Spectrum +3 disk images via Kryoflux

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.
damieng
Berk

Spectrum +3 disk images via Kryoflux

Post by damieng »

Does anyone else here have a Kryoflux and a bunch of 3" disks?

I'd love to get a repository of these going somewhere being that it's the only sure-fire way to preserve copy protection. Right now a bunch of 3" disk images will fail to boot if written back to real media because the copy protection is broken and then subsequently ignored in emulators.

I've got a bunch so far: Amstrad Bundle, Artist +3, Corruption, CP/M+, Dark Side, DICE, Flexipage, Giants 1, 2B and 3, Jinxter, Lightgun games, MasterfilePlus3 v1.3, Rainbow Islands, Return of the Jedi, Robocop II, Roybot assembler, Shadow of the Beast, Tasword+3, The Bards Tale, The Pawn, Ultimate Collected works 1A and 2A, Wanderer 3D, Double Dragon II, Fish, Game Set & Match, Golden Axe, HiSoft Basic +3, HiSoft Devpac +3, Live Ammo, Outlet 40, Supreme Challenge, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Thundercats, Tintin on the Moon, Top 10 Collection and Total Eclipse.

I've also got a bunch of damaged disks that we might be able to splice together with other damaged images (Kryoflux raw files store a file per track): Game Set & Match disk 2, Giants 2A and 3B, Hit Pack side A etc.
1 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Spectrum +3 disk images via Kryoflux

Post by PeterJ »

Just in case anyone else didn't know what this was:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KryoFlux

Sounds like a good project, especially if new titles are found or previously MIA titles recovered.
0 x

TomD
Berk

Post by TomD »

What software are you using to write back to 3” disks?
0 x
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com

TomD
Berk

Post by TomD »

Reimaging of all the +3 disks with Kyroflux would be great and I would be happy to lend my collection to anybody that wants to do it. Failing that you can still get a good amount of the disks to work already by using Samdisk.

I've just tried Tintin on the Moon as a test from the image on WoS and I can get it to write back to a 3" disk ok. I used Samdisk v3.8.11 by Simon Owen to write the disk on my PC with an Amstrad FD1 connected. I guess it won't work on all as you say, for those you can always use a Gotek which loads all disks I've tried on original hardware :-)

Another one I've tested is Robocop which uses weak sector copy protection. Using Samdisk --fix you can add the weak sector data to the stock image and then you can write that to a 3" disk to get it to work on real hardware.

Would still prefer good Kyroflux images though.
0 x
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com

Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

So what's the policy with this scheme\method concerning "Distribution Denied" titles, some of which are mentioned in the OP?

I assume it's OK to copy off such titles for your own use as long as you don't distribute or make them available to others as with their casette versions?
0 x
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."

gorski
Berk

Post by gorski »

I have 239 +3 titles and all of them is ripped to kryoflux and scp files :)

Greets,
Gorski
1 x

TomD
Berk

Post by TomD »

Fancy sharing :-)
0 x

gorski
Berk

Post by gorski »

@damieng when develop will do something from to do list like "Extend support for SamDisk DSK extensions" ?:)

Greets,
Gorski
0 x

damieng
Berk

Post by damieng »

Do you mean add support for SamDisk to Disk Image Manager?

If so the real problem is that it needs a rewrite. Delphi and Lazarus are a pain to work with these days. I guess a web app with TypeScript would be the best option.
0 x

fenderjaguar
Berk

Post by fenderjaguar »

Is Kryoflux better than using samdisk with a real +3 disk drive, plugged into the FDD header of a PC?
0 x