High Score Table tales

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
akeley
Dynamite Dan

High Score Table tales

Post by akeley »

Some games have high score tables, and some of these tables have intriguing/funny/silly entries. I think about making this topic every time I see an amusing HST, then promptly forget about it - so now my only example is a somewhat mild Saboteur. Who are "The Cat", "Skarface" or "Mat Le Fat"? Do you think these were real characters, like wife's pet or a hated clerk from accounting - or just filler?

What are your examples of other interesting HSTs?

(ok, I bet somebody made a similar topic before in the fast-moving world of this forum but I couldn't find it)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: High Score Table tales

Post by Morkin »

Dark Star

(Supertramp lyrics I believe).

Apparently some of these Design Design score tables also had a whole load of responses if you typed certain things into the high score table.

(Crash letters page). Not sure if there's a full list somewhere?
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

Terra Cresta had an interesting hi-score table if you read it top to bottom:

I always wondered why Claire had that nickname in Lap of the Gods:

Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

Morkin wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:02 am Apparently some of these Design Design score tables also had a whole load of responses if you typed certain things into the high score table.

(Crash letters page). Not sure if there's a full list somewhere?
There's a load of info about Design Design/Crystal games here:
https://worldofspectrum.net/equinox/egg ... design.php
goodboy
Microbot

Post by goodboy »

remembered the game `chronos`
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

Lee P wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:26 pm There's a load of info about Design Design/Crystal games here:
Following the link, I downloaded the "Spectacle" program, which it seems to be a fake teletext bundled with Dark Star.

Well, the fake teletext has the date set on 1st of April.

Imagine my shock when I launched it on the emulator TODAY.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I remember Exolon having one of the longest high-score tables ever seen on the Spectrum
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Lee P wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:26 pm There's a load of info about Design Design/Crystal games here:
Ah - brilliant..! Exactly what I was after, thanks. I thought I'd seen it somewhere...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

I just remembered to come here and comment on this. (Theres an article on the file Darkstar at https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 ... fi-forever). Crystal and Design Design are the kings of the high score table. Many of the entries are references to the film Darkstar, they must have been besotted by it (Sgt Pinback etc). Many of the other references are from other 70s trippy scifi, and over the years before the internet it was a delight to discover the references (Speaker to animals, Muad'Dib). Never came across Kickaha though.

Dark Star is so proud of its high score list its possibly the only game that gives the option to save, load and even print the high score table.