ZX-TSID help

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
CRG(Glen)
Drutt

ZX-TSID help

Post by CRG(Glen) »

Hello all, I was hoping someone would be able to help with a little project I have ongoing at the minute. I would start by saying I'm no spectrum expert, in fact I've not used the little computer much but it certainly has its charm and I'm hoping to get more into it in the coming months.

I was recently send a kit to build a ZX-TSID expansion which I've now got together but I'm running up against issues trying to get the software running. As I understand the NSID player should support this board but at present I only have my 48k spectrum and currently have loan of a 128k toastrack but no means of loading the TRD file. I've been trying to use the TAP file and while it does start loading it soon seems to give up.

I see there are a few threads here about the ZX-TSID so I was wondering if anyone here has successfully built one of these and used it with the NSID software?

One thing which I thought was very odd is that when loading the tap file I can hear the tape noises coming from the output jack of the ZX-TSID. No idea how that is even possible but it maybe is a sign that there is something wrong with my build?

The other thing I was wondering is if there are any simple basic commands I could try to run to get the SID to make a noise, just to see if its even working before worrying about the NSID software itself.

Sorry for the long winded post but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Xela
Dizzy

Re: ZX-TSID help

Post by Xela »

If you are talking about this ZX-TSID, it has SID accessible via #xxCF port. This requires NSID Pro version, with HARDSID support on the same port.

Are you using this version of NSID?
CRG(Glen)
Drutt

Post by CRG(Glen) »

Yes it is that zx-tsid project that you linked. I didn't realise NSID was also on github, I've been trying to use the version linked below but I will try the one from github and report on how I get on. https://zxart.ee/eng/software/tool/musi ... -on-xxcf1/
Xela
Dizzy

Post by Xela »

This is an unofficial github, just for history. The author has deleted his github, unfortunately.

There is a newer version on zxart than on the github (I even forgot that I uploaded it there).
But, unfortunately, I can't help further - I tested all versions myself only in emulators.
CRG(Glen)
Drutt

Post by CRG(Glen) »

I can't get it working with the onboard swinsid but I am happy to report it works fine with a 6581 in the socket. Not all songs play correctly though, some stutter quite a bit so it works on a 128k but in reality it needs one of the modern faster spectrums to work properly.

Still a very interesting project to pull together.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Nice one Glen, I enjoyed the video.

The SID player is (as far as I understand) actually a partial 6502 emulator, (so it really benefits from running on a faster Z80 but quite a few tunes work at 3.5MHz) but that means it’s compatible with normal SID files from the HVSC etc. you could use ZXBlockeditor to import the files into a .tap image.

Maybe you could also check out @Hood’s mod of the Spectrum version of Monty on the Run, featuring SID music!

CRG(Glen)
Drutt

Post by CRG(Glen) »

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the video.

Yes, I gathered from some comment replies that the software must be a 6510 emulator of sorts, I didn't expect that to be honest but it just makes it all the more impressive. I'll certainly take a look at ZXBlockeditor and try to load a few more tap files, that would make for an interesting follow up I think but also that version of Monty on the Run would be really cool to try.

The 128k is now away back to its owner but I've got a 128k mod for my 48k so hopefully that will work and allow me to run the software (assuming the limitations are just memory)