ZXBaremulator 3.2

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Re: ZXBaremulator 3.2

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Bernie wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:43 pm You dont use them all. I think spectrums use the Atari layout (eg. https://atariage.com/forums/topic/22547 ... on-ground/).
Thanks
Be Safe! Be Happy! and have some Speccy FUN!!!
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

ZXBaremulator - GPIO "Cursor" Joystick Port

Post by MonkZy »

I am assuming you have read the magPI 67 article. I refer to KB1 and KB2 which is used in the article for the two keyboard connectors. KB1 is 5 lines, no diodes. KB2 is 8 lines with diodes.

For a sinclair 'left' port:
Connect the common to KB2, line 1, which is GPIO 25. This must be connected before the diode, the same side of the diode as the keyboard connector.
LEFT to KB1, line 1 (GPIO 26)
RIGHT to KB1, line 2 (GPIO 19)
DOWN to KB1, line 3 (GPIO 13)
UP to KB1, line 4 (GPIO 6)
FIRE to KB1, line 5 (GPIO 5)

For a sinclair 'right' port:
Connect the common to KB2, line 4, which is GPIO 22. This also must be connected before the diode.
LEFT to KB1, line 5 (GPIO 5)
RIGHT to KB1, line 4 (GPIO 6)
DOWN to KB1, line 3 (GPIO 13)
UP to KB1, line 2 (GPIO 19)
FIRE to KB1, line 1 (GPIO 26)

Have fun! This is a great joystick setup for the ZXBaremulator.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Just finished the final touch to my Zx spectrum 48K + case with this great emulator to look like a 128k toastrack!!! I used a 3d printed heat sink and some red 128k sticker,enjoy the pictures ,and thanks again for this great emulator!!
**** Is there anyway I can make it boot into 128k mode instead of 48k :) ****

Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

@oO cozy Oo

Life is funny, the two of us have literally changed sides. :)
I waited several years hoping that the Baremulator would meet all my expectations and then I saw your project with the Sinclairian package and realized that this is what suits me better.
Fuse, as a highly accurate emulator, gives me everything I missed, Save option, support for many Spectrum models and additional hardware inlcuding Spectranet, wifi access to games database, 50hz sync for perfectly smooth scroll, much better tape/disk support etc.
All this in small but powerfull Pi3A+, with real Speccy keyboard connection and narrowed boot time to 6 second, becomes a winner to me.
The only thing I missed was the real tape load, but I have that on zx-uno.
What I'm interested in is the PCB for Pi3A+ you mentioned earlier, but I think the GPIO pinout in SInclairian is different than the BM, so I'm not sure if any correction is possible ?
btw, realy nice work and great pictures, you have lot of talent for photography and presentation...
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Pegaz wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:16 am @oO cozy Oo

Life is funny, the two of us have literally changed sides. :)
I waited several years hoping that the Baremulator would meet all my expectations and then I saw your project with the Sinclairian package and realized that this is what suits me better.
Fuse, as a highly accurate emulator, gives me everything I missed, Save option, support for many Spectrum models and additional hardware inlcuding Spectranet, wifi access to games database, 50hz sync for perfectly smooth scroll, much better tape/disk support etc.
All this in small but powerfull Pi3A+, with real Speccy keyboard connection and narrowed boot time to 6 second, becomes a winner to me.
The only thing I missed was the real tape load, but I have that on zx-uno.
What I'm interested in is the PCB for Pi3A+ you mentioned earlier, but I think the GPIO pinout in SInclairian is different than the BM, so I'm not sure if any correction is possible ?
btw, realy nice work and great pictures, you have lot of talent for photography and presentation...
Thanks for the reply :) As for Sinclairian I changed the the GPIO settings in zxscanner.py to match the Zxbaremulator so i could swap sd cards in each machine i have, so it should work in the new PCB but retro shack has changed the PCB to the new PI zero 2 (cheaper).
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

oO cozy Oo wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:15 pm Thanks for the reply :) As for Sinclairian I changed the the GPIO settings in zxscanner.py to match the Zxbaremulator so i could swap sd cards in each machine i have, so it should work in the new PCB but retro shack has changed the PCB to the new PI zero 2 (cheaper).
That's not a problem, pi zero 2 is also fine. :)
Can you tell me exactly where pcb can be ordered, cant find it right now ?
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Pegaz wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:33 pm
oO cozy Oo wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:15 pm Thanks for the reply :) As for Sinclairian I changed the the GPIO settings in zxscanner.py to match the Zxbaremulator so i could swap sd cards in each machine i have, so it should work in the new PCB but retro shack has changed the PCB to the new PI zero 2 (cheaper).
That's not a problem, pi zero 2 is also fine. :)
Can you tell me exactly where pcb can be ordered, cant find it right now ?
From His Youtube Channel, I think he`s waiting for a Pi zero 2 to do a video on it then he`ll release the PCB`s.

The Retro Shack
4 months ago
Well here it is - the (hopefully!) final ZX Baremulator build designed around the Raspberry Pi Zero W 2.

Utilising the on-board connectivity and exploring the test pads on the bottom of the board to expose further bits, we've ended up with (presuming all works in testing!):

Composite TV Output (no sound in this mode - yet...)
Rear-facing HDMI Output
DC Barrel Jack
Two USB ports
Relocated rear-facing SD card
Reset Button
Menu Button

Should get a few of these soldered up in the next week or so and then I'll be asking some of you out there in the community to build and test a few of these and provide feedback.

