+2B RGB output

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: +2B RGB output

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Morpheus wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:34 am I bought the +2/+3 cable for this machine. Managed to get the cable working last night by moving the 12v wire to pin 1 ( it was on pin 3 )
Excellent!

Do you have audio via RF? If you do, then you’ll probably want to make sure pin 3 of the DIN connector is connected to both pin 2 and 6 of the SCART. If not, then it’ll make sense to see whether you’re missing both the sound from the gate array and the AY chip or just the AY.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Morpheus wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:34 am I bought the +2/+3 cable for this machine. Managed to get the cable working last night by moving the 12v wire to pin 1 ( it was on pin 3 ) there is no sound yet but the audio wire is connected to pin 5 and not 3. I bought this cable from Cool Novelties and it's the first time I have used them. :evil:
I’ve used Cool Novelties for RGB - SCART cables before (can’t remember if I have ever got one for a +2A/+2B/+3 from them though). My most recent cable for them was for a Acorn BBC/Master/Electron.

When you say you moved the 12V wire to pin 1, I presume you mean in the DIN plug.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Morpheus
Microbot

Post by Morpheus »

Yeah all the pin moves I have talked about are all at the DIN pin. I got the sound working this morning by doing the wire move so the cable works now. My new cable from Retrocomputershack arrived this morning and worked from the get-go. I’m not sure what happened with the other cable maybe someone had a black-out but It’ll do as a spare or if I need to kit bash a cable.
R Tape loading error, 0:1
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Glad you got the entire thing sorted out!
Morpheus wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:45 am I’m not sure what happened with the other cable maybe someone had a black-out
Well, 8-pin male connectors are a little more tedious to solder than your common 5-pin jobbies. Then again, nothing beats the 13-pin DINs for my Roland GR-55 system. Boy, was that a fun time. :D

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:11 pm Glad you got the entire thing sorted out!
Morpheus wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:45 am I’m not sure what happened with the other cable maybe someone had a black-out
Well, 8-pin male connectors are a little more tedious to solder than your common 5-pin jobbies. Then again, nothing beats the 13-pin DINs for my Roland GR-55 system. Boy, was that a fun time. :D
Atari ST’s use a 13 pin DIN for the video output connector, and a larger 14 pin DIN for the external floppy drive port...
But mini DIN are the worst...

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:51 pm Atari ST’s use a 13 pin DIN for the video output connector, and a larger 14 pin DIN for the external floppy drive port...
:shock: