Games for your family

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Manic Miner

Games for your family

Post by PeteProdge » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:22 pm

While my brother and I played my ZX Spectrum a lot, my parents were never that much bothered about it, or any other computer-based activity.

My dad never touched the Spectrum at all. My mum played Bubble Bobble with me, once, at that was at my insistence. She quite liked it, to be fair, but that was the only time she ever played a computer game. She believed computing was just a fad and would be gone in a few years. Hmm!

So... did any of your Spectrum games appeal to the rest of your family?
0 x
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here now!
Episode 1: Out Run on the ZX Spectrum 48, 128 and other machines

8BitAG
Manic Miner

Re: Games for your family

Post by 8BitAG » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:58 pm

Our "computer room" was our dining room/kitchen table. Our entire family took it in turns to play through Arkanoid... We played it so much that everyone in the family was able to get through the entire game and beat the boss level. :)
1 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:35 pm

My brother (older than me) were mainly interested in flight sims and strategy games. No arcades or adventures. Maybe also some sports ones.

Fighter Pilot, Dambusters, Fernando Martín B.M. or Mapsnatch were some of them.
1 x

Dark
Berk

Post by Dark » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:36 pm

Was just me and my younger brother on the Spectrum, parents didn't touch it. Wasn't until the Internet came along many years later that my mother used a computer
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:42 pm

My parents never touched the Speccy.

A friend once agreed to sell me his MSX with Tasword and a printer. My Dad drove me there, paid for it, then set it up in his bedroom. I don't think he ever turned it on again. I found it in a box in the loft a few years ago just before he put the house up for sale, and chucked it in the boot of the car. Said it was the old Spectrum (which he'd actually thrown out years before). Thinking about it, I vaguely remember my Mum pulled the same stunt once with a teddy bear I found in a jumble sale... :(

My Mum learned to use a mouse on my ST. She seemed to most enjoy a simple kid's program where you clicked on numbered dots to draw a dot-to-dot picture, then used a simple colour palette and click-fills to colour it in however you wanted. Once they got a PC, she was into online shopping and ordering 24 packs of a dozen rolls (instead of 24 rolls) just like everyone else's parents! :lol:
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:04 am

My parents didn't want to go near the Speccy or Amiga, and me and bro didn't want them near it! It was an alien world that they felt was not for them, and that's only changed over the past few years.

I'm surprised to read 8bitAG's account of the whole family playing Arkanoid. It's nice to see some families bonded over it. Also I notice their speccy was on the kitchen table, so maybe they could have made use of BugBytes's computer cookbook.

A few years back, in a busybodying attempt to perk up a less mobile parent, I got my Dad to try Buzzsaw+ on a laptop. He didn't dislike it, but I can't see him ever being a specchum.
1 x

SteveSmith
Berk

Post by SteveSmith » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:16 am

The only time my dad went near a computer pre-2000 was to play Tomahawk once on the Speccy, back in the day. After it had loaded, he decided to use the joystick, so he plugged in the joystick interface... That was the end of that Spectrum, and the end of my dad's (already miniscule) interest in computers.
1 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:00 am

Pretty much your average story here. Me and my older brother were up to our necks in the Spectrum (well, primarily, me). Our parents never took any interest in it aside from kicking us off when they needed to watch the TV.
1 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:53 am

Ast A. Moore wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:00 am
[...] Our parents never took any interest in it aside from kicking us off when they needed to watch the TV.
We were lucky as we had a 14-inch B/W TV in our bedroom so we didn't have that problem. But sometimes I tried to use the big colour telly when nobody were using it. Playing games with that TV was amazing! Big screen and coloured games! :P
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:48 pm

SteveSmith wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:16 am
The only time my dad went near a computer pre-2000 was to play Tomahawk once on the Speccy, back in the day. After it had loaded, he decided to use the joystick, so he plugged in the joystick interface... That was the end of that Spectrum, and the end of my dad's (already miniscule) interest in computers.
Ouch! I guess you went mad at him? And was the Speccy promptly replaced?
0 x