Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Cheez26
Microbot

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by Cheez26 »

Lee Bee wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:48 am A very warm welcome to the forum, Chelsea!

It's great to have someone so young here. Also great to have friends from farther afield, given how "European" the Speccy community is. This forum is also very male - perhaps you can help us balance the demographic?
Well, I guess I can since I'm a trans femme nonbinary, but does that make me female? Trick question btw; the answer will always be yes. :3
Chelsea E., a Speccy fan from the U.S.
Also a musician and a beginning games developer.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

@Cheez26 I'd be curious to know how you "discovered" the Speccy over there in the US? Just random YouTube videos or something? Also what kind of games background have you had outside the 8-bit world? Do you have a platform of choice?

Also, just a heads-up that this is a very friendly place here, and in order to keep the peace and harmony, the admins here (lovely guys) are strict about keeping politics and religion out of the threads, to the point where even the most mild, well-intended passing reference can get removed. The former Spectrum community learned the hard way and things got pretty heated which, shattered the community (I am told). So we must all try to leave our politics at the door as much as possible and unite in our love of 8-bit pixellation! :geek: :dance
Cheez26
Microbot

Post by Cheez26 »

Lee Bee wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:24 pm @Cheez26 I'd be curious to know how you "discovered" the Speccy over there in the US? Just random YouTube videos or something? Also what kind of games background have you had outside the 8-bit world? Do you have a platform of choice?

Also, just a heads-up that this is a very friendly place here, and in order to keep the peace and harmony, the admins here (lovely guys) are strict about keeping politics and religion out of the threads, to the point where even the most mild, well-intended passing reference can get removed. The former Spectrum community learned the hard way and things got pretty heated which, shattered the community (I am told). So we must all try to leave our politics at the door as much as possible and unite in our love of 8-bit pixellation! :geek: :dance
It was through learning about the Spectrum Next, believe it or not. As for political tings, I'll be sure to keep that lowkey; thanks for the heads-up.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Cheez26 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:52 am
...I'm still also wanting to make a text adventure as well using either Lantern or something else.
Welcome,
I have used Lantern for my last projects and manage to do quite compex stuff with it. It is very easy to use but for graphics it uses scr files -so the 48k versions can have very few images. Another option would be Adventuron that outputs DAAD compatible files. Adventuron is very poweful and easy to use but after you output the DAAD file you might find it a bit difficult to polish your game. DAADReady helps a lot at this process!
Cheez26
Microbot

Post by Cheez26 »

firelord wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:48 pm Welcome,
I have used Lantern for my last projects and manage to do quite compex stuff with it. It is very easy to use but for graphics it uses scr files -so the 48k versions can have very few images. Another option would be Adventuron that outputs DAAD compatible files. Adventuron is very poweful and easy to use but after you output the DAAD file you might find it a bit difficult to polish your game. DAADReady helps a lot at this process!
Thanks for the welcome. I've looked at Adventuron, but iirc, that can mostly do Speccy Next games for now. I would love to see it do something for 128k though. :3
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Cheez26 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:53 pm Thanks for the welcome. I've looked at Adventuron, but iirc, that can mostly do Speccy Next games for now. I would love to see it do something for 128k though. :3
I used adventuron for 48k games. The drawback is that 48k DAAD doesn't support graphics . Only 128k and Next version support graphics with an extension.
Cheez26
Microbot

Post by Cheez26 »

firelord wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:04 am I used adventuron for 48k games. The drawback is that 48k DAAD doesn't support graphics . Only 128k and Next version support graphics with an extension.
I almost forgot to mention that I also use Linux mostly, but I do know that Adventuron is basically based in the browser. On my amd64 desktop, I can use Lantern with either Wine or Mono, but on my Raspberry Pi 400 desktop, it's been tough finding some tools that work somewhat natively.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Cheez26 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:18 am I almost forgot to mention that I also use Linux mostly, but I do know that Adventuron is basically based in the browser. On my amd64 desktop, I can use Lantern with either Wine or Mono, but on my Raspberry Pi 400 desktop, it's been tough finding some tools that work somewhat natively.
Latest versions of lantern won't work on wine 32bit. I notified the author. His compile tools after a version were using some 64bit libraries and I couldn't run Lantern with my wine versions. I'm using a 2022 version of lantern. Don't know if the issue is resolved in latest versions.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Welcome, @Cheez26! It’s nice to see more trans representation on the forum 🏳️‍⚧️ ❤️ 🙂
Cheez26
Microbot

Post by Cheez26 »

djnzx48 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:06 am Welcome, @Cheez26! It’s nice to see more trans representation on the forum 🏳️‍⚧️ ❤️ 🙂
Thanks for the kindness. I really appreciate it. <3