Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
unhuzpt
Drutt

New member registered!

Post by unhuzpt »

Hello all

Here i am as a proud owner of a zx spectrum issue 4B that i have since 1984.
Taken from storage some months ago and was working fine until i one day forgot the "if aint broken dont fix it".....
Happy 2024 to all!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shamed zx 48k issue 4B destroyer -> now working on fixing it
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: New member registered!

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello there unhuzpt!

Fancy seeing you here :lol:

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: New member registered!

Post by R-Tape »

Welcome @unhuzpt
unhuzpt wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:17 pm Here i am as a proud owner of a zx spectrum issue 4B that i have since 1984.
One of the sensible ones!

(post merged with the general intro thread)
ChasL001
Drutt

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by ChasL001 »

Hi I'm Chas, A retired TV engineer from the late 60s.
Built a ZX80, then bought a speccy.
Had an interface II, AMX Mouse, 2 x microdrives and wrote quite a few training manuals using TASWORD. Refitted the PCB into a full sized keyboard and it worked very well. Then I bought a PC. Boxed up the speccy and forgot it.

Now it's out of it's box, it still works - sort of but the KB foam had degraded. Got a Spectrum+ case from a dead speccy and use that.

All good fun stuff getting the old girl working again.
There are only 10 types of people in the world – those who understand binary, and those who don’t. :?
Wizwords
Microbot

Post by Wizwords »

Welcome to all the new members!
Buy my book, ZX Nightmares, here: https://fusionretrobooks.com/collection ... 8102529118
Subscribe to On The ZX Spectrum here: https://onthezxspectrum.eo.page/onthezxspectrum
Marc_NL
Drutt

Post by Marc_NL »

Hello all, I'm Marc from the Netherlands.

Back in the day I had a ZX81 for a brief periode of about 2 weeks, because the thing was broken. We returned it to Dixons and my dad got me a 16k Spectrum. After the usual upgrades (µSpeech, 32k RAM, Plus-case) I secretly bought a toastrack. Secretly because my parents thought I already had a Spectrum, right!?

Fast forward to about a decade ago, when eBay was flooded with new old stock Orel BK-08 Spectrum clones. I bought one (it came delivered in a burlap sack!) and I went looking for my Spectrums in the attic. I had re-found my old loves (a gutted 48K and my toastrack), that kickstarted my career in IT, like so many of my peers.

I started with collecting some more East European clones. Then I shifted my attention to the Timex Sinclair machines. Then more Sinclair machines. Then most popular Spectrum models (16k, 48k, Plus, Toastrack, +2, +3). Most people stop here.

Then all Spectrum models (Swedish, Spanish, French and Arabic variations), Spectrum derivates (e.g. dB Spectrum, Inves Spectrum), Spectrum look-a-like clones (TK90X, CZ 2000), Spectrum predecessors (ZX80, ZX81, NewBrain), a handful predecessor clones (MicroAce, TK83, Lambda) and other (Timex) Sinclair branded hardware (TS1510, PC200). You know how a hobby can spin out of control, don't you? Budgets are limited!

Of course I couldn't get all these machines if I didn't had a bit of help from around the world as well as the Load ZX Spectrum museum in Portugal (in return I acquired a C5, some Unipolbrits and a Beocomp for him).

That ultimately looks something like this:

I could list all computers here, but who's interested in a list of over 75 unique computers (many looking similar at first glance, but still a little different from each other, each telling their own story) and a load of interfaces and ROM cartridges for 3 systems?

But if you are still interested, here's a link: www.SinclairCollection.Site for your enjoyment.
(the site has sometimes a little trouble loading all the pictures in one go, it's a bit picture heavy, showing all the machines on one page)

Think of it as a one bedroom wall museum. If you want to see something in particular, just let me know.
flange
Drutt

Post by flange »

Hells teeth Marc, I wish I had a shelf like that ! :lol:
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Marc_NL wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:13 pm That ultimately looks something like this:
Wow, that's one hell of a collection :shock:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@Marc_NL and I met via Facebook and I invited him to join and show off his fantastic collection!

Welcome to the forums.
]-[
Drutt

Post by ]-[ »

Hi I'm H,

I'm from the UK, I'm really an Acorn enthusiast at heart but I was given a Tandy TRS80 model 100 and from there I have branched out into fixing many different retro computers and it just so happens that the ZX Spectrum is one of them.

Cheers

H
Last edited by ]-[ on Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
]-[
Drutt

Post by ]-[ »

Morkin wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:10 pm Wow, that's one hell of a collection :shock:
And I thought my collection was getting a bit excessive! Wow that's very nice an impressive haul 8-)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

...Cue SC members going to their other half with this pic saying "See? My collection's nothing compared to this...!"
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Morkin wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:10 pm ...Cue SC members going to their other half with this pic saying "See? My collection's nothing compared to this...!"
Marc_NL
Drutt

Post by Marc_NL »

Morkin wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:10 pm ...Cue SC members going to their other half with this pic saying "See? My collection's nothing compared to this...!"
Yeah, feel free to use my collection as an excuse for your excessive hoarding! :D
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

Marc_NL wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:49 am Yeah, feel free to use my collection as an excuse for your excessive hoarding! :D
Welcome!

