Who did the graphics for Denton Designs?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Who did the graphics for Denton Designs?

Post by bluespikey »

Theres a series of games with very similar graphics/ sprite animation, like :

Enigma Force
Gift From The Gods
Bounces
Cosmic Wartoad

In each game the graphics are good, and the main sprite especially is a tall filled sprite that leans forward when moving in profile. The only name that connects them in Simon Butler but he seems best known (Well known even!) as a programmer. Did he do sprites too?

Theres also Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Great Escape which appears to be by the same artist but Simon isn't mentioned as an author on those.
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Re: Who did the graphics for Denton Designs?

Post by Sokurah »

Simon usually does sprites and other graphics, but he is not a coder and he will laugh in you face if you even suggest he has those skills :lol:

But out of those 4 titles, I know that he did the design of the Gift From The Gods artwork, but not the actual finished artwork.

I don't know about the rest though.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

Ally Noble was the lead artist, in fact wasn't it her that kept Denton Designs going when they started to split up?

Now does this http://www.allynoble.com/about/
I code to live (Job) and I live to code (Retro). One of them has to give!
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Karen Davies is also mentioned here and there, and in fact more game titles are attributed to her than Ally Noble in the ZXDB.

Maybe the interview with them in Crash issue 17 also sheds some light on it, in case you have not seen it before:
https://www.crashonline.org.uk/17/denton.htm
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

Sokurah wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:01 pm Simon usually does sprites and other graphics, but he is not a coder and he will laugh in you face if you even suggest he has those skills :lol:
And probably swear profusely!