First tape/games you got with your ZX Spectrum

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
firelord
Manic Miner

First tape/games you got with your ZX Spectrum

Post by firelord »

I have discused this before but I don't think we had a topic about this (the admins can prove me wrong :) )
So, when I got my ZX spectrum it had a tape (seemed like copy/pirated) with :
Jet Pac, Pssst, Cookie , Chequered Flag , Moi Reversi, Psion Backgammon and Psion Chess. It also contained a booklet with the manuals of all these games (probably photocopy) .
I also had the ZX Guide companion cassete and AtariSoft Pacman (even though I can't remember if I bought Pacman with my ZX or 2-3 days later).

So, for me Jet Pac is the Wii Sports of the ZX Spectrum.

What was the games that came with your ZX Spectrum package or you bought them on the same day?
bobs
Microbot

Re: First tape/games you got with your ZX Spectrum

Post by bobs »

Space Raiders & Planetoids. There wasn’t much choice at launch
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

My 48k came with the now legendary Horizon tape and the Sinclair Six Pack ( scrabble, horace goes skiing, chequered flag, make a chip, survival & Chess). On the same day we picked the Speccy up from Boots ( yes kids you used to be able to buy computers from a chemists 🤣), I also bought Luna Crabs.

When I upgraded to a 128 in ‘88 it came with 6 awful games that I can’t be arsed to list, but I also bought Chase HQ.
Last edited by stupidget on Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RST#08
Drutt

Post by RST#08 »

Adventure A: Planet of Death. IIRC it came with my Spectrum, along with Horizons of course.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

The ZX Spectrum +2 of a friend had Oh Mummy, Alien Destroyer, Punchy, Treasure island, Crazy Gold and Disco Dan. (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... m/Soft_888)
Also a good selection for introduction games.
Spoiler
Crafty88
Drutt

Post by Crafty88 »

My 48K came with the Horizons tape. Think first game got was Jumping Jack.
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Planetoids, Survival, Make a Chip, Chequered Flag and a few others. And I bought Pengo or Pengy or something like that.
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

Dixons Spectrum+ bundle, Christmas 1985. In descending order of how often I loaded them:

Horace Goes Skiing
Chequered Flag
Starion
Planetoids
Scrabble
Reversi
Chess
Survival
Make-A-Chip
VU-3D

No Horizons tape, but there was a Spectrum+ guide which included a sideways Breakout/Thro The Wall clone and a maze game. I spent more time on those two simple games than everything on that list except the first two.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

When I got my Spectrum+ I'm also got Match Day and Raid Over Moscow. Not bad for a start! :)
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

Christmas '83 it came with Horizons and we got Pool, Hunchback and Football Manager. Played all 3 to death, still love Pool & FM, have a bit of a love/hate thing with Hunchback.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Lee P wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:11 pm
No Horizons tape, but there was a Spectrum+ guide which included a sideways Breakout/Thro The Wall clone and a maze game. I spent more time on those two simple games than everything on that list except the first two.
I believe you mean this : https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/9 ... n_Cassette
I had this too. Simple but fun games :)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Ridiculously happy with this Dixons pack-in for my 128K +2 in late 1987. I genuinely don't think there's been a better pack-in selection, and that's even counting the Tynesoft duffers and Harry S Price plagiarism. (Alright, maybe if you count a bunch of games from a second-hand seller and/or some C90s of pirated games, you could get better than this, but in a legitimate way, this is the best. And I realise that I'm saying that about a collection with a few dodgy Harry S Price games...)

I spent ages on Green Beret, Donkey Kong and Mikie.

Konami Coin-Op Hits
  • Green Beret
  • Yie Ar Kung-Fu
  • Hyper Sports
  • Mikie
  • Ping Pong
Screen Heroes
  • Street Hawk
  • Daley Thompson's Supertest
  • Knight Rider
  • Miami Vice
  • Rambo
  • Frankie Goes To Hollywood
  • Highlander
Ocean: Mario Bros + Donkey Kong
  • Mario Bros
  • Donkey Kong
128 Tynesoft 4-Pack
  • Colin The Cleaner
  • Blizzard Pass
  • Witchfiend
  • Odd Job Eddie
Ian Botham's Test Match + Superfile
  • Ian Botham's Test Match
  • Superfile 128[/b]
Last edited by PeteProdge on Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Wizwords
Microbot

Post by Wizwords »

I used to think mine was a Dixons bundle but I'm not sure now. It was a 48K+ Christmas 1985 and I got:-

Chess
Scrabble
Survival (but no make a chip)
Tasword 2

And a bunch of Imagine games:-

Alchemist
BC Bill
Cosmic Cruiser
Pedro
Ah Diddums
Arcadia
Zzoom
Stonkers
Molar Maul
Jumping Jack
Buy my book, ZX Nightmares, here: https://fusionretrobooks.com/collection ... 8102529118
Subscribe to On The ZX Spectrum here: https://onthezxspectrum.eo.page/onthezxspectrum
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