I don't have any hardware collection of any kind yet, but that could still be a great excuse. :)

Are you showing them in real life somewhere as well? Are there even local events lately? I also don't have facebook either, but I understand all those local events are now on facebook? Because I miss them, and I haven't seen many announcements lately.
Marc_NL
Drutt

Post by Marc_NL »

I would be showing them live, if you came to my house and into the mancave!

I used to bring a few to the "Sinclair Take-over" -- before Corona that was an annual event where we (Sinclair fans) would take over the monthly Commodore meeting space! Alas that's been a few years ago now. Ben of ByteDelight fame was thinking of organizing a similar event, but knowing Ben is always busy (and huge backlog of Spectrum repairs) I wouldn't count on him either.

If there is another Sinclair meeting in the Netherlands, I hope not to forget to post it here :)
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

Marc_NL wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:44 pm I would be showing them live, if you came to my house and into the mancave!
Sure! It really depends on where you live though. :)
I used to bring a few to the "Sinclair Take-over" -- before Corona that was an annual event where we (Sinclair fans) would take over the monthly Commodore meeting space! Alas that's been a few years ago now. Ben of ByteDelight fame was thinking of organizing a similar event, but knowing Ben is always busy (and huge backlog of Spectrum repairs) I wouldn't count on him either.
I miss the Take-overs in Maarssen too! It seems it stopped during the covid years and we never do it again. We probably already met before then!

I heard so much stuff about Ben organising a new event but I haven't heard of anything now.

I wonder if it's better for me to organise it instead, I might be busy but I have also a lot of time. My location is close to Ben, but that means that a lot of the people in the northern provinces will have to drive a bit.

I probably should go and ask Ben about it.
If there is another Sinclair meeting in the Netherlands, I hope not to forget to post it here :)
Please let me know if that happens! Thank you so much!
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Hello! Thought I would pop back in and see what’s been happening over here.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

djnzx48 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:03 pm Hello! Thought I would pop back in and see what’s been happening over here.
Great to see you! There's been a few new speccy games and DB updates, and we lost, and got back the forum like button.
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Not an introduction, but a warm welcome to @Ladderman, the master of Speccy maps who I've seen as the newest member.
Prototron
Drutt

Post by Prototron »

Hi all!

So I've just come fresh from converting Final Fight to the Amiga ECS, and now I want to have a go at making something in Z80. I chose the ZX Spectrum because I find 1-Bit pixel art quite easy to do, plus I had a Speccy in the 80s so it's in my heart.

I've been at it a week now and it's all going well. Got the screen mapped, a tiled background up, and some sprites displayed, and I'm currently converting my 68000 drawing routine to Z80 to get some sort of engine going.

I'm very new to this, so I'll likely be in the programming section a lot asking some questions about the Z80's quirks.

Cheers!
"For the money, for the glory, and for the fun! Mostly for the money."
~ Bo "Bandit" Darville
abmvk
Drutt

Post by abmvk »

Hi there,

50+ from the Netherlands here. Started on the TRS-80 at school, got a ZX-81 as my first computer. Later a 48K Spectrum, added a Lo Profile keyboard :dance

Then came the PC's, Mac's, Psions, and what not. I don't even remember where the old stuff went. Recently I started to collect the old stuff again. Not necessarily originals, but I want it to work. I found an original TRS 80, but the Sinclair computers have the problem of finding a good working monitor for them. But recently I found the perfect alternative: a ZX Spectrum Next ks1 with Pi Zero. Works great on HDMI. Also found the books from back in the days and I feel 14 again. I remembered the joy of the Spectrum, but I had forgotten a lot of the details. The really, really great BASIC, the graphics (after the ZX 81 a true revelation). But also how completely normal it was that you would code in Z80 machine language on it.

There is a lot of catching up to do, about 40 years, but I am looking forward to it.
ZX Spectrum Next ks1 with Raspberry Pi Zero
Waldo90
Drutt

Post by Waldo90 »

Hi all,

Long time reader / lurker from Uk (Yorks) here. First computer: 16k Speccy in 1982; shortly upgraded to 48k on the kitchen table. I remember the upgrade kit arriving and my mate at school lending my his copy of Manic Miner the same day so I could test it out :D Good times!

I tried programming as a kid but didn't really 'get it' until much later. I loved doing type-ins in the early days, the promise of finding an 'arcade worthy' gem of a game, as promised by the blurb alongside the listings, kept me eager. I picked up a few simple Basic routines from friends at school (O level Computer studies was a waste of time, I discovered) and I always wanted to understand 'machine code'. Bought a book on it, that didn't really help. Bought White Lightening (Forth compiler) which promised so much... and again I just didn't quite get it. I think in those days designing UDG's and POKE'ing screen memory was really as near as I got under my own steam. I played tonnes of games of course, but eventually other interests took over as they do in your late teens and computers didn't really play a big part anymore. I was in my early 20's, just out of college and wondering what to do next when I realized that the programming itch was still there. So, having some time on my hands, I dug out the old Speccy fired up White Lightening again and this time, holy sh*t... I kinda wrote something a bit like Boulder Dash. Not long after that I enrolled on a course, learning C and COBOL and I haven't looked back (except to say I do Python and webby stuff now).

More recently, I scratched another itch and finally got down with Z80 assembly language using a digital copy of Rodnay Zaks book and the awesome tips, insights and enthusiasm this community provides! (told you I was a lurker) Thank you.

TLDR: Speccy helped make me what I am today (like so many)

cheers!