Spectranet

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Speccy_Pete
Dizzy

Re: Spectranet

Post by Speccy_Pete »

Speccy_Pete wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:32 pm Yep, Been searching and reading and found a program...

Although, having trouble getting it to export a gerber, how many layers are these builds meant to have... only two... or more?
ok, after much searching, reading and the occassonal profanity... :evil:

I've installed what I think is the correct program... :roll:

I believe its actually a 4 layer board... :|

But, happy to be corrected by someone more experienced in these matters? :?
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Yep, a 4 layer board.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Speccy_Pete wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:32 pm I thought Dylan had tested the newer boards and had them working, if not... How's Ben going to build a new batch?
It's possible he has and I missed it, I don't know.
Equally Ben might well be building a batch on the old PCBs, with stock of AMD flash chips he's scrounged together.

I think the reason they've been out of stock is just Ben not having time to do everything, not a hold up on boards or parts.
Speccy_Pete
Dizzy

Post by Speccy_Pete »

Guesser wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:27 pm Yep, a 4 layer board.
Appreciate the confirmation, the other program I had loaded was messing up... for some reason it thought it was 7 layers? :shock:
It's possible he has and I missed it, I don't know.
Equally Ben might well be building a batch on the old PCBs, with stock of AMD flash chips he's scrounged together.

I think the reason they've been out of stock is just Ben not having time to do everything, not a hold up on boards or parts.
Yep, I know Ben has other commitments now so his time doing this stuff is more limited. :(

So the board update is due to part availability... no new features as such then?
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Speccy_Pete wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:52 pm So the board update is due to part availability... no new features as such then?
The issue is the 1 megabit flash ROM. When the Spectranet was designed it was already an old part, but they were still available. In the years since they've been discontinued as the fab plants with the capability to make them shut down as far as I understand.
There are still a few NOR flash parts in production, made by microchip, but the particular AMD chips Dylan used were in a looooooong package and the microchip ones are in a shorter variant. It's a shame that he didn't design it around the PLCC package version as then the new ones would be interchangeable, and it would also have made them much easier to solder too, but he didn't and redesigning the board for that would take major layout/routing changes so it's just adapted to take the shorter TSOP variant instead.
Speccy_Pete
Dizzy

Post by Speccy_Pete »

Guesser wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:56 pm The issue is the 1 megabit flash ROM. When the Spectranet was designed it was already an old part, but they were still available. In the years since they've been discontinued as the fab plants with the capability to make them shut down as far as I understand.
There are still a few NOR flash parts in production, made by microchip, but the particular AMD chips Dylan used were in a looooooong package and the microchip ones are in a shorter variant. It's a shame that he didn't design it around the PLCC package version as then the new ones would be interchangeable, and it would also have made them much easier to solder too, but he didn't and redesigning the board for that would take major layout/routing changes so it's just adapted to take the shorter TSOP variant instead.
Ah right, appreciate the detailed reply...

So thats why the new issue 3 board is designed to accept a SST39SF010A.

Microchip 1MB Parallel Flash Memory 32-Pin TSOP, SST39SF010A-70-4I-WHE
Microchip 1MB Parallel Flash Memory 32-Pin TSOP, SST39SF010A-70-4C-WHE

Would a SST39SF020A fit? :?

I assume it doesn't work... if it does, it would be a waste... not used fully?
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

I believe the new board is designed to let the 2 or 4 megabit chips be fitted with the extra address lines tied to the appropriate rail, you'd have to check the PCB.
Speccy_Pete
Dizzy

Post by Speccy_Pete »

Guesser wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:47 am I believe the new board is designed to let the 2 or 4 megabit chips be fitted with the extra address lines tied to the appropriate rail, you'd have to check the PCB.
Dylan confirmed the correct one to use. 8-)

If I could get the schematic to load into easyeda or kicad I'd happily spend hours/days seeing if I could change it over to a PLCC package...

Having looked at the pcb abit, My initial idea would be to remove the through/back edge connector to gain more pcb space so it would be mounted vertically instead. :idea:

Like the clone one on eBay...

