The insane engineering of the Game Boy

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

The insane engineering of the Game Boy

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Re: The insane engineering of the Game Boy

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Caught ths a couple of days ago in my feed, a great video with a lot of interesting insights and some fantastic graphics (not the Gameboy ones!) - got me to subscribe to the channel anyway.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

An interesting and slick video spoiled by the end where it disingenuously morphs into a commercial.
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

As someone who had made a simple thing on the Game boy -- it's very similar to z80 after all --, I find this video to be interesting but also has a lot of interesting and almost correct details.

Like that blowing cartridges is only for the gameboy, or that it has exactly 65000 bytes, or even how the screen is built up with it's viewport.

That doesn't detract from the fact that it's a piece of engineering, but if any of you would explain the engineering feats of the Spectrum, it would probably be even more impressive.

EDIT: The video gets boring at the end so much I missed the part where it was an ad.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Timmy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:14 pm it's very similar to z80 after all
Yeah, in a way, the Game Boy is like a distant member of the Speccy family and I'm sure there are many of us here with a real fondness for its humble hardware—even if we never owned one. Spec-chums derive satisfaction in the art of crafting games from simple, limited hardware. Plus most of us enjoy monochrome games and square-wave music. :dance Had the screen just been a little bigger and clearer, I could almost call it a perfect hand-held format.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

I own 2, which were last month featured on a national Finnish TV kids news program in a feature about Tetris (my boy is a reporter for them). It's in Swedish. Filmed at my desk

https://arenan.yle.fi/1-68318403
Definition of loop : see loop
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Turtle_Quality wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:40 pm I own 2, which were last month featured on a national Finnish TV kids news program in a feature about Tetris (my boy is a reporter for them). It's in Swedish. Filmed at my desk

https://arenan.yle.fi/1-68318403
Forgot to mention, the Tetris piece starts about 7:30 in the video
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

A friend of mine built two gigantic wooden ones, with the screens driven by Gamecubes emulating GameBoys, linked together to play Tetris!
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

More Gameboy love, this time in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2024/ ... cal-worlds