SkoolKit 9.2b1

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

SkoolKit 9.2b1

Post by SkoolKid »

I don't usually announce pre-releases of SkoolKit anywhere - mainly because I don't usually publish pre-releases of SkoolKit - but I'm making an exception for 9.2b1 because, unlike all previous versions, this one contains C extension modules (for faster Z80 simulation), and I'd like to make sure they're built correctly and working.

So, if you're feeling brave and would like to try it out, you can grab it from TestPyPI.

I recommend installing it in a Python virtual environment (but you can also install it in your main Python environment if you like). The steps for doing that on Windows (for example) would be something like this:

Code: Select all

> py -m venv venv
> cd venv\Scripts
> activate
(venv) > pip install -i https://test.pypi.org/simple/ skoolkit
Then you could compare the speed of the pure Python Z80 simulator and its C counterpart by executing 10 million instructions on a 48K Spectrum like this:

(venv) > python trace.py --python -m 10000000 --stats 48
(venv) > python trace.py -m 10000000 --stats 48
If all is well, that second invocation of trace.py should run quite a bit faster. Good luck!
SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Re: SkoolKit 9.2b1

Post by SkoolKid »

In case anyone wants to keep using SkoolKit 9.2b1 for a bit, the (updated) manual can be found here.

I should have mentioned that the new Z80 simulator is used by default wherever the old one was, so it's not only trace.py that's faster now - tap2sna.py, #AUDIO and #SIM also get a speed boost. Try loading Skool Daze, for example:

$ tap2sna.py https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/pub/sinclair/games/s/SkoolDaze.tzx.zip
pobtastic
Drutt

Post by pobtastic »

I've used #SIM a lot for my Booty disassembly and can confirm that everything appears to work identically to the 9.1 version. I don't see any differences, and the build time is roughly a third less.

Excellent work!
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

pobtastic wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:31 am I've used #SIM a lot for my Booty disassembly and can confirm that everything appears to work identically to the 9.1 version. I don't see any differences, and the build time is roughly a third less.
Glad to hear it. SkoolKit - saving energy and the planet since version 9.2. :D

For my own part, I'm enjoying being able to run the tap2sna.py test suite over ~13000 tapes in just under 13 minutes instead of just under 3 hours. And the rzxplay.py test suite over 6652 RZX files in just under 3 hours instead of about a week.