LERM Conversion Utility 5F problem

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
outey
Drutt

LERM Conversion Utility 5F problem

Post by outey »

Hi all

I love playing around with the old copy utils, seeing what they can achieve, learning all the tricks to get them to convert to normal ROM loaders, but particularly the LERM releases. Can anyone work out why LERM Conversion Util 5F doesn't run? it seems to crash after loading, tried different emulators and even real hardware, all with the same result:-

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... Utility_5F just hangs on the loading screen

Similarly, https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... _Utility_3 crashes right after loading with a scroll? message.

The only one that runs is https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... _Utility_1 and I believe that was only recently uploaded, so perhaps they are just bad conversions? (no pun intended)

If any of you clever bods can fix these issues, you'd make an old Speccy owner very happy :)

Thanks in advance!
Outey
jpnz
Manic Miner

Re: LERM Conversion Utility 5F problem

Post by jpnz »

In the past, I'd found the LERM utilities much much harder to load than the actual games I wanted to "backup"

All the CU<version>F utilities are designed specifically for working with the Firebird Bleepload scheme

With the CU5F TZX this will load with Spectaculator as long fast loading is enabled

When fast loading is disabled, there seems to be trouble loading the later blocks that have really short headers and no gaps

TUD might be a good alternative - it's a ROM based loader, so it will work on anything, plus there are instructions in the archive

On the tape image are three distinct programs:

TUD - the copier itself
COMB - a combination of TUD plus the Speedlock I/II/II, Alkatraz and Firebird conversion utilities
TYPE - attempts to determine which loading scheme a tape is

This is the COMB menu:

I did make a CSW image of my original copy of TUC a couple of weeks back

The image works well with Spectaculator and real hardware, although the tape only includes CU5 - not CU5F
outey
Drutt

Post by outey »

Thanks, I didnt realise the F was just for Firebird :)

You say if I enable fast loading it should work, but I'm still not able to load https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... Utility_5F in Spectaculator

These are the settings I'm using as you can see its already ticked :-

Are you able to share your copy of TUC please? again the one on SC crashes for me and as it contains CU5 thats got more functionality as you say than CU5F.

I can load COMB fine and use it, I made the post because I just wanted to play around with the earlier versions of the Conversion Util rather than the latest, to see how its changed over time.
jpnz
Manic Miner

Post by jpnz »

Oh, that's interesting - I've got slightly different settings for the cassette recorder:

Stop at end of tape is unset?!

You can change that by selecting Auto play / stop, then un-selecting Stop at end of tape and then un-selecting Auto play /stop

I wonder if that makes a difference? There is a 6 ms pause after the very last block in the CU5F TZX

I've uploaded the CSW version of TUC to the archive which you can get here before it's officially processed etc
outey
Drutt

Post by outey »

Trying it again with CU3, setting it with "Stop at end of tape" cleared doesn't seem to make any difference? weird as it sounds! Looking at the .TZX it actually stops loading just at the end of the second code block (794 byes) before the Turbo starts (marked with an X) I tried adding a 1 and then 2 second pause with ZX Blockeditor to just after the 794 bytes section, but that had no effect.

Either its a version difference or some other setting - I've checked Interrupt Timing and its set to Early.

I'm using 8.0.0.3092 of Spectaculator, is yours the same version? I've tried other emulators by the way (Fuse, Inkspector to name 2) and they all exhibit the same problem, so its a mystery at the moment.

Going back to CU5 and this time using your CSW file, I'm really happy to report it works perfectly (for anyone else reading, CU5 starts at block 040 and ends at 0100) so at least I have a working copy of CU5 now, much appreciated :)
jpnz
Manic Miner

Post by jpnz »

outey wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:27 pm Trying it again with CU3, setting it with "Stop at end of tape" cleared doesn't seem to make any difference? weird as it sounds! Looking at the .TZX it actually stops loading just at the end of the second code block (794 byes) before the Turbo starts (marked with an X) I tried adding a 1 and then 2 second pause with ZX Blockeditor to just after the 794 bytes section, but that had no effect.

Either its a version difference or some other setting - I've checked Interrupt Timing and its set to Early.

I'm using 8.0.0.3092 of Spectaculator, is yours the same version? I've tried other emulators by the way (Fuse, Inkspector to name 2) and they all exhibit the same problem, so its a mystery at the moment.
Yup, exactly the same version - so CU5F TZX worked OK for you?

I've set Spectaculator to emulate "ZX Spectrum 128" (toastrack) model and the CU3 TZX loads fine regardless of fast loading being enabled/disabled
outey wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:27 pm Going back to CU5 and this time using your CSW file, I'm really happy to report it works perfectly (for anyone else reading, CU5 starts at block 040 and ends at 0100) so at least I have a working copy of CU5 now, much appreciated :)
Good to know!
outey
Drutt

Post by outey »

Yup, exactly the same version - so CU5F TZX worked OK for you?
No, CU5F tzx doesn’t work when Spectaculator is emulating a 48k, only your CSW and CU1 works.
I've set Spectaculator to emulate "ZX Spectrum 128" (toastrack) model and the CU3 TZX loads fine regardless of fast loading being enabled/disabled
Interesting… just tried that emulating a Toasty and now both CU5F and CU3 loads! Although CU5F failed in 128 loader mode had to load it in 48 basic mode. CU3 worked in both 128 or 48 modes. Wonder if this CU5F release is 128 specific (but run in 48 basic)

Can you try emulating a 48k and see if it fails for you too?
jpnz
Manic Miner

Post by jpnz »

Yeah CU5F does work with a stock 48K model. Had some trouble getting the TZX to load un-accelerated though, loosing the pilot tone on the third turbo block

Worked around this by stopping the tape, then playing back the turbo blocks

Tested on real hardware as well, and it works like a charm
outey
Drutt

Post by outey »

Cool, it’s just a fussy loader then as suspected, I’ll try adding a longer pause to the tzx in the right section and see if that works for me.

Appreciate your help, love this forum :)

Cheers!
goodboy
Microbot

Post by goodboy »

can also simply convert tzx- > tap and download it

goodboy
Microbot

Lerm CU3

Post by goodboy »

outey wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:00 am Conversion_Utility_3 crashes right after loading with a scroll? message.
this program uses data from ROM to decrypt the code, 128k model needed for correct result.

outey
Drutt

Post by outey »

Interesting but I can get 5F to load on 48k if I stop the tape at the right place as JPNZ says.