Out of context Spectrum games

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: Out of context Spectrum games

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

A little handheld that I found in a charity shop. Nothing special, just those stripes look familiar..........
innards for those that want to know.

It has 153 games on it, powered by 3 AAA batteries, 3.5 inches x 2 inches, sounds great.
zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

MatGubbins wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:52 pmA little handheld that I found in a charity shop. Nothing special, just those stripes look familiar..........
Crappy, crappy, crappy.

I bought one of those for my kid... bad games, with slow gameplay. It seems that the CPU is very underpowered.

I bought a (cheaper) chinese NES clone that has 400(ish) games and looks like a gameboy... and the games runs at a good speed. And they pirated the good NES ones, instead of putting crappy games.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

zup wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:02 am Crappy, crappy, crappy.

I bought one of those for my kid... bad games, with slow gameplay. It seems that the CPU is very underpowered.

I bought a (cheaper) chinese NES clone that has 400(ish) games and looks like a gameboy... and the games runs at a good speed. And they pirated the good NES ones, instead of putting crappy games.
Call me a grumpy old git if you must, but those are the kind of things that I genuinely thought the experience with Corona-Chan would have seen consigned to the dustbin of history. For all the pros and cons of house arrest - and I say this as someone who was firmly against it despite being more equipped than most to deal with it - suddenly, we all had a chance to focus on what we actually needed, rather than what we might just want on a whim. It should have been the end of highly-processed convenience foods with tons of plastic packaging - things like Cheestrings and Rustlers' microwave burgers - and should also have been the end of cheap and very nasty disposable electronic tat that's designed to be used once, if at all, and thrown away. They really only exist for two reasons - one, to keep a factory in China open and producing something - and two, to keep Stuart Ashen's YouTube channel stocked with content. But I'd quite happily have said "find something better to do with your channel, Stu" and stop the torrent of plastic waste that both types of insta-trash generate. And just this once, if I sound like St. Greta of Stockholm soapboxing, I'll concede that she and her ilk have a point. Just this once, I said.

Maybe these NES-on-a-chip handhelds aren't so terrible, but the ones that were little more than a Game & Watch need to die, if they haven't already. I'd have been quite content with "that thing beginning with V" if it had actually turned out the way it was supposed to.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

Daveysloan wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:50 pm Image
Brilliant!
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

To be honest, I'd say that the NES on a chip ones have had their day too now.

Look instead to the likes of the Miyoo Mini, Retroid Pocket 3+, AYN Odin and whatever Anbernic have put out this week for what the Chinese handheld market has to offer.
zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

The advantages of NES on a Chip are:
- Good games, if you get one with pirated games. The crappy handhelds and some others that had "new" games usually have bad games.
- They run at full speed. Every game on that handheld shown feels slow.
- They are cheap, very cheap. I bought mine for 12€ in a local store, but buying from chinese sites may be even cheaper.
- Most modern NES on a Chip are portable.

The disadvantages:
- You can not put your own games.
- The hardware may not be as good / durable (LCD screen, battery).

Compared to other cheap handhelds, it's funnier to play with; compared to "higher-end" retro consoles based on emulation, it is way cheaper. But, IMHO, if you want some kind of emulation based device with good specs, you may go the Raspberry Pi way (unless you need it to be portable).
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

I can hear this image.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

flatduckrecords wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:38 pm I can hear this image.
It's exactly 1 kHz, plus or minus a bit of tape wobble.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

It's a bag-for-life from France, something to do with sportswear goods. No Francis Morgan Ayodélé Thompson or Daley Thompson to you matey, no lucozade or running shoes to be seen here.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

MatGubbins wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:17 am Image

It's a bag-for-life from France, something to do with sportswear goods. No Francis Morgan Ayodélé Thompson or Daley Thompson to you matey, no lucozade or running shoes to be seen here.
It's a chain of sportswear shops across Europe, parent company is in France, loads of stores here in the UK. I'm quite evangelical about them, they're like the cool alternative to SportsDirect if you have 1) a bit more money to spend and 2) despise Mike Ashley's shifty work practices.

Once I work out a way to make a decent joystick-waggler/button-masher, Pete Prodge On A Saturday Morning Simulator will be released to the world.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:33 am It's a chain of sportswear shops across Europe, parent company is in France, loads of stores here in the UK. I'm quite evangelical about them, they're like the cool alternative to SportsDirect if you have 1) a bit more money to spend and 2) despise Mike Ashley's shifty work practices.
Yeah, a lot of them too in Spain.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

I saw this image (in an article about the "shuffle button") and my brain instinctively thought it was a Speccy screenshot. Just me?

Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Lee Bee wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:13 pm I saw this image (in an article about the "shuffle button") and my brain instinctively thought it was a Speccy screenshot. Just me?

Reminded me of Lee Bee's avatar.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:33 am It's a chain of sportswear shops across Europe, parent company is in France, loads of stores here in the UK. I'm quite evangelical about them, they're like the cool alternative to SportsDirect if you have 1) a bit more money to spend and 2) despise Mike Ashley's shifty work practices.
There's one in Farnborough, next to a similarly expanding Smyth's Toys. It's more than just another chav-wear outlet, they stock proper sports gear too; you'll find riding helmets, paddleboards, yoga balls, darts, archery targets and fishing gear in there. Don't try to tell me that anyone who goes into sports Direct is seriously involved in any sport!

Decathlon make some really good tents and other camping gear. Their inflatable pillow is a bit pricey but works so much better than the cheapo ones that are just a mini flocked air-bed. And I like their water shoes (three price range choices, each a bit more quality you pay for). And microfibre towels, and pretty good sunglasses. Their walking shoes don't last long though. At least they're not trying to flog you a giant mug to just let your tea go cold.
PeteProdge wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:33 am Once I work out a way to make a decent joystick-waggler/button-masher, Pete Prodge On A Saturday Morning Simulator will be released to the world.
Err. Not sure where this is going. We all like a lie-in but this sounds like too much information! :arrow: :dance
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Seen on Mastodon:

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

That movie seems as good as the game :lol:
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:01 pm Seen on Mastodon:

I prefer Alcatraz Debbie Harry?

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

It's not quite on topic, but this is very definitely an out of context Sinclair.

I was wandering the streets of Haworth today, and saw this rather incongruous zeddy in the window of a chocolate shop! Had a crack with the owner who cut his teeth on it as a youngster, and who recognised me as a fellow computer nerd as I gawped at it. Doesn't muck about either - he's got velcro on the back rather than blu-tac for the RAMpack!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I don't think this can be written off as a coincidence...

This label's current output as listed by Discogs
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!