More Spectrum references in popular music

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Lee P
Microbot

More Spectrum references in popular music

Post by Lee P »

So we have this, compiled by @equinox and hosted on WoS: Spectrum references in popular music. But it's not been updated for a while, so here's a thread where we can add stuff like this.

As @clebin just posted elsewhere, 'Letter from Hampi Mountain' by Snapped Ankles includes a recognisable snippet of Jet Pac loading, which the band sing along to:

Then there's 'Good Looking Boy' by Bristol-based band Schnauser, from 2012. You can hear the Manic Miner screen attributes loading at the start, and the video features loads of Speccy references - a loading screen, some custom animations and the band wearing Speccy-inspired T-shirts.

Speaking of Bristol, I always thought this trip hop/breakbeat B-side had Speccy data in it, although I suppose it could come from anywhere (35 seconds in)

Any more?
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Re: More Spectrum references in popular music

Post by equinox »

Lee P wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:57 pm So we have this, compiled by @equinox and hosted on WoS: ...
An aside: Lee, I ditched the idea of "having a home page" in 2014, but I didn't want to lose all the useful stuff I had accumulated. That included (as far as the Speccy scene cares) 1. my list of Easter eggs in games, 2. my list of Speccy references in music (to confirm which I bought some awful singles). I "donated" both of those to WoS, which was of course a single unifying scene thing at the time (Mr Heide), and not forked and fragmented as it is now.

(Oh yeah, a guy also took my "Jet Set Willy II map for the BBC Micro" which is one of the more obscure things I ever published online. He's a clever stockbroker and wouldn't talk to me now if I begged.)

However when a page is archived you can't update it. I've got a couple of updates myself... haha... Actually last week I was talking to Dok of United Minds, and he told me some stuff I didn't know about... you put it in the text file, and "if anyone ever puts the page back up as MORE than an archive, I will send it"... At least a forum allows this kind of thing, as one can go back and re-read the posts. Or a bloody GitHub issue tracker.

Wikipedia deleted their CSSCGC page (and a good thing too), but clearly we know today that individual home pages (if there were any left) never survive, and the likes of Archive.org might keep a cock-teasing home page but not the linked data. The community (whatever and wherever it is) must maintain these things. We still miss Mr P but we filled in the RZX hole.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: More Spectrum references in popular music

Post by PeterJ »

Hi,

If you want any changes made to ZXDB (the database that powers SC and other sites), please use the ZXDB Fixes sub-forum otherwise they are likely to be missed.

You could put a summary there, and link back to here if it's easier.