Something I noticed about Renegade 3

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Something I noticed about Renegade 3

Post by Daveysloan »

On the database it has a vote for every score 1 to 10, I wonder if it's the only game that has that?

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... negade_III

Not sure I'd want to take a trip into the mind of someone that rates it above a 6 though!
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Re: Something I noticed about Renegade 3

Post by akeley »

Daveysloan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:20 am Not sure I'd want to take a trip into the mind of someone that rates it above a 6 though!
I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but for me it's one of these games which get dumped on so much mainly because of the brilliance of the prequels (and total change of vibe/scene).

If it came out as an off-brand, standalone title, I think 6-7s would be perfectly reasonable score.
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

Yeah, you may have a point, Renegade/Target Renegade set the bar so high, that amazing artwork in the ads, then to cap it all that utterly shameless Crash review set expectations to a colossal level.

Had it have been a budget game with nothing to do with the series, called "Time Punk" then we'd probably be more forgiving.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Daveysloan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:48 am Had it have been a budget game with nothing to do with the series, called "Time Punk" then we'd probably be more forgiving.
Yep great points. It could even have gone as far as 'hidden gem' with quirky speccy humour.

So having said that, I'm wondering if I should up my vote from a 6 to 7...
Van_Dammesque
Manic Miner

Post by Van_Dammesque »

It feels like a players 1.99 special, as if subway vigilante was its prequel. Still a 2-3 out of 10.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I think I'd have been kinder on the ZX Spectrum version of Double Dragon had I have never played the original coin-op nor any other version!

Renegade III though... yeah, I see the point, and it could be a budget game or a reader game on a covertape for me to say it's almost adequate.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Without the Renegade title and without the ridiculous time limit, it'd be a solid 6/10 budget game. With both of those and at full price, it fully deserved to be slated.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Someone gave it a 10!!! :shock:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Given that I voted it a 6, I've given Ralf's colour MOD a 7.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Some people just really enjoy punching dinosaurs. Each to his own.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

In my opinion, the main problem is the lack of playbility. The response to controls is slow. It's a 6, for me...
Van_Dammesque
Manic Miner

Post by Van_Dammesque »

Those rating it >5, how do you rate Double Dragon?
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Van_Dammesque wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:52 pm Those rating it >5, how do you rate Double Dragon?
I've never entirely understood the hate DD on the Speccy gets. Me and my sister loved it as kids, as one of the few co-op games we had. The multiload was a bit punishing on 48K but it was still fun.

I can understand that the graphics have a different style than the arcade, slightly more cartoonist. And there were obviously a lot of compromises to get everything to fit in memory (like everyone having the same leg animations) but it's not actually a bad game.

Renegade 3 is much worse although, as I said above, if you took out the insanely tight time limits (that require you to basically run through the level ignoring the fighting) it might be a bit more enjoyable.