Ian's Baby

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
arjun
Microbot

Ian's Baby

Post by arjun »

When I first loaded up the superb Tau Ceti by Pete Cooke, in late 1989 I believe, I was surprised to see that the BASIC loader was titled "Ian's Baby" and I've always wondered about it ever since. Well I'm glad that the mystery was finally put to rest for me after 3 decades and I hope this info is of interest to others too who have been curious about this.

The answer comes by way of Sinclair User March 1986 issue which has a feature on Tau Ceti. It's apparently an homage to Ian Ellery, who was the software director at CRL (employers of Pete Cooke) at the time. Ian was very obsessed with the development of Tau Ceti and so Pete Cooke decided to honor him at the beginning of the program. " ... when you load it up, you'll find that the very first program file is called Ian's Baby'."

End of PSA. :)
blucey
Manic Miner

Re: Ian's Baby

Post by blucey »

Tau Ceti. Man, one of those games that I just didn't 'get' but wish I did because so many people seem to love it.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Re: Ian's Baby

Post by Nitrowing »

blucey wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:19 am Tau Ceti. Man, one of those games that I just didn't 'get' but wish I did because so many people seem to love it.
Yeah, I won it in a Crash competition (to design a spaceship) and didn't rate it :(