PIMP MY SPECCY! Pick your ultimate ZX Spectrum set up

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

PIMP MY SPECCY! Pick your ultimate ZX Spectrum set up

Post by PeteProdge »

Just a daft fantasy thread, where we imagine what's hypothetically the best ZX Spectrum set up.

How we do this:
  • Start with an official stock ZX Spectrum from the commercial era. Any Sinclair or Amstrad-owning-Sinclair model. That means no clones, no SAM Coupe or Sinclair Next.
  • Add as many hardware peripherals (joystick, multiface, printer, monitor, whatever) to it but they must have been released in the commercial era AND everything must work with your ZX Spectrum all at once.
  • You have unlimited (imaginary) money, so go for it!
Then we muse over each others suggestions and work out who has the most enviable ZX Spectrum set up out of the lot of us. And argue if it would actually work.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Re: PIMP MY SPECCY! Pick your ultimate ZX Spectrum set up

Post by akeley »

I dunno, if I had unlimited cash I'd probably buy a Commie + floppy drive (or Amiga, depending on the year) :D

Seriously though, it'd be rather mundane:
-Spectrum +3, for the FDD &, more importantly RGB
-a decent tape deck
-a decent pair of joysticks, probably CompPro or similar
-and I'd splash on the best & biggest RGB-enabled monitor on the market (or TV set)

I know there was a zillion other peripherials for the Spectrum but am not sure whether I would need anything else than the above. I was never into using cheats, so assorted Action replays are not for me... Maybe one of these turbo-tape thingies?
RWAC
Manic Miner

Re: PIMP MY SPECCY! Pick your ultimate ZX Spectrum set up

Post by RWAC »

I'd have to go with a 128K +2A and +D Disk Drive that I had back in the day. Heaven.
Or maybe a +2 for better compatibility.