ZXBaremulator 3.2

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Lgodinho
Drutt

Re: ZXBaremulator 3.2

Post by Lgodinho »

Pegaz,
That’s what I fought!
Thank you for your prompt response.
Good dammed! I’m cursed !!! :cry:
I can’t have sound with my raspberry zero on the ZXBaremulator software and I’m not able to make the ZX original Keyboard via GPIO connection to work with Retropie.
Is there someone who could help me on this? Please!
Regards,
Luís Godinho
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

I think the development of ZXBaremulator is over now, and the developer has said he will not be fixing the pi zero audio problem. Pi zero does output analogue audio on the GPIO but the pins are shared by the magPi keyboard interface, the dev did not want to change pins from the original magPi project.

Take a look at the Pi Pico emulator. It has a similar keyboard interface for the original membrane, and is in active development. Raspberry Pi's are highly prized objects now fetching upward of £50 for a zero. Pico's can be had for £5 and are great to work with. You will need a HDMI breakout though, but they are cheap and come with the resistors fitted.
Lgodinho
Drutt

Post by Lgodinho »

It’s very interesting as a project as well, but I’m determined to achieve my project until the end…
I am going to give a try with Retropie software. ;)
With Retropie I have sound via HDMI, USB wifi, wireless keyboard and an usb joystick working all together in my Raspberry zero. The only thing is missing, for the moment, is the zxscanner scripts to make work the original ZX rubber keyboard connected via GPIO’s pins.
That’s why I am asking for someone to give me a web link with a step-by-step guide explaining how to do it, or an image of Retropie with the GPIO scripts of the original ZX Keyboard already installed and ready to go (a sort of plug and play software).
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

Lgodinho wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:04 am José Luís,
Thank you for your like.
Unfortunately, I am a little bit disappointed with my project because with a Raspberry zero w I don’t have sound via HDMI.
Do you think it’s possible to have sound via a USB audio device like this !?
Regards,
Luís Godinho

The best solution for you is a Zero 2 model, you can have HDMI audio & real keyboard support. Circle library doesn't support USB audio devices.
Lgodinho
Drutt

Post by Lgodinho »

Thank you for your response, José Luis Sánchez.
I’m going to think about it! I like a lot your software but without sound the dream is not archived… :(
For the moment it’s impossible to find a raspberry in Belgium all models are out of stock.
In the meanwhile, I would like to experiment my Raspberry ZERO W and RETROPIE software with the GPIO’s pins connected to the original ZX keyboard.
Could you help me with this?
A step-by-step guide could help me a lot … :P
Lgodinho
Drutt

Post by Lgodinho »

zx81 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:35 pm The best solution for you is a Zero 2 model, you can have HDMI audio & real keyboard support. Circle library doesn't support USB audio devices.
Hie José Luis,

Do you still have a copy of the zxscanner.py script file you used ?
Would you be kind to send it to me ? Please ! ;)
Only half of the keys are working correctly on mine other project ... :x

Many thanks in advance,

Luís Godinho
Lgodinho
Drutt

Post by Lgodinho »

Lgodinho wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:04 am Hie José Luis,

Do you still have a copy of the zxscanner.py script file you used ?
Would you be kind to send it to me ? Please ! ;)
Only half of the keys are working correctly on mine other project ... :x

Many thanks in advance,

Luís Godinho
:dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance
The problem is solved !!!!
Many thanks to cozy for is help !!!!
I finaly get it to work correctly and i can finish my project !!!!
:dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance
poke23606,69
Drutt

Post by poke23606,69 »

Lgodinho wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:58 pm :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance
The problem is solved !!!!
Many thanks to cozy for is help !!!!
I finaly get it to work correctly and i can finish my project !!!!
Hi

Would it be possible to share the zxscanner.py script?

Also does anyone know if a USB->9 pin joystick adapter exists, or is tapping into the keyboard the only way?

Do USB speakers work? Just curious about these things as it opens up other options.

Cheers
Ben
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

poke23606,69 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:00 pm Hi

Also does anyone know if a USB->9 pin joystick adapter exists, or is tapping into the keyboard the only way?

Do USB speakers work? Just curious about these things as it opens up other options.

Cheers
Ben
You can use a cheap Arduino to do 9-pin joystick to USB (among other ways), which would work with RetroPi and PC emulators, but unless the ZXBaremulator is configured with support for USB joysticks, then it won't work.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

Cheers
Ben
The Circle library doesn't support USB soundcards.

