted:Monty Mole. I know it was multi-platform but when it was released it was one of the games that everyone wanted (pun fully intended). At the local computer club our 1hr allotted time in the high cool canteen was spent making as many copies of W:MM as possible.
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

stupidget wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:31 am For me one of the games that defines the Speccy is Wanted:Monty Mole. I know it was multi-platform but when it was released it was one of the games that everyone wanted (pun fully intended). At the local computer club our 1hr allotted time in the high cool canteen was spent making as many copies of W:MM as possible.
This statement got me wondering if this is just cognitive bias? :) WMM was never particularly on my radar (none of the MM games were, and I still haven't played them) nor particularly mentioned by any friends BITD. Sure enough, WMM was never even reviewed in SU (for better or worse, the mag I read) although it got great scores in the others. So I'm guessing a lot of it depends which mag(s) someone subscribed to.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Wanted Monty Mole was definitely a big game on the spectrum, although it was also released on the C64, they were two completely different games. The C64 version was written by Tony Crowther and was more of a Spelunker/Son of Blagger scrolling platform game and was fairly average.

The Spectrum version definitely gave you bragging rights over the C64 owners in the playground and it was the Spectrum version that became the basis of the sequels Monty is Innocent and Auf Wiedersehen Monty on all platforms.

It also helped that it got a lot of attention in the press due to the game having Arthur Scargill on the loading screen plus mentions of “Arthur’s Castle” in the inlay as well as being released at the time of the Miners Strike. It even got some mainstream press coverage due to the controversy, like Raid over Moscow did.

I definitely spent more time on Monty Mole than Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy, maybe it was because it was slightly easier to explore more screens.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

I thought I'd finally create a ChatGPT account and see if I could replicate that article somewhat. The results aren't exactly a million miles away.

The request was "Write a short essay on how the Sinclair ZX Spectrum affected the UK gaming industry and list it's most notable games."

Result:

The Sinclair ZX Spectrum, released in 1982, is often regarded as one of the most iconic and influential computers in the history of the United Kingdom's gaming industry. Its impact can hardly be overstated, as it played a pivotal role in shaping the landscape of gaming not only in the UK but also globally. This compact, affordable home computer introduced millions of users to the world of gaming, programming, and digital entertainment, leaving an indelible mark on the industry.

One of the most significant impacts of the ZX Spectrum was its accessibility. Priced competitively and designed to be user-friendly, it brought computing and gaming into countless homes across the UK. Its affordability democratized access to technology, allowing a generation of enthusiasts, hobbyists, and aspiring developers to explore the realms of programming and game design from the comfort of their own homes.

The ZX Spectrum's influence extended beyond mere hardware; its software library is a testament to its enduring legacy. A plethora of innovative and groundbreaking games graced the platform, defining genres, and setting new standards for gameplay and storytelling. From classic arcade adaptations to original creations, the ZX Spectrum boasted a diverse array of titles that captivated players and fueled the burgeoning gaming culture of the 1980s.

Among the most notable games for the ZX Spectrum are:

"Manic Miner" (1983) - Developed by Matthew Smith, this platform game is widely regarded as one of the greatest ZX Spectrum titles of all time, featuring challenging levels, quirky design, and addictive gameplay.

"Jet Set Willy" (1984) - A sequel to "Manic Miner," this game continued the adventures of Miner Willy in an expansive and surreal mansion filled with traps and puzzles.

"Chuckie Egg" (1983) - A beloved platformer developed by Nigel Alderton, "Chuckie Egg" challenged players to collect eggs while avoiding adversaries, offering addictive gameplay and charming graphics.

"Elite" (1984) - Developed by David Braben and Ian Bell, "Elite" revolutionized the space trading and combat genre with its open-world exploration, procedural generation, and immersive gameplay.

"Dizzy" series (1987 onwards) - Created by the Oliver Twins, the "Dizzy" series featured whimsical puzzle-platforming adventures starring the egg-shaped hero Dizzy, captivating players with its charm and ingenuity.

