Issues changing email address on other site (WoS)

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Issues changing email address on other site (WoS)

Post by ParadigmShifter »

Is there anyone here who can help me on WoS? Maybe email an admin there for me since I can't login. I did send an email before I tried to change my email account which logged me out and I haven't received an email to confirm my new account (which worked fine on this site but not on WoS).

I no longer have access to my WoS account. My old email address has expired. I tried to change it and it told me to check my new email for a confirmation (then it signed me out and I can't sign in since I expect it wants a temp password). This hasn't arrived nor has it gone to spam folder.

I tried to create a new account on WoS to ask for help but of course it knows about my new email address already since I tried to change it. I'm not creating a new email address just for that purpose lol.

So if anyone can raise the issue on WoS for me that would be grand. Maybe send me a message here about what to do?

Paradigm Shifter (with a space) is my username on WoS.

I expect this is going to be easier than changing my email on Epic and Steam lol ;)
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Re: Issues changing email address on other site (WoS)

Hmm if I try and do "I forgot my password" then it DOES send me an email which asks me to change my password.

Then the new password does not work lol. (Permission denied). I've tried several times now to change it same result each time.
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

Yeah, their mail address thing has been broken for as far as i can remember.

This is why I came here, as I lost my old email, and changing it on some other site doesn't work.

I'm not holding my breath for that being fixed any more.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Meh that's annoying :( The other site has a decent off topic and I have hundreds of posts there already including lots of Z80 asm code posted :(

I recall recently they managed to get Mike's account back up and running after he lost his email so hopefully one of the admins can do something about it... I PMd Scotty but that was before I got signed out trying to change my email so if he replies it won't do any good lol.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

The problem is that Lee does not appear to visit the WoS forums very often now.

I posted a topic about a new user wanting to join back at the beginning of the year, but there was no reply to the topic...

I'll add you to the same topic later once I've found it again.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@ParadigmShifter,

I've sent Lee an email. He doesn't tend to reply to my emails, but I'm sure he will fix the issue for you when he sees the message.

Peter
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

It sounds like no one has been able to register or change their email address for ages now then :(

Thanks for emailing Lee.

EDIT: I see 1024MAK has posted about me at WoS too, cheers.

EDIT2: Epic actually got back to me and sorted out my Epic account pretty quickly. Still waiting on Steam though.
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

If someone could help me to get my account back on the other site, it would be nice too.

The off-topic section there is really nice.

EDIT1: (Note that my old email is unavailable now, so my new address is the same mail address as the one I'm using on here.)
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

If I manage to change my email I will ask about you as well.

All the other problems seem to be to do with registering?

Unless there are other users here who can't now access their existing account in which case probably post here first or see if 1024MAK will update the WoS thread with other existing users that have issues.

I know they definitely sorted out something for Mike's account (forgot his exact username, I'm sure you know who I mean though) after his PC broke and he lost his old email. I think Scotty sorted that out which is why I PMd him (but of course if he replies I can't log in so I won't see any reply).

Sounds like they have maintenance issues, they still haven't fixed the profile page links if you have a space in your username and I reported that months ago!

Off topic is the main reason for going on WoS yeah. Especially these days when programming talk is rare (although I do get involved with that and post some of my own stuff there). Not being able to search for posts on WoS means I probably won't be able to find old code I wrote to post here either if required :(
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

I'm happy to add other users that are unable to log in to the WoS forums to my topic on WoS forums.

Please quote your WoS forum user name. And it helps if you PM / DM your old and new email addresses in case Lee or another WoSf admin asks for them.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

I PMd Scotty with that info on WoS before it logged me out so I should be ok. Scotty seems to be more active than Lee anyway, dunno if he has the power to fix anything.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

I don't know any details on the forum software used by WoS, but on phpBB forums, the powers between moderators and administrators can be very different. Even the powers given to the moderators can vary.

A standard moderator can only ban users, not change their details. But the administrators can give a moderator extra powers of they wish.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

I lost my account two or three years ago, The old e-mail doesn't exists anymore. A sad state of the things...
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Steam is sorted now too.

