New Game Creator

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
pgregory
Drutt

New Game Creator

Post by pgregory »

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to post, my apologies if not, can someone point me to a more appropriate place?

I've started work on a new piece of PC software to make it easier for non-programmers to create games for a Spectrum, 16/48/128 initially, with Next on the roadmap.

It's very early days, but I've started recording some videos of the progress and would welcome any thoughts and suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 5pU24T5BLL

For reference, if anyone's interested at all, I have some background in this, having created the 3D Construction Kit back in the day at Incentive, and worked on more tools and technology stacks at game studios since than I can remember.

Paul
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Re: New Game Creator

Post by Daveysloan »

This looks fantastic! Really intuitive.

I'm especially excited by the prospect of having a Next game creator in the pipeline!
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Agreed, this looks great! I'm also pleased to see it's cross-platform. Mac support is always the first thing I check, as so many tools are Windows-only (eg. MPAGD), or sort-of-working-with-Mono (eg. #CSpect). I'll definitely be trying this.
pgregory wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:28 pm For reference, if anyone's interested at all, I have some background in this, having created the 3D Construction Kit back in the day at Incentive
Wowzers! I remember watching the VHS and building my house in 3DCK. That was really great software. It was Amiga version I had - not sure if you worked on that?
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Great work so far! It looks awesome! I like the look of the drag and drop interface that you created. Also nice is that you have an integrated emulator for testing.
pgregory
Drutt

Post by pgregory »

clebin wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:27 pm Agreed, this looks great! I'm also pleased to see it's cross-platform. Mac support is always the first thing I check, as so many tools are Windows-only (eg. MPAGD), or sort-of-working-with-Mono (eg. #CSpect). I'll definitely be trying this.

Wowzers! I remember watching the VHS and building my house in 3DCK. That was really great software. It was Amiga version I had - not sure if you worked on that?
Yes, it'll be fully cross platform, it's built with Godot, I might even make it web based as well, although that would require making the z88dk available on the web too.

Yes, I did the Amiga, Atari ST and PC versions of 3DCK too.
pgregory
Drutt

Post by pgregory »

cmal wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:18 pm Great work so far! It looks awesome! I like the look of the drag and drop interface that you created. Also nice is that you have an integrated emulator for testing.
It doesn't have an integrated emulator, not at this point. The tools simulate the display density of the target platform, in as much as they are artificially constrained to the correct resolution and in the case of the map editor, constrained to 8x8 pixel blocks. But the emulator you see in the videos is Zesarux.