Mounting vertical would also mean easy viewing of the status led's, no peering over the back of the speccy if your not sitting right on top of it...
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

At that point you're changing so much though, you might as well just design from scratch.

Making it vertical would be possible, but it's not as simple as just soldering a bit of PCB onto the back of every pin of the edge connector like usual as the through port doesn't put every pin straight through. The A15 and ROMCS signals go via the CPLD for the downstream paging inhibit feature.
Speccy_Pete
Dizzy

Post by Speccy_Pete »

Guesser wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:56 pm At that point you're changing so much though, you might as well just design from scratch.

Making it vertical would be possible, but it's not as simple as just soldering a bit of PCB onto the back of every pin of the edge connector like usual as the through port doesn't put every pin straight through. The A15 and ROMCS signals go via the CPLD for the downstream paging inhibit feature.
No point reinventing the wheel as it were... The board works.

Removing the back edge connector would add loads of space without making the board any bigger... and removing the straight through traces and spurs (sure theres a proper term for this) would open up the original board even more.

Picking out those traces from the actually workings of the board, I would find that easier, and oddly rewarding... rather than redoing the complete board. (No idea if that makes sense to anyone else but me) :oops:

But it's mute anyway, even though theres a kicad schematic included on the github it isn't compatible, from what I understand because of gschem... so yes... only way to do it with easyeda is redoing the complete board unfortunately. :-(

Maybe one day... until then I have to be patient and wait for Ben [mention]bytedelight[/mention] to make another batch. 8-)

Appreciate your help, suggestions and comments! 8-)
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Speccy_Pete wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:09 pm But it's mute anyway, even though theres a kicad schematic included on the github it isn't compatible, from what I understand because of gschem... so yes... only way to do it with easyeda is redoing the complete board unfortunately. :-(
There's no kicad anything... Just a schematic, netlist, and pcb layout for gschem and pcb along with symbols and footprints for the unusual parts.
Speccy_Pete
Dizzy

Post by Speccy_Pete »

Guesser wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:21 am
There's no kicad anything... Just a schematic, netlist, and pcb layout for gschem and pcb along with symbols and footprints for the unusual parts.
Yep, your right... No idea why or where I got that stuck in my head. :oops: (Really need a smilies head banging a wall right here)

Well that being in my head wasted a few days... still learnt some new things so not a complete loss of time I guess! :lol:
SpaceCadetFarley
Drutt

Post by SpaceCadetFarley »

Hi all,

I've recently got Spectranet up and running via emulation in Fuse on the Mac, and I must say that it's impressive stuff.

I now want to get Fuse to connect to a folder on my Mac. Really just to tinker. I've opened up port 16384 on my machine and have got tnfsd up and running.

My question now is - what do I need to type on the Spectrum command line to connect to that folder? I've tried:

%mount 0,"192.168.000.020", which is the IP address of the Mac on the network. Fuse seems happy to connect. If I then type:

%cat

The Terminal window running tnfsd spits out multiple rows of:

Cli: 192.168.0.20 Session 41f2 : Invalid session ID

I'm no doubt doing something stupid here, but I'm not sure what. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks for your help!
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

If you use the command %fsconfig you can set the filesystem permanently and also toggle the autoboot setting, all via a menu. After you exit the menu, reset the spectrum to apply the new settings.

[edit] If the problem is at the Mac end (firewall?) I cannot help much as I use Linux.
SpaceCadetFarley
Drutt

MonkZy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:10 am If you use the command %fsconfig you can set the filesystem permanently and also toggle the autoboot setting, all via a menu. After you exit the menu, reset the spectrum to apply the new settings.

[edit] If the problem is at the Mac end (firewall?) I cannot help much as I use Linux.
Many thanks for your response.

I've set the port to be open on the Mac and running the relevant command in a Terminal window shows that the port is open.

To get Spectranet working on the Mac you have to give fuse the same IP address as the Mac itself. I wonder if that's the problem; I'm then trying to connect to the same address in the Spectranet software.