Hope it was worth the wait :) :)

andrusk
Drutt

Post by andrusk »

Hi, I just got my speccy working like I would like to.

I use Zxzero board with Pi Zero 2 W, but out of the box this board is not compatible with ZXBaremulator, keyboard wiring is different. So I rewired keyboard and also made sd-card available via external slot. I use Zelux keyboard with white leds, but I substituted its 100g (1N) switches to 50g (0.5N) actuation force switches (regular PC keyboard also use 0.5N switches). I like the outcome.

Maybe I would use Pi 3A+ for next build, but I'm quite happy with it as is.

oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

andrusk wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:25 pm Hi, I just got my speccy working like I would like to.

I use Zxzero board with Pi Zero 2 W, but out of the box this board is not compatible with ZXBaremulator, keyboard wiring is different. So I rewired keyboard and also made sd-card available via external slot. I use Zelux keyboard with white leds, but I substituted its 100g (1N) switches to 50g (0.5N) actuation force switches (regular PC keyboard also use 0.5N switches). I like the outcome.

Maybe I would use Pi 3A+ for next build, but I'm quite happy with it as is.

That is a nice setup thanks for sharing.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Just came across a little thing with this amazing Emulator! If you select 48k mode and load a game, then select 128k mode and load a game, then select 128+2a and load a game you can then keep selecting the games as all three games are all loaded until you reset lol as all games are running at the same time. :lol:
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

oO cozy Oo wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:46 pm Just finished the final touch to my Zx spectrum 48K + case with this great emulator to look like a 128k toastrack!!! I used a 3d printed heat sink and some red 128k sticker,enjoy the pictures ,and thanks again for this great emulator!!
**** Is there anyway I can make it boot into 128k mode instead of 48k :) ****

Where can I get that 3d printed heatsink please? I'd love this for my next n-go build. It's ace.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

A friend of a friend did a 3D print from https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3906171 for me and I sprayed it 3 times with matt black paint
One is on this project and the other one is on my ZX Sizif project!!
:dance :dance :dance
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

@Jbizzel

Activeconsult do a 3D printed heat sink for £5 (£8 to the West Midlands postage) Total for me is £15. Might be worth a look, If you do get one I would spray them at least 3 coats of matt black more if you can to hide the printing marks left by the 3d printing.

"ZX Spectrum Fake Heatsink (Toastrack)
Please be advised that I am only charging for materials, time and energy.
. Choice of Black, White or Clear
. Long screws included x 3"

https://store.activeconsult.co.uk/shop/ ... ugust-2022

Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

@oO cozy Oo Nice!! The red ones look really good too. Thanks.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

I did a test print last night in gloss black and it came out quite well.
4h 30m @ 0.2mm resolution in PETG
https://postimg.cc/gallery/72Vx7hp
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Nitrowing wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:34 pm I did a test print last night in gloss black and it came out quite well.
4h 30m @ 0.2mm resolution in PETG
https://postimg.cc/gallery/72Vx7hp

It looks good, do you think it would be easy/effective to sand and paint?
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Jbizzel wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:37 pm It looks good, do you think it would be easy/effective to sand and paint?
Sanding... it would be tricky getting in between the fins! If you had a lot of patience :lol:
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Here's a (really) close up...
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Nitrowing wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:38 am Here's a (really) close up...
Looks good, but with a few coats of matt black makes a difference, did use a final coat of gloss varnish but the matt looked better!
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

oO cozy Oo wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:54 pm Looks good, but with a few coats of matt black makes a difference, did use a final coat of gloss varnish but the matt looked better!
Jo Prusa is going to have to bring something mindblowing to market before I give up on the MkII :lol:

Yeah, a few coats of matte or satin black would probably produce a uniform finish.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Do you think it might be possible to make a silicone mould and use resign, 3D printing seems to take ages and you can see the lines or do you think resign might be to brittle, I might do one to see if its any good and offer them to to forum for projects :lol: :lol:
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Silicon moulds can be made but only after doing a 'final finish' on the printed part. Unless you have black resin, it'll need spraying anyway. The trick with resin is to include fibre, the same as producing fiberglass bodywork. You'd have to wait for the resin to cure too.
The upside to producing a print is that it's up to the end user how well finished they want it once they receive it.
I usually start a print like this (over 4 hours) late evening. I can check the first few layers are good before going to bed :D
Lgodinho
Drutt

Post by Lgodinho »

wonderful project ! It works realy fine for me.
Many thanks for all your work José Luís ... :dance

Lgodinho
Drutt

Post by Lgodinho »

José Luís,
Thank you for your like.
Unfortunately, I am a little bit disappointed with my project because with a Raspberry zero w I don’t have sound via HDMI.
Do you think it’s possible to have sound via a USB audio device like this !?
Regards,
Luís Godinho

Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Lgodinho wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:04 am José Luís,
Thank you for your like.
Unfortunately, I am a little bit disappointed with my project because with a Raspberry zero w I don’t have sound via HDMI.
Do you think it’s possible to have sound via a USB audio device like this !?
Regards,
Luís Godinho

Nope, you need at least Pi Zero 2 or Pi3 A+.