"Knight Lore" (1984) - Developed by Ultimate Play the Game (later Rare), "Knight Lore" introduced isometric graphics and innovative gameplay mechanics, influencing countless future titles.

"Horace Goes Skiing" (1982) - Developed by Psion Software, this humorous game challenged players to guide Horace through a series of skiing challenges and traffic hazards.

These are just a few examples of the countless games that left an indelible mark on the ZX Spectrum platform. Collectively, they helped establish the UK as a powerhouse in the global gaming industry, laying the groundwork for future innovation and creativity.

In conclusion, the Sinclair ZX Spectrum's impact on the UK gaming industry cannot be overstated. Its accessibility, affordability, and rich library of games democratized gaming and programming, fostering a vibrant community of enthusiasts and developers. The platform's legacy lives on in the hearts of gamers and creators alike, serving as a testament to the transformative power of technology and innovation.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Using @Vampyre's prompt in Google's AI offering, Gemini, brings a result citing a shorter game list which will give you deja vu.
Google Gemini AI wrote: The ZX Spectrum: A Spark That Ignited the UK Gaming Industry

The arrival of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum in 1982 wasn't just a moment in tech history, it was a revolution for the UK gaming industry. This affordable home computer, priced strategically for the mass market, became a gateway to interactive entertainment for countless British households. Here's how the Spectrum left its indelible mark:
  • A Flood of Games: The Spectrum's affordability fostered a thriving software market. With a vast user base, developers churned out a constant stream of titles. From platformers like Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy to innovative isometric adventures like Knight Lore, the Spectrum boasted a diverse library that catered to all tastes.
  • Budget Games for All: Publishers like Mastertronic capitalized on the pocket money market with budget titles priced at a mere £1.99. This accessibility ensured a constant influx of young players and fueled a generation's passion for gaming.
  • Breeding Ground for Talent: The Spectrum's relatively open architecture allowed hobbyists to tinker and code. This accessibility gave birth to a legion of talented programmers who honed their skills and later went on to become industry leaders. Studios like Rare, known for iconic titles like GoldenEye 007, trace their roots back to the Spectrum's vibrant coding scene.
Spectrum Classics:
  • Manic Miner (1983): A pioneering platformer that showcased the potential of the home computer.
  • Jet Set Willy (1984): A quirky and challenging platformer known for its offbeat humor.
  • Knight Lore (1984): A groundbreaking isometric adventure that pushed the boundaries of 3D graphics on the Spectrum.
  • Chuckie Egg (1984): A fast-paced and addictive collect-a-thon that captured the hearts of many a Spectrum owner.
  • Elite (1984): A revolutionary space trading simulation that laid the groundwork for future spacefaring adventures.
The ZX Spectrum's influence transcended its own era. It fostered a love for gaming in a generation, nurtured exceptional talent, and established the UK as a force to be reckoned with in the global gaming industry. Even today, the vibrant retro gaming scene keeps the Spectrum's legacy alive, a testament to the enduring impact of this remarkable machine.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:12 am Yes, it was a fairly obscure and underrated game around the time of its release, no doubt about that, but it achieved cult status from that first appearance on YS's covertape. That's what we call a sleeper hit.
The idea that Your Sinclair single-handedly plucked the previously maligned Chaos out of nowhere and made it famous is a bit of a myth.

1. Chaos was never underrated - the average magazine review score is 77%. The original wasn't successful because Games Workshop left the software market almost as soon as it was released.

2. It had already been a hit for Firebird on their budget label in 1988.

3. The YS cover tape came a few months after the release of Lords of Chaos in April 1990 (which had also been on a YS covertape as a demo) so awareness of Chaos was already high. This was following an increase in the popularity of Julian Gollop's games in general due to Krisalis Software being brought in for distribution and marketing which led to the re-released Laser Squad reaching the Spectrum Top 5 in late 1989.