Games for your family

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
SteveSmith
Berk

Re: Games for your family

Post by SteveSmith » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:07 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:48 pm
SteveSmith wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:16 am
The only time my dad went near a computer pre-2000 was to play Tomahawk once on the Speccy, back in the day. After it had loaded, he decided to use the joystick, so he plugged in the joystick interface... That was the end of that Spectrum, and the end of my dad's (already miniscule) interest in computers.
Ouch! I guess you went mad at him? And was the Speccy promptly replaced?
Unfortunately, he went mad at me for not telling him that it was the golden rule never to plug something into the edge connector when it's turned on. Thankfully it was promptly replaced though.
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:18 pm

I’d say this is grounds for replacing the dad. Promptly. :D
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

stupidget
Manic Miner

Post by stupidget » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:04 pm

Before we had a Speccy we had a Dragon 32 and that was used by the whole family, well I say whole family but my sister was 14 so all she was interested in was Sisters of Mercy, Simple Minds, Killing Joke and Goth blokes. During the 8 months we had a Dragon 32 my mum, dad and me would spend ages playing adventure games with Mansion Adventure 1 being the one we spent hours and hours on, with the main issue working out how to open to door on the first screen. After several days we realised it was 'prise door with iron bar'. After 2 dead Dragons we got the money back from Boots and bought a 48k speccy. One of the first games we had was The Hobbit and again we spent ages on that, but, once my dad found out a bloke he worked with could supply a tape crammed full of 'backup' games I would write down my wish-list and get a tape once a month. This was the end of the family involvement until my sister was doing her O Levels and had the Revision Software of Merchant of Venice which really annoyed me as I was desperate to play Wanted:Monty Mole :lol: :lol:
0 x

PeteProdge
Manic Miner

Post by PeteProdge » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:33 pm

SteveSmith wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:16 am
The only time my dad went near a computer pre-2000 was to play Tomahawk once on the Speccy, back in the day. After it had loaded, he decided to use the joystick, so he plugged in the joystick interface... That was the end of that Spectrum, and the end of my dad's (already miniscule) interest in computers.
I once removed a joystick interface from my brand new Spectrum +2 while it was still on. Nothing bad happened at all. Of course, NEVER DO THIS. I was clueless and extremely lucky that it was unscathed from my ignorance. I had no idea you shouldn't do that. A friend told me afterwards that it was a miracle my Speccy survived.
0 x
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here now!
Episode 1: Out Run on the ZX Spectrum 48, 128 and other machines