Keyboard Controls

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
Joefish
Manic Miner

Keyboard Controls

Post by Joefish » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:09 pm

I know that QAOP and M/SPACE is the classic key layout for Speccy games, but I've seen some people prefer a sort of 'left-handed' version of this with ZX for left/right and up/down on the right. If there was another option for keys in a game (and not redefinable), what would it be?
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Re: Keyboard Controls

Post by Ast A. Moore » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:37 pm

I beg you to include the ZX Interface II keyboard mappings (6–0 or 1–5). :oops:

That said, you could use my redefine keys routine. It’s only about 280 bytes long (along with label/control printing) and checks against duplicate (i.e. already defined) keys.
1 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

spider
Dizzy

Post by spider » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:25 pm

Slightly relevant but I was thinking about something vaguely related to this the other day, but one thought that is relevant is a lot of the BBC Micro/Electron games did have it "that way around" in that Z/X would be left/right and the symbol keys to the right of the middle row or sometimes P/L would be up/down etc.

My off topic thought was the early ultimate games with their (imo) not brilliant 'all one row' control keys. I can see why it may of been done that way as you can just scan one half-row but I don't think memory was that mega tight even in 16K to not be able to read two halfrows at least. Pssst for instance is difficult via keyboard with original keys, yes I'm aware of how to change it!
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:26 pm

If you are very concerned about size and speed, DEFKEY is only 160 bytes total (actually 133 bytes if you never need more than 5 redefined keys), although it doesn't forbid duplicated keys. And the routine for reading redefined keys in-game is roughly as fast as custom code.

There's not much reason to provide just a few fixed sets of keys, when players can have the option to redefine whatever keys they want, without sacrificing execution speed or code size.
1 x

Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:54 pm

I love it as a leftie, but ZX for left/right inconveniences people using emulators with an AZERTY keyboard.

I’m not sure if any hardware AZERTY spectrums have ever been made.
0 x
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
seven-fff.com/blog

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:54 pm

Ast A. Moore wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:37 pm
I beg you to include the ZX Interface II keyboard mappings (6–0 or 1–5).
Joystick options are not a problem.
0 x

spider
Dizzy

Post by spider » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Seven.FFF wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:54 pm
I love it as a leftie, but ZX for left/right inconveniences people using emulators with an AZERTY keyboard.

I’m not sure if any hardware AZERTY spectrums have ever been made.
For some reason I thought of the Arabic Spectrum (seen pics of them, never seen one for real) but they do not have this layout. It looks conventional almost.

I don't think any of the E.U exported units have this AZERTY key layout either. Thinking Belgium or possibly France ? But a cursory search did not show anything. Thought Germany used to use this layout up until about the 60's or 70's actually too but I'm probably completely wrong.
1 x

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:33 am

Don't neglect people without the full use of two hands. I had trouble playing games using QAOP when I broke my arm several years ago, but Manic Miner/JSW were OK with their OP/Space controls. At least now there's a tool available to help with certain types of games.
0 x

lister_of_smeg
Berk

Post by lister_of_smeg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:34 am

Joefish wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:09 pm
I know that QAOP and M/SPACE is the classic key layout for Speccy games, but I've seen some people prefer a sort of 'left-handed' version of this with ZX for left/right and up/down on the right. If there was another option for keys in a game (and not redefinable), what would it be?
As a leftie, I always used ZXKM and L if given the chance.
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:54 pm

Looks like playing on PC keyboards is a problem if the keys are fixed, as different keyboards would have Q and A in funny places...
The 'define keys' could always be a one-off event then the code abandoned or overwritten.
0 x