Next always defaults to YM

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
zork
Drutt

Next always defaults to YM

Post by zork »

Hi,
I am trying to change the apparent default from YM to AY on KS2. It appears I can do that from NMI menu once the system booted but the setting is not persisting across reboots.

I have tried to do it from the boot menu (hit space while booting), but whatever I choose there and can see in config.ini is not reflected when I hit NMI button later. NMI menu always shows YM as default.

Any way to change the default YM to AY so it persists across reboots?
Xela
Dizzy

Re: Next always defaults to YM

Post by Xela »

zork wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:58 am Any way to change the default YM to AY so it persists across reboots?
0x06 (06) => Peripheral 2 Setting
(R/W)
bit 7 = Enable F8 cpu speed hotkey and F5/F6 expansion bus hotkeys (soft reset = 1)
bit 6 = Divert BEEP only to internal speaker (hard reset = 0)
bit 5 = Enable F3 50/60 Hz hotkey (soft reset = 1)
bit 4 = Enable divmmc nmi by DRIVE button (hard reset = 0)
bit 3 = Enable multiface nmi by M1 button (hard reset = 0)
bit 2 = PS/2 mode (0 = keyboard primary, 1 = mouse primary; config mode only)
bits 1-0 = Audio chip mode (00 = YM, 01 = AY, 10 = ZXN-8950, 11 = Hold all AY in reset)

Try to add

Code: Select all

reg 6,173
to autoexec.bas
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Re: Next always defaults to YM

Post by Seven.FFF »

The PSG Mode setting is in the lower half of the boot menu options. The upper half is marked Options (always used). The lower half is marked Options (not used by NextZXOS). So this setting is for non-Next boot personalities, and isn't used by NextZXOS.

The reason for this is that NextZXOS defaults to YM, which provides the best sound quality. Programs you write yourself and released .bas BASIC programs, dot commands and NEX programs will use this default, as Next games are targeting the best version of everything. But coders of Next-specific programs can change the PSG Mode themselves with nextreg 6 (always read, mask, set only the bits you want to change, then write back).

TAP/TZX/SNA/Z80 legacy games have a loader options screen that remembers settings per-game. If you start the game in any of the legacy modes (1 128K, 0 USR 0, 4 48K, P Pentagon) it switches to AY mode. If you start the game in N Next/+3 mode it stays at YM. (+3 is not currently considered legacy at present because games are not run with the original +3 ROM, as there isn't enough space for a 64K copy of the alt ROMs in the architecture yet. So N mode will do all kinds of non-legacy things like turn off contention and keep a lot of new hardware enabled).
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins