My attempt to push the 48k to it's limits : Super 48k Bro. mario/sonic mashup with 50fps scrolling.

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
rothers
Drutt

My attempt to push the 48k to it's limits : Super 48k Bro. mario/sonic mashup with 50fps scrolling.

Post by rothers »

Here we go, I'm back, and I've built on my 4px scrolling attribute engine I demo'ed in Jan. I've essentially treated the 48K as a console and absolutely hammered the attribute layer as a tile bank. Keys O, P, M.
ImageImage
Super 48k Bro. 50fps scrolling on the 48k with music (on and off as I know nothing about music so it isn't great - but it could play all the time if I get better!).
ImageImage
Start the game, pick a pipe to go down and begin!
ImageImage
8 big multi direction scrolling levels. You can jump/bounce on monsters which are not spiky. Collect battenberg 100 = extra life.

Find all the keys to open the next parts of the game. This is not a multi-load game. Everything is in the 48k.

ImageImage

Here is a video about how the game works:

The engine can do loads more than shown in the game, including scrolling hi-res graphics. It can have around NINE 24*16 sprites on the screen at any one time without slowing down, it's actually drawing 18(!) per frame as it has to erase the previous one in the same frame so it's super fast (unrolled ASM).

I want to turbo charge this engine to make 'Great Giana Sisters' for the ZX Spectrum, and then I want to try to do a port of the Master System Sonic, I've made a page to document this, hoping for support, help a lad out:
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/RetroReleases

The source code is there (feel free to play with it), I've also I've been writing a programming guide with some thoughts on Z88DK on the Patreon. You might enjoy it, idk.

Play it online on Itch: https://rothers.itch.io/super-48k-bro

I might make a 'side 2' to the tape which will be more levels, a bonus side if you like. Or I might just go straight to making Great Giana Sisters.

PS thank you to the kids on the Spectrum discord for putting up with my stupid questions about the 48k/bus/tap/keyboard etc etc.
BiNMaN
Drutt

Re: My attempt to push the 48k to it's limits : Super 48k Bro. mario/sonic mashup with 50fps scrolling.

Post by BiNMaN »

well executed, I've seen the screen bitmap/attribute manipulation in demo's over the years but I don't think I've seen this in a game before

I like it
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Re: My attempt to push the 48k to it's limits : Super 48k Bro. mario/sonic mashup with 50fps scrolling.

Post by Lee Bee »

Totally awesome and highly impressive! You've added a nice new string in the Speccy's bow. And 4px horizontal scrolling is fantastic, given that many games scroll 8 pixels in all directions (and look fine). :dance If you ever need any AY music then I'm happy to help.

The only thing that confused me is it looked 100% like a Mario game and I didn't notice any Sonic, other than the speed?