Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
seeker
Drutt

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by seeker »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:12 am Welcome seeker. All interests wax and wane - in fact I'm most puzzled by people that never left the Spectrum at all! Seeing Micromen and Manic Miner dragged me back. Are you still playing speccy games?
The last one I played was Future Knight on the Next, just before I listed said Next on ebay. I always liked the look of the graphics in the magazines back in the day but never played it, even throught the emulation years. It was alright :D

Later today I'll set an emulator up on my PC and try something... was thinking I'll find a scan of an old copy of Your Sinclair or Sinclair User and see what grabs me from either the reviews or the black-and-white ads listing games by name only...
FatalPuppet
Drutt

Post by FatalPuppet »

Hello all,

I'm Mirko and am from Italy, just recently got in possession of a 48k+ (the one found in the attic).
It's my first ever ZX, but have heard of them so much.
When I was born my parents had a C64g (still working to this day) and there I learnt a little bit of basic programming, and gaming.
Alleged_Geek
Drutt

Hello from a very cold Aberdeen!

Post by Alleged_Geek »

Merged into this thread by PeterJ.

Hi all,

Many thanks for accepting my request to join this forum.

I am a collector of retro consoles and 8 bit computers and bow boast over 90 systems in total. My first love and still is, is the ZX Spectrum, I owned a 48k + from new after the big man in the big red suit gave me one at Christmas many, many years ago! Sadly I blew that one up when I was checking logic levels with a home made logic probe in the early 90’s!

My Sinclair collection boasts

2 Issue One ZX81’s, one has been heavily modded (more about that later)
A rubber keyed 48k Spectrum
A 48k Spectrum Plus
2 ZX Spectrum Plus 2’s (one of which I am currently modding)

I guess I am here to share my experience and see what else is out there.

My blog

Alleged-geek.blogspot.com

Is relatively new and I am still finding my feet with it. On it I have information about a composite video mod for the ZX81 as well as a internal memory upgrade for the same machine.

I am currently working on my ‘spare’ +2 and have just done an external tape input modification which allows me to load games from my own version of the TZX Duino.

I have posted all my designs on Github

https://github.com/Alleged-Geek

so feel free to download any of them or message me if you have any questions or queries.

Thanks again, I look forward to getting to know you all a bit better in the future.

Best regards,

AG
jgbreezer
Drutt

Post by jgbreezer »

I'm now a (Linux, mostly Python) software developer and it would never have happened but for the Spectrum. I still have a bunch of old hardware obtained in the earlier days or in the few years around/after I went to university when I was most connected to the Spectrum community via c.s.s, my Spectrum webring (anyone remember that? in late 90s), and friends/organisations. Am thinking about selling some/most of it but need to check what I've got, what condition its all in etc, and finish coming to terms with that, cos there's lots of memories tied up in it especially for a while in my teenage years when I was struggling with other things in life and this world was my escapism.

My introduction to them came in 1990 with a +2A for Christmas after much saving up myself too, having learnt the basics of BBC BASIC from a book in the school library I used to fanatically go and read most lunchtimes. Hadn't yet done any real programming outside of the motorised 'turtles' that could use Logo (if I'm remembering the name right) on a BBC micro at primary school in the UK (which I wouldn't count for much, really).

I used the +2A for some of my schoolwork having saved up for/part-time worked towards a b&w Star dot-matrix printer - GCSE project write-ups, having promised I wouldn't just use it to play games on. I wrote a spreadsheet in Spectrum BASIC (which supported R?C? references and formulae too with multiple nested levels) that was about 20KB, plus a rota planner for my Dad he actually used for a year or two.

Not really much of a gamer, though I used to be more so; fave is probably R-Type (still enjoy a version of that on my phone occasionally); with Elite, Fighter Bomber, then among also-rans would be Operation Wolf for mindless escapism (broke at least one joystick with the many hours on that iirc). I have a strong memory of AMC but was only borrowing it and a later attempt to get a copy fell down/didn't work properly/... (I forget).

