Expensive software

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
dfzx
Manic Miner

Expensive software

Post by dfzx »

I saw from the 3D Construction Kit thread that 3DCK cost £25. Twenty five quid! Goodness. That's about £53 in today's money, for a Spectrum program. Must have been good for that.

It led me to wondering what other software there was which was really quite expensive? I couldn't see a way to search for that.

What was the most expensive software you ever saw? Or, heavens, bought?
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Re: Expensive software

Post by djnzx48 »

Some ones that came to mind:

Shadow of the Unicorn (£14.95)
White Lightning (£14.95)
GAC (£22.95)
Blast! (£24.95)
HiSoft BASIC (£24.95)
Music Machine (£49.95)

I guess utility software/hardware bundles would be the most expensive in general.

EDIT: The Great Space Race was another title that was good value for money, at only £15.00.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Yes, I bought Beta BASIC. £11 in 1983.
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

I'm not sure I'd say £15 was expensive for software back then. Not compared to the price of cartridges for the consoles!

£15+ was pretty standard for a big box adventure game, like Magnetic Scrolls, especially for the +3.

£14.95 for the Quill and £22.95 was an absolute steal for the Professional Adventure Writing System... I easily made my money back on those. :)

I got less use out of CP/M Plus+ / Mallard BASIC which retailed for a rather large £29.95... I'm pretty sure I picked that up heavily discounted from a local computer shop that never would've otherwise shifted it.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I seem to remember most BASIC compilers were all pretty expensive, well over £20. Otherwise I might have had one and tried to sell some of my rubbish game ideas, only to be knocked back and abandon programming altogether in a big huff!

I asked for White Lightning for Christmas, but it turned out to be pretty useless. I toyed around with the sprite editor but couldn't get on with programming in Forth. My elder brother got Zeus Assembler which didn't make the same exaggerated claims but was much more practical. At least, it was later, once we got a Wafadrive as well.

Most things on Disk once the +3 came out cost more than the cassette version of anything; sometimes a pound more, I seem to remember sometimes £10 was bumped up to £15 - maybe for compilations? Did they ever come on more than one disk? I guess the games had to be re-mastered to load and run from the disk; did they ever have game menus as well?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Joefish wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:11 pm did they ever have game menus as well?
Yeah, for compilations.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I remember discovering in the database a spanish game (don't remember neither the name nor the company), released in 1983 or 84 and it costs, IIRC, 7,000 ptas (42 € back in the day!).
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I'm fairly sure that in the back of the main three magazines, there'd be a few half-page or quarter-page adverts for gambling software, mainly aimed at predicting the outcome of horse racing. Obviously I doubt such a program could really 'beat the bookies'. I remember these costing an utter fortune, 'm fairly sure more than any price cited so far in this thread. Can't remember the exact price though.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:06 pm I'm fairly sure that in the back of the main three magazines, there'd be a few half-page or quarter-page adverts for gambling software, mainly aimed at predicting the outcome of horse racing. Obviously I doubt such a program could really 'beat the bookies'. I remember these costing an utter fortune, 'm fairly sure more than any price cited so far in this thread. Can't remember the exact price though.
After a quick look, Poolsmaster seems to be the most expensive of that type at £30...
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=10065

But, I reckon Plot the Ball sounds like the biggest rip-off at £25...
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=19470
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

I remember paying £12.95 for Supreme Challenge when it was released. Apparently that’s about £34 now!

It was still worth it, mind!
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I think the most expensive games I had were GAC @ £22 and Lord of the Rings @ £15!!! Pretty sure I had GAC as a birthday present and saved up for LOTR.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

The Hobbit was 14.95 in 1982, albeit with a book. That's £50 in today's money.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Valhalla, released in 1983, was £14.95 (and you didn’t even get a book, but you got a big box I suppose) and H.U.R.G. was £14.95 in 1984.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

toot_toot wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:00 am Valhalla, released in 1983, was £14.95 (and you didn’t even get a book, but you got a big box I suppose) and H.U.R.G. was £14.95 in 1984.
I had a copy of HURG off my mate expecting to make the next Manic Miner, but, rather unsurprisingly I drew a character and made it move and that was it.