I was incredibly lucky the day I got my 48K (Xmas Day 1983) in that my dad worked with a young bloke who was a videogame nut. I had a few originals that my parents bought that day (Jetpac, Gobbleman, 3D Quadracube amongst a good ten or so) but this lad supplied me with a big cassette case full of (pirated) games from 1982 to Dec 1983. I easily had 50 or so. Amongst the most memorable:

The Hobbit
Atic Atac
Timegate
Oracle's Cave
Lunar Jetman
Cookie

So many others I can't think of at the moment.

On the minuscule chance that the person in question frequents these forums. If your name is Lee Tucker and you worked for Barrow & Tromans in the 80's... I owe you a lot of beers!
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Vampyre wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:53 am If your name is Lee Tucker and you worked for Barrow & Tromans in the 80's... I owe you a lot of beers!
This seems like a FAST sting.
rich_r
Drutt

Post by rich_r »

Another 48K with the Sinclair Six pack here. I played Horace and Chequered Flag a huge amount, also Survival, but then got fascinated by Make-A-Chip (probably why I went on to do an degree in electronics 10 years later!)
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

I got on first tape these. Luckily, my aunt tape deck successfully copied this tape to tape...

Mask III : Venom strikes back
Eric and the floaters
PSST
Stop the ITA
Manic miner
Atic atac
Chequered flag
Draughts
Movie
Down to Earth
Into the eagles nest
Renegade
Sweevo
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

For me , the original new 48K from the Co-Op came with the Sinclair Six Pack:

Chequered Flag / Make A Chip / Scrabble / Horace Goes Skiing / Survival / Chess , and obviously Horizons in the box itself.

I do note some later "six packs" had Tasword and/or VU3D in them instead, this was likely with the 48K+ machines (Best Guess)

The new grey Plus2 from Dixons (Or Curry's I forget) came with:

Disco Dan / Oh Mummy / Treasure IIsland / Alien Destroyer / Golf / Punchy and I think DTST128 as well, this might of been in the box.

I can't remember what my new +3 (mail order, can't recall who from) came with. The other machines I've had were "previously enjoyed" so did not come with anything usually.
I know I did not get that disc with Cosmic Wartoad on, the Ocean 'disk' as such. I suspect it did not have any disks with it or maybe one blank one.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Horizons, Hungry Horace and Atic Atac.

Not a bad start.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Mpk wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am This seems like a FAST sting.
:lol: :lol: Judging what I pirated on the Speccy, ST, PC, SNES, Megadrive, PSX and Wii over the years... I'd be screwed.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

rich_r wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:24 am Another 48K with the Sinclair Six pack here. I played Horace and Chequered Flag a huge amount, also Survival, but then got fascinated by Make-A-Chip (probably why I went on to do an degree in electronics 10 years later!)
Oh so that's where I went wrong! If only I'd loaded it more than once.

Mind you, I've never learned to ski or driven a racing car round the Österreichring either.
MustardTiger
Microbot

Post by MustardTiger »

I had two games with my speccy. Mikrogen Space Zombies and I forget the other. Space Zombies didn't even work correctly, the ship would move left by itself randomly.
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Lee P wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:11 pm Dixons Spectrum+ bundle, Christmas 1985. In descending order of how often I loaded them:

Horace Goes Skiing
Chequered Flag
Starion
Planetoids
Scrabble
Reversi
Chess
Survival
Make-A-Chip
VU-3D

Ah, that's exactly the bundle I got.

Shockingly, I went in with my mum to get a C16 as that's what my best friend had but the shop assistant in Dixons talked her into getting me a Speccy and whoever he is, he's basically the man to have ever lived.
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

Horizons and the six pack of Scrabble, Horace goes Skiing, Chequered Flag, Make a Chip, Survival & Chess with a 48K rubber keyboard.
Horace, Chequered Flag, Chess and Scrabble got played quite a lot.
Make a Chip was quickly utilised as a blank tape for saving my own badly coded Basic experiments. :lol:
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

blucey wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:55 pm Ah, that's exactly the bundle I got.

Shockingly, I went in with my mum to get a C16 as that's what my best friend had but the shop assistant in Dixons talked her into getting me a Speccy and whoever he is, he's basically the man to have ever lived.
I very nearly got a C16 too, because I knew we had very little money and it was the cheapest option. Even when I started to unwrap it on Christmas Day I thought it was a C16. A Speccy was beyond my wildest dreams (and my mum's bank balance - she got it on HP and it took ages to pay off)