Then I started learning machine code and after a few false starts (lots of unfinished projects), Your Sinclair in its last days (months) introduced me to the demoscene via the cover-tape and I was so impressed with these experts of stretching the hardware I had to get involved. So I wrote to the Public Domain libraries and having got a few examples almost at random, much letter writing started. This eventually led to a couple of my own demos and utilities being published (getting a +D drive really helped with all that), having rare visits to shows around England hosted by Format/Crashed (iirc), making friends around the UK and visiting a few of them occasionally (and once in the Netherlands - a WOS team/helper iirc). I managed to break a Speccy via ACB DIY installation but it was much cheaper to get hold of one 2nd hand at that point, and I've picked up various Spectrums/clones and interfaces, 2nd-hand(used), over the years since (+3,a 48k clone, MF3/other MF,IF1,digitiser,another disk i/f, ...).

My last project I worked on seriously was back in early 2000s, not sure I even have the 10s of KB of assembly source files from that anymore as I lost some of them at one point - an aim to provide auto-detection of hardware and API libraries to do standard operations for as many different Spectrum interfaces as possible, and maybe a gui kind of thing over the top. Still got a number of games tapes back in storage but I think all of them are already digitised or I'd try to help rescue them.

This is me - Datasoft (not the entity that did commercial games/music for, another one): https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... el_id=3316
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

I find that if I'm given an address in hex it's easier. I can take the first two digits, convert them to decimal and type them in.

If it's in decimal, then I have to enter it in decimal, convert to hex, then take the first two in hex, and then BACK to decimal, as the byte order is low byte first.

At least Toni puts the $ sign in front too, so you're not confused. I've entered hex as decimal by mistake which causes havoc. 01,11, 21 for the three loads before the LDIR, for instance!
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
Golfareninsweden
Drutt

Post by Golfareninsweden »

Hi i'm a spectrum nerd from Sweden.

I've been a nerd since 1984 when my father bought our Spectrum 16k.
I'm collecting Fairlight and missing the 128k versions and apparently French version.

Cheers
Christian
C Nonsense in BASIC, 0:1

POKE 23607,0 or POKE 23659,0 or POKE 23609,255 or 10 POKE 23681,64 : LLIST

http://fromhedberg.se/sidor/Retro/Fairl ... rlight.htm
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Hej, [mention]Golfareninsweden[/mention], och velkommen til SC!
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
zxb
Drutt

Post by zxb »

Hi. I'm from Perm/Russia, with speccy from 1990.
I am interested in hardware (repair of old and development of new).
Also im author of some demos and vdos emu in zxevo.
I have +2, +2A, 48+, +3, zxevo and some xUSSR clones (profi, kay, pentagon etc).
orion
Drutt

Post by orion »

Hello to everybody,
I’m Orion and I’m from Italy.
I was born in 1977 and I had my first computer when I was 10. I started with Commodore 64. Now I own
- Commodore 64
- zx spectrum 48K+
- Amiga 500
- Amiga 600

In this period I’m working to repair my zx spectrum
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Приветик! [mention]zxb[/mention]

Ciao! [mention]orion[/mention]
mrmaus
Drutt

Post by mrmaus »

Hello from the Netherlands!

Born in 1980, in Rotterdam;

Started on C64 back in the day, recently aquired my first spectrum, working on getting it fixed. :lol:
So not a collector for spectrum, but who knows, some day....
I have collected a lot of retro stuff during the years, mostly Atari, Commodore and Gaming stuff (Nintendo/Sega).
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

C64!!!! Out of here!!!!

:lol:

Welcome, @mrmaus, and hope you fix very soon your speccy. i know that when you do it, you'll sell your C64 and be hooked on the Speccy :lol: :lol: :lol:
If something works, don't touch it !!!! at all !!!
citizenfish
Drutt

Post by citizenfish »

Devon based Retro computer hacker here

Deep In Brixham I tinker away with my 4 ZX81s, 2 QLs and 2 x Spectrums. Recently acquired a 48k+ which needs nursing back to life.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

citizenfish wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:30 pm Deep In Brixham I tinker away with my 4 ZX81s, 2 QLs and 2 x Spectrums. Recently acquired a 48k+ which needs nursing back to life.
Welcome [mention]citizenfish[/mention],

We have stayed in Brixham (above the harbour) a number of times. A most beautiful part of the world.
citizenfish
Drutt

Post by citizenfish »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:36 pm
citizenfish wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:30 pm Deep In Brixham I tinker away with my 4 ZX81s, 2 QLs and 2 x Spectrums. Recently acquired a 48k+ which needs nursing back to life.
Welcome @citizenfish,

We have stayed in Brixham (above the harbour) a number of times. A most beautiful part of the world.
I live in a house overlooking the harbour ;-)
kegnkiwi
Dizzy

Post by kegnkiwi »

Greetings all from West Yorkshire in the UK.

