What are the speech samples saying, in Auf Wiedersehen Monty?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
equinox
Dynamite Dan

What are the speech samples saying, in Auf Wiedersehen Monty?

Post by equinox »

"Money"?
"Burgers"? (I may have dreamed this one)
"Ouch"?
"Link it"...???

And who said them? At least one is female.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Re: What are the speech samples saying, in Auf Wiedersehen Monty?

Post by Lee Bee »

They're saying "WASSABABY! WASSABABY! HA HA! WASSABABY! THAT'S THE WAY TO DO IT! GHOSTBUSTERS WAHAHAHAHAHA!"
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

No you're thinking of "Punchy" (2023 Marvel remake).
If I have a really boring afternoon then I might record the Auf samples just so we can hear them. But not tonight.

As I was saying to Dok the other night: I thought Auf was amazing, the little attention to detail, the cute little national anthems (remember this was optional!!) and stuff like picking up the vinyl in Luxembourg and Monty Mole automatically doing a little breakdance -- or carefully collecting all those flight tickets and then having them nicked by the "bad" communist airport. The flight subgame was fairly dull though.

May I also say: RIP Ben Daglish, you beauty. The writer of most of my favourite Speccy game tunes (yeah I know this one was a Rob Hubbard conversion)... Listen to Terramex and Switchblade. Really good.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I always heard the main one as "Minky". I have absolutely no idea what this means and I'm almost certainly mishearing it.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

equinox wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 pm May I also say: RIP Ben Daglish, you beauty. The writer of most of my favourite Speccy game tunes (yeah I know this one was a Rob Hubbard conversion)... Listen to Terramex and Switchblade. Really good.
Agreed, what a legend and such a sad loss. I did a Speccy re-make of his classic Deflektor tune from the Amiga.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Minty, Minted, money.

All I know is that the RZX video is painful to watch as the person playing it keeps pausing on a platform for a few seconds, walks around in circles and goes backwards and forwards over and over again.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

MatGubbins wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 pm The RZX video is painful to watch as the person playing it keeps pausing on a platform for a few seconds, walks around in circles and goes backwards and forwards over and over again.
Two other games where the RZX has inexplicable waiting are Robin of The Wood and Hungry Horace.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

MatGubbins wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 pm Minty, Minted, money.

All I know is that the RZX video is painful to watch as the person playing it keeps pausing on a platform for a few seconds, walks around in circles and goes backwards and forwards over and over again.
Fairly sure it was Daren who did that, and it might have been a really early one.

I'd always intended to make an update (going via a pre-planned efficient route), but it was not to be...
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

Lee Bee wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:08 pm Two other games where the RZX has inexplicable waiting are Robin of The Wood and Hungry Horace.
Having watched the Hungry Horace RZX replay dozens of times recently (while developing the RZX player that will appear in the next version of SkoolKit), I don't think the waiting is inexplicable. <pedantry>It's ultimately pointless, perhaps, but not really inexplicable.</pedantry>
SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

SkoolKid wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:47 pmI don't think the waiting is inexplicable.
By "inexplicable", I just meant I had no explanation.
mjwilson
Dizzy

Post by mjwilson »

This thread is really confusing for me - I played Auf Wiedersehen Monty a lot - I don't think I completed it but I got, I dunno, 2/3rds of the island showing up in the status area - but I have absolutely no recollection of speech samples. But I downloaded a .tzx and there they were, as early as the second screen. Was there a version released without them? Or did I just blank them from my mind?

(I had it on the "6 Game Action Pack" from Boots for the +3 - that is in the archive, but the downloads is a tzx not a dsk, so I don't know whether it's really the same version.)
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

mjwilson wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:31 am This thread is really confusing for me - I played Auf Wiedersehen Monty a lot - I don't think I completed it but I got, I dunno, 2/3rds of the island showing up in the status area - but I have absolutely no recollection of speech samples. But I downloaded a .tzx and there they were, as early as the second screen. Was there a version released without them? Or did I just blank them from my mind?

(I had it on the "6 Game Action Pack" from Boots for the +3 - that is in the archive, but the downloads is a tzx not a dsk, so I don't know whether it's really the same version.)
Load it in 48K and there will be no speech samples. Then again, how's that done with a disc version?
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
mjwilson
Dizzy

Post by mjwilson »

TMD2003 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:03 pm Load it in 48K and there will be no speech samples. Then again, how's that done with a disc version?
Yeah I definitely would have been loading in +3 mode.