I hope WoS pull their finger out and start fixing the issues which seem to be plaguing the site recently (lack of interest by the owner I guess).

It's a shame if I was to lose my account because they are lazy/not bothered... site will die off pretty quickly if people can't join or update details without losing access to their account :(

EDIT: And it goes without saying there should always be at least 2 active moderators with full power to do stuff...
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

1024MAK wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:32 pm I'm happy to add other users that are unable to log in to the WoS forums to my topic on WoS forums.

Please quote your WoS forum user name. And it helps if you PM / DM your old and new email addresses in case Lee or another WoSf admin asks for them.

Mark
Sorry if my poor English doesn't completely understand what you are saying. Are you suggesting me to DM/PM you?
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Yeah although I wouldn't PM anyone personal emails etc. unless it was a moderator myself. EDIT: maybe current email address in PM but only if that allowed me to speak to someone who had power to sort my account out.

Hopefully someone on WoS team will wake up and start sorting this stuff out, it's been going on way too long looks like.
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

Wow, Lee hasn't posted on WOS since September 2023, and hasn't logged in since January 6th this year!

He seems to be more active on the Facebook group than the forum.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Timmy wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:53 am Sorry if my poor English doesn't completely understand what you are saying. Are you suggesting me to DM/PM you?
If Lee does communicate with me, he is very likely to want to know your old email address and your new email address.

It is entirely up to you if you want to do this. I am just trying to help

I'm not a moderator here. I 'm not a moderator on WoSf. But I am a moderator on Stardot forums and on Sinclair ZX World. If you wish, visit these forums and check for me under exactly the same user name. If you wish, I can post a message on either or both of these to prove I am the same person.

You can also contact Peter, the admin for this site to ask him what he thinks.

Any personal information that is sent to me will only be used for the purpose it's intended for. With email addresses, that will only be to contact you and to pass to a recognised moderator or admin on WoSf.

If Lee is active on Facebook, that may be a quicker way.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Well still no news from anyone from WoS for me :(

As I said I PMd Scotty my email details on WoS, hopefully he will see that at some point.

I left Facebook ages ago and have never gone back so I won't be going on there I'm afraid.
flange
Dizzy

Post by flange »

Just my two bobs worth.

Iv'e known Mark from the ZX81 forum for the last 13 years and not only has he been thoroughly helpful over all this time I personally would trust him with my details for recovering my WOS account based on all my interactions with him. :D
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Yeah I'm not saying he is dodgy or anything.

In general it's a bad idea to share personal info though is all I am saying. Anyway I will give it a week or so hoping Scotty reads his PMs and then hope he is able to do something about it.

Maybe if someone is active on the Facebook group they could post there asking them to pay more attention to the site? There's at least me, Timmy (no longer has access to old email) and zx81 (same thing I think) who would like to go back online at WoS, if only so we don't accidentally go off topic here and speak about non Spectrum related stuff and get mild chastisement ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm if only so we don't accidentally go off topic here and speak about non Spectrum related stuff and get mild chastisement ;)
Sorry if it came across that way - I did wonder if I was being too harsh. I like accidental offtopic's, but I felt that thread wasn't just veering off the tracks, it was intentionally changing lanes and bombing down the sliproad. I really liked what you did by giving music a speccy slant in the other thread, that's often how I do things. The last thing I want to do is make people feel they're treading on eggshells.
Yeah I'm not saying he is dodgy or anything.
The man's an absolute bounder.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Yup fair enough. As I said it was only mild chastisement I've had a lot worse :)

I wanted to post a tribute to Steve Albini on the WoS Celebrity Deaths thread and couldn't that was all ;)

I still don't get why you don't have an off topic forum here but I suppose it makes moderation more of a pain. There's lots of 80s stuff people probably want to talk about not just the speccy since we're mainly all old farts here :)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:08 pm but I suppose it makes moderation more of a pain.
Spot on. There's only Dave and I moderating and I don't have the time, energy or inclination to moderate off-topic.

We did ask a few years back and people overwhelming said no thanks. There is an 'other retro' section if that helps.