I use to play around with my spectrums all through the 80's and early 90's. We had a 48k plus 2 and plus 3. I've decided to bring them out of retirement and it's not gone well🙂

I can usually be found hanging around a lot of satellite TV forums which seems to have been the hobbie for the last decade or so. I'm reasonable with both electronics and electrics. Hoping to make some new friends around here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Welcome to the forums [mention]kegnkiwi[/mention]!
Sham Mountebank
Drutt

Post by Sham Mountebank »

I just wanted to say hello. I've started a blog tracking down the offices of old software companies and the database here has been invaluable in getting me started and helping me track down adverts and company information. Thank you to everyone who's helped put it together because without it I don't think I would have got anywhere.

If you're interested in reading the blog it's here https://whereweretheynow.blogspot.com there will be another update tomorrow for Melbourne House.
Where Were They Now? A blog tracking down Britain's pioneering video games houses.
iain
Drutt

Post by iain »

Hi, I'm iain. I'm an old time Spectrum user, got my ZX 48 in 1985 and it still sits proudly under the iMac in my office. From there I graduated to a Sam Coupe and an Amiga but they've been lost by my parents.

I could never work out assembly when I was a kid, so I've recently started learning it and am slowly recreating the old classic Thro The Wall.

I've rewritten the sprite system and the wall layout system about 4 times now to get it to an acceptable speed (the screenshot is from an old build, it's much faster now) but I'm learning a lot from the threads on this forum, so thank you
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

Hello!

I'm Steve and the Speccy and I go back a loooooong way.

Of course, one of the things I could never get my head around when I was younger was machine code. I still don't know if I'd understand it now but that may not necessarily matter thanks to Boriel's zxbasic. I have a game in development and hopefully it'll be finished one day.

It's a maze crawler, should anyone be interested. It can generate random mazes and populate them with various objects. The graphics routines are relatively ambitious, giving it a top-down feel, with scenery obscuring scenery and so on.

I'll post elsewhere as progress is made.

Cheers,

Steve
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

hello i am a man
Nige
Dizzy

Post by Nige »

Hi from Norfolk (UK).
My first computer was a ZX Spectrum 48k in 1982-83? I was in my twenties at the time :o Where has the time gone?
While I enjoyed playing games on my new computer, finding out how it worked was always more interesting to me.
So I taught myself ZX Basic from the manual, type-ins and other books. I never got my head around machine code? Still haven't lol

I bought the Spectrum+ keyboard case upgrade, then later, a grey +2. This was eventually kitted out with a Multiface 128 and a Plus D interface.
After that I bought a SAM Coupe, and a lot of add-ons, second disc drive, memory expansion, mouse, various software updates etc...

My next computer was an Amiga A500, and it started again, buying a lot of add-ons, running a PD library etc.

At one time I had all three of the above machines on one desk all side by side. I used to be able to share programs between them to some degree.
Mobile phones weren't really a big thing in those days, and I never thought to take photos :( Although I do have some of my last Amiga, an A1200 in a tower case, with all the bells and whistles :D

Anyway now in 2022, I have again a grey Spectrum +2, with an DivMMC EnJOY, and an Amiga A1200 in a Checkmate 1500plus case. Sadly I cannot afford a SAM Coupe at todays prices :( But there is of course emulation 8-)

Oh, and I need a bigger desk!

Nige
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Welcome [mention]Nige[/mention],

Many of us who are old enough to have owned a Spectrum in the early 80s seem to have moved onto the Amiga afterwards.

What was the name of your PD library?
Altairst8te48k
Drutt

New-old user returning to my first ever computer of the 80's.

Post by Altairst8te48k »

Hello all!

I am a long term Spectrum fan who has decided to get back into the machine that was my first ever computer back in the day. I was given a rubber keyed 48k in the mid 1980's as a christmas present.

Coming back to it all I have snagged a bunch of stuff, mainly some 48k's, some 48k+'s and a couple +3's.

I have managed to snag an Opus Discovery, Wafadrive and a Datel +D.

Decided to join this forum for some help.

:)
Nige
Dizzy

Post by Nige »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:30 pm Welcome @Nige,

What was the name of your PD library?
Best Before Software PD and later just Best B4 Software PD.

Me with my Checkmate Amiga A1200 and fellow Amiga enthusiasts at one of the Norwich Amiga Group meetings, last year😊