ZX ULAX emulator

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
MonkZy
Microbot

Re: ZX ULAX emulator

Post by MonkZy »

You are right, of course :D Keeps it simple for typing the command :oops:
0 x

MonkZy
Microbot

Post by MonkZy »

I have solved the Linux sound issue. I had to install some windows audio drivers (xact).

Code: Select all

winetricks xact
Emulator works 100% under wine. Fantastic!
1 x

Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

@Sokurah - i updated Dingo to 1.3 and improved it a bit (thrown fruits are now properly repainted with 2 colors)

Also found a bug with the bonus fruit info we talked about - when getting a new life, it becomes corrupted, as the top symbol row and 2 top attribute rows are overwritten. I fixed it with temporary memory protection trick, but the fix only works in the FULL color mode of course.
0 x

MonkZy
Microbot

Post by MonkZy »

I have written a short shell script to make loading games simpler under Linux/WINE. Simply use the file selection GUI to navigate to the snapshot of the game you wish to launch and double-click it.

#! /bin/sh

filename=$(zenity --file-selection --title "Select a Snapshot" --file-filter='*.sna *.scl')
dux="${filename%sna}dux"
wine emuL.exe $filename $dux
The .dux file must have the same prefix as the .sna/.scl snapshot files for this script to work. This will involve renaming/duplicating a few of the files in the example games folder.

Today, I am mostly playing Wheelie with no colour clash.

[edit] This script must be launched from the emulator folder!
1 x

Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

@MonkZy, scl is not a snapshot but a disk image (a cut down version of trd) and fdi format is supported as well
and besides a sna there might be a z80 snapshot or even a tap image (not in the current game pack but possible)
also with (or instead of) dux there might be a xna (VRAM snapshot) alongside its sna (a pair of quicksave files renamed)

so i think the complete code script should look like this

#! /bin/sh

filename=$(zenity --file-selection --title "Select a Snapshot" --file-filter='*.sna *.z80 *.tap *.scl *.trd *.fdi')
dux="${filename%sna}dux"
xna="${filename%sna}xna"
wine emuL.exe $filename $dux $xna
(not sure if it still works if either dux or xna is absent) :)
0 x

MonkZy
Microbot

Post by MonkZy »

@Lethargeek The script works just fine! I guess your emulator silently ignores the missing file.

I am currently trying to understand how the .dux file works, being able to use .tap files is useful.
0 x

Lethargeek
Manic Miner

game pack update

Post by Lethargeek »

Only one game now, but with diverse gameplay experience - Sigma-7. Very complicated code with lots of attribute effects. I was even forced to poke one byte in the original Z80 code to get the perfect result, otherwise some wrong colors persisted under the sprites in the phase 3 (as background attrs output was skipped in the original code if there was already a sprite attr). Curiously, it had almost no effect in the original spectrum video, just some occasional slight flicker. Maybe it's possible to get the same result without the poke, but i don't feel like digging into this code further. :)
1 x

Lethargeek
Manic Miner

yet another game looks as intended

Post by Lethargeek »

Championship 3D Snooker was a horrible mess of attributes most of the time (except the very endgame when there were only a few balls left). Now i was able to fix both 2D and 3D scenes properly, also gave the balls more traditional colors. Check it out.

Btw what snooker game (and any cue sport game in general) is considered as the best one ever made for Spectrum?
This one, while being the most interesting case for adaptation, is simplified with only 6 red balls played on smaller table.
0 x

Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Oh, and i forgot to say it's best to enable the FULL mode (with PgDn key) right at the title screen and leave it (no mid-game pressing PgUp/PgDn). Well, unless you want to see some weird artifacts as the ball sprites in the 2D scene are xored over each other in different modes. :)
0 x

theshrivelledmidget
Berk

Post by theshrivelledmidget »

Thanks for the emulator, the games iv'e tried look fantastic. :D
2 x