I've got a Raspberry Pi 3 kicking around which I usually use for arcade emulation. I'll get Raspbian installed on a fresh SD card and will run tnfsd on there. It'll have a different IP address if I do that.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll be back with further questions. :D
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Have you tried mounting it with the loopback address?
i.e 127.0.0.1
SpaceCadetFarley
Drutt

Guesser wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:09 am Have you tried mounting it with the loopback address?
i.e 127.0.0.1
I haven’t. Ok, I’ll give that a go first. Thank you.
SpaceCadetFarley
Drutt

Apologies for the delay in responding. I've been on my hols.

OK, I've now tried %mount 0,"127.0.0.1".

The command works, but when I then type %cat the screen goes blank before returning an "Operation timed out, 0:1" message.

In the Terminal window I get multiple instances of the following:

Cli: 192.168.0.20 Session 41f2 : Invalid session ID

I'll get Raspian installed on my Raspberry Pi 3b and will have a go at hosting and connecting to something on there to see if I can get that to work. Perhaps having everything on one machine is the issue.
SpaceCadetFarley
Drutt

I have a feeling the latest MacOS update has broken something.

I've installed the latest version of Raspberry Pi OS on my 3b and have successfully got my local tnfs server up and running.

[mention]Guesser[/mention], thanks for your help. Connecting to 127.0.0.1 worked.

Now to start tinkering (before I come back with further questions)
SpaceCadetFarley
Drutt

Evening all,

I'm back with another question. Sorry. There will no doubt be others!

I've got my own local TNFS server up and running and can successfully %cat the contents of the folder in Fuse.

I then wanted to try saving my own very simple boot.zx file in the same folder.

As a test, my simple BASIC script is

10 PRINT "Hello World"

I then want to save this as an auto-running BASIC program.

If I view the docs here: https://web.archive.org/web/20200618133 ... .php/Guide the syntax to save is

%save "program" LINE 10

If I type the above, I get a ? before the LINE keyword. If I don't use quotation marks around the filename I then get a question mark after the LINE 10.

I'm no doubt doing something daft here, but I'm at a loss as to what. Could someone assist, please? The eventual goal of all this will to be eventually have another TNFS site up and running.

Many thanks!
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

SpaceCadetFarley wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:43 pm %save "program" LINE 10

If I type the above, I get a ? before the LINE keyword. If I don't use quotation marks around the filename I then get a question mark after the LINE 10.
I can only think you are typing in "LINE" manually as a keyword.
The "LINE" must be the token as used in normal BASIC, not typed in like the "load" command for the Spectranet parser.
( press shift+symbol shift together to get the E cursor, then hold symbol shift and number 3 to get the LINE command / token ).
Hope that helps.
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

SpaceCadetFarley
Drutt

p13z wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:21 am
SpaceCadetFarley wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:43 pm %save "program" LINE 10

I can only think you are typing in "LINE" manually as a keyword.
The "LINE" must be the token as used in normal BASIC, not typed in like the "load" command for the Spectranet parser.
( press shift+symbol shift together to get the E cursor, then hold symbol shift and number 3 to get the LINE command / token ).
Hope that helps.
Blimey! That has worked. Thank you. What a pain that was. I wrongly assumed that as the load command was manually typed LINE would be as well.

OK. Now to start putting together my first locally hosted page.

Thanks again [mention]p13z[/mention]
SpaceCadetFarley
Drutt

Evening all,

Work and family life have been a little hectic over the past couple of weeks, so this is the first chance I've had to spend more than 5 minutes tinkering on my Speccies.

I have another question and I'm hoping someone can assist. While I've got a very basic "Hello World" page appearing when I connect to my own TNFS server I'd like to put something together a little more advanced.

Programming in Spectrum BASIC on a PC keyboard using Fuse isn't something I really want to do. I'd like to use my Spectrum Next for this. Can anyone advise what format to save the boot.zx file in on the Next so that it's bootable when I type LOAD "" on my locally hosted TNFS server? I tried saving as a .bas file, copying it to the Pi and then renaming as boot.zx, but it doesn't seem happy. If I type LOAD "" the emulated Spectrum hangs. If I type LOAD "boot.zx" it complains about an incorrect header length.

Any suggestions on a useable format to save to on the Next which would work via the Spectranet software?

Many thanks!
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

It's a .tap file