ZX-VGA-JOY and M30 Bluetooth controller

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
LunarWilly
Drutt

ZX-VGA-JOY and M30 Bluetooth controller

Post by LunarWilly »

I just received my ZX-VGA-JOY add on interface today, and was wondering if anyone knows if the 8BitDo M30 Bluetooth Megadrive/Genesis controller is compatible with its Kempston port? I'm hesitant to try it in case the wireless dongle draws too much current. Should probably mention I'm using a 48K with a new 7805 regulator fitted.
Old-User
Dizzy

Re: ZX-VGA-JOY and M30 Bluetooth controller

Post by Old-User »

I don't know if the ZX-VGA-JOY interface has been updated in any way but I got mine some years ago and the kempston port doesn't have +5v on pin 7, so autofire joysticks that require it don't work.

If the dongle draws current from the same pin to operate probably it will not too but I could be wrong.
Don't know what is the megadrive controller pinout but perhaps it would be preferable to check it out carefully before plugging it in just to be on the safe side...
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

I had similar concerns using a 9pin wireless RF dongle for a Retrobit Saturn controller with a DivMMC Future.

It works fine on a 48K, but it seems to make the DivMMC a bit unstable on my toastrack. As in, the NMI will often crash the machine requiring a full power down. Perhaps it draws a bit too much power.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

I know Ben at ByteDelight had some concerns that Megadrive controllers were killing his divMMCs, but I don't know if anything was ever proved.

(I know this topic is not about the Next, but after mentioning safety concerns, I can reassure people that the Next IS designed to work safely with Megadrive controllers, including the 8bitdo M30 bluetooth and 2.4G dongles.)
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
adam
Drutt

Post by adam »

Might be easier to buy a modern dedicated Kempston interface and put it before the VGA-JOY (I can test this setup tomorrow if you would like?)