Any USB joystick with DirectInput can work, you can simulate a PS3 gamepad too. Anyway, you can connect a DB9 joystick like a keyboard, but using the correct keyb lines to emulate an Sinclair I or II model.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Cheers
Ben
Is this the one you wanted please check before you use it :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UtZ4dK ... share_link
Be Safe! Be Happy! and have some Speccy FUN!!!
dj_johnnyg
Drutt

Post by dj_johnnyg »

Hi All,

Sorry to bump such an old thread (especially as my 1st post), but I'm struggling to get this working on a Pi Zero 2 W.

I have started by creating the SD with the PiOS Lite 32-bit image, using the official Pi installer, then copying the "All files" zip contents into the root of the SD. - I've managed to get the Emulator working on a Zero and Zero W.

If I then boot the SD in the Zero 2 I get stuck on the "rainbow" screen, and if I grab the files from the official repro as described earlier in the thread, I get a black screen, then no output to the TV. I've also tried an old fix of renaming the Pi3 dtb to be a zero 2, but that doesn't work either.

I'm assuming I'm doing something dumb here, so any help appreciated. I have tried a couple of different Pis and SD cards, all with the same outcome.

I'm wanting to use the Zero2 for Audio via HDMI, and the Pi3 isn't an option due to lack of availability here in NZ and also the fact people are selling 2nd hand ones for more than new Pi4's :roll:

Thanks
John
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

dj_johnnyg wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:00 am Sorry to bump such an old thread (especially as my 1st post), but I'm struggling to get this working on a Pi Zero 2 W.
Hi,

Go to https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot and get all the *.dtb files, start.elf, fixup.dat and bootcode.bin, update these files on the SD and, probably, ZXB works again.

Edited by Admin to reduce quote
dj_johnnyg
Drutt

Post by dj_johnnyg »

Hi,

Not sure what's going on, but finally got it working this afternoon. Used a different brand of SD card and also noticed the SD card reader on my old laptop was constantly saying the card was write protected. Found a cheapo SD to USB reader & updated the files as mentioned & happy days.

Next job is to get the soldering iron out to mount this in my old 48k, which refuses to live again.
If the +2 doesn't respond to surgery, then it will be getting the same treatment.
Bernie
Drutt

Post by Bernie »

Morning all

I am looking at making use of an old pi 1 in a new project. I’m thinking of putting one in a +2 case (still to source) with two joystick ports and scart output.

It’s just occurred to me that the pi1 only has 26 GPIO pins, not 40, which means there are enough to get a keyboard working with the zxbaremulator right?
Heyho
Drutt

Post by Heyho »

I've just discovered this amazing emulator, some time after it's been abandoned!

I have a question regarding joystick compatibility. I can successfully connect a PS3 controller with a cable and cycle through the joystick types, and everything works as expected.

I also have a Suzo Arcade joystick connected using a Monster joysticks 9 pin to USB adapter. This works in FUSE when set up as a cursor joystick, but I don't seem to be able to get it working in Zxbaremulator.

In Linux it identifies as:

ID 16c0:27dc Van Ooijen Technische Informatica Joystick

And the manufacturer states that it operates as a simple plug and play USB 1.1 HID joystick requiring no drivers.

Is there a way in Zxbaremulator to cycle through different joystick types using the keyboard?
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

The wired PS3 controller will work well. The Joystick type (kempston, AGF, sinclair etc.) can be toggled with the SELECT key on the PS3 controller. Your other controller will most likely not work. Pro-tip : support the usb connector on the ps3 controller with a blob of blue-tack..it will save it wiggling during a good run of Atic Atac and cause a crash.
Heyho
Drutt

Post by Heyho »

Yeah, the PS3 wired works well, but I was hoping to replicate my original Speccy experience.

I've got a generic cheap game pad coming in a few days. If that works I'll butcher it to make my own adapter.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

The gamepads suported are specified on the project page.

Others gamepads could be detected using the HID descriptor, but isn't probable that the controls are correctly mapped, and you need a specific button to select the joystick model to emulate.
Heyho
Drutt

Post by Heyho »

Yeah, I understand that, I was just hoping that I might get lucky and find it was the same as something that was supported.

It doesn't matter, I have options that do work, and for me, in terms of being the closest emulator to a real spectrum, I thank you for this amazing piece of software.