Retrogaming in Germany

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
PeteProdge
Manic Miner

Retrogaming in Germany

Post by PeteProdge » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:27 pm

I'm off to Berlin for a few days (Wed 22nd- Sat 25th) this month.

Aside from the ComputerSpiele Museum, are there any other places that can showcase retrogaming? Is there any way I can play on an East German Spectrum clone like the Spectral?

I'll filming a Reheated Pixels 'Meatspace' video while I'm over in Deutschland, so I'd like to cover how 1980s computing was received over there. I presume West Germany was all very C64-ish, with East Germany being dominated by the homegrown KC85 series of home micros?
0 x
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here now!
Episode 1: Out Run on the ZX Spectrum 48, 128 and other machines

Alone Coder
Berk

Re: Retrogaming in Germany

Post by Alone Coder » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:30 pm

You can read about ZX Spectrum in GDR here: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=66669
1 x

Mad Fritz
Berk

Post by Mad Fritz » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:28 pm

Or ask me ;-)
1 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:04 pm

I believe Spectrum wasn't very popular in GDR.
I have never seen an East German Spectrum game. Polish, Czechoslovak, Hungarian, Yugoslavian, Romanian yes, but not East German.
0 x

DouglasReynholm
Microbot

Post by DouglasReynholm » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:29 pm

Ralf wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:04 pm
I believe Spectrum wasn't very popular in GDR.
I have never seen an East German Spectrum game. Polish, Czechoslovak, Hungarian, Yugoslavian, Romanian yes, but not East German.
Given the demo/BBS scenes of the 80's, it always seemed that the Commodore machines were far and away the most popular in Germany.
0 x

cha05e90
Berk

Post by cha05e90 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:17 am

Yes, Germany was "Commodore-Land". Especially where I live, 'cos the local Commodore factory was only a few kilom...er...miles away.

Nevertheless the Sinclair ZX Spectrum was 2nd place quite some time and were only pushed to the 3rd place after the official release of the "Schneider CPC 464" range of 8-Bit machines.
0 x
+/+/48K/128

PeteProdge
Manic Miner

Post by PeteProdge » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:39 am

Alone Coder wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:30 pm
You can read about ZX Spectrum in GDR here: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=66669
Fantastic stuff there, cheers for that.
0 x
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here now!

PeteProdge
Manic Miner

Post by PeteProdge » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:40 am

cha05e90 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:17 am
Yes, Germany was "Commodore-Land". Especially where I live, 'cos the local Commodore factory was only a few kilom...er...miles away.

Nevertheless the Sinclair ZX Spectrum was 2nd place quite some time and were only pushed to the 3rd place after the official release of the "Schneider CPC 464" range of 8-Bit machines.
I'll put this down to both 'Commodore' and 'Schneider' being Germanic words! I mean, they can't all have this terrible taste in computing...
0 x

cha05e90
Berk

Post by cha05e90 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:39 pm

PeteProdge wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:40 am
I'll put this down to both 'Commodore' and 'Schneider' being Germanic words! I mean, they can't all have this terrible taste in computing...
Regarding the second one: "Schneider" is a rather common German name (like "Taylor" in the U.K, I assume). And it's the name of a (once!) well-known middleclass HiFi-equipment company in the German speaking countries. Amstrad had no distibution network in Germany, so they choose the Schneider-Rundfunkwerke AG (like Amstrad a company with HiFi origins...) as the distribution partner. They even labelled the CPCs with the Schneider brand - and it worked! In a rather short time the CPC range was the 2nd best selling 8-Bit-micro in Germany...

Regarding Commodore: it's even worse! :-) The C64's predecessor VIC-20 was sold as the "Commodore VC-20" in the German speaking countries - note the missing "i"! If you pronounce "VIC" in the right (German) way it sounds like a really nasty word - so Commdore Germany omitted the "i". But what's the meaning of that mysterious "VC"?

Of course it's the "Commodore VOLKSCOMPUTER"! (please pronounce with a rolling German "rrr") :-))

So the officil successor of that V(I)C thing had no problems to be the best selling system here...
1 x
+/+/48K/128

utz
Dizzy

Post by utz » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:56 pm

Besides the Computerspielemuseum, there's also the Signallabor at Humboldt University. Not sure if they have any GDR Speccy clones, but there is at least one KC85/4 ready to be used ;)
It's a semi-public place, so best to make an appointment with Stefan Höltgen before visiting. He also does some themed nights there occasionally.

Last but not least, if you're into old computers and old tech in general, the Technikmuseum is well worth a visit. The Museum für Kommunikation also used to have some computer history related stuff, not sure if they still do.
1 x