ZXBaremulator 3.2

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
arjun
Microbot

Re: ZXBaremulator 3.2

Post by arjun »

zx81 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:09 pm
ZXBaremulator is a failed project and doomed from the start. I don't touch his source code anymore, no new versions or bugfixes, neither. When I need any bugfix or feature, I don't release it.

For me, ZXBaremulator is dead.
Wait, what? Why? It's a truly unique and fantastic emulator IMO. Of course, if it's a personal decision then I truly respect that. Everyone needs some time off from their baby. ;)
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Bernie wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:47 am Morning

In addition to my joystick question above, I have run into another issue and would be grateful for some guidance with.

I am in the process of wiring my old plus keyboard to the GPIO pins of a pi 2 (I fried my 3a+ yesterday due to some lousy soldering...).

Anyway, I have got it working but when the baremulator boots up it says ‘you need a gpio keyboard connected’. Does anyone know how I stop this from being displayed?

Cheers
Bernie:-
I know this old but I`ve managed to HEX edit the image files to say " Spectrum GPIO keyboard connected " when only the spectrum gpio is connected.
Or you could do it yourself by using a Hex editor and use the search option to find "you need a gpio keyboard connected" and replace the text.
PM me and ill send you a link to download the 3 image files :- kernel.img kernel8-32.img kernel7.img

I Hope ZX81 don`t mind :)
Be Safe! Be Happy! and have some Speccy FUN!!!
walterg74
Drutt

Post by walterg74 »

Well of course, it figures...

I just discover this now and the author abandons it...

Oh well, at least it works nicely. Would have loved some scanlines though :)

By the way, anybody know if you can reset the emulation? (not the whole pi with ctrl-alt-del). I see mentions in the help and some pages online, but I cannot seem to hit any key combo that resets the spectrum.

Thanks.

Edit: Forgot one question I don't understand... I see you download the "allfiles" and then there are optimized kernels for different PI versions, but the allfiles has them all. Are they automatically selected, or am I supposed to rename the one I want based on the Pi I will use and delete the others?
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

walterg74 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:20 am Well of course, it figures...

By the way, anybody know if you can reset the emulation? (not the whole pi with ctrl-alt-del). I see mentions in the help and some pages online, but I cannot seem to hit any key combo that resets the spectrum.

Thanks.

Edit: Forgot one question I don't understand... I see you download the "allfiles" and then there are optimized kernels for different PI versions, but the allfiles has them all. Are they automatically selected, or am I supposed to rename the one I want based on the Pi I will use and delete the others?
You can reset the emulation pressing CTRL+Pause. Some reduced keyboards don't have the Pause key, that's true. For the PI 3 version, I've added two key combinations, Alt+P to pause and Alt+R to reset. But I haven't compiled the these version for Pi-2/1.

When you have a micro-SD with Linux, you can rename the Linux kernel.img and put the emulator. But for a brand new microSD, the easiest option is the allfiles.zip. The PI firmware examines the hardware and chooses between kernel.img, kernel7.img or kernel8-32.img automatically.
walterg74
Drutt

Post by walterg74 »

zx81 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:00 pm
walterg74 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:20 am Well of course, it figures...

Thanks.

You can reset the emulation pressing CTRL+Pause. Some reduced keyboards don't have the Pause key, that's true. For the PI 3 version, I've added two key combinations, Alt+P to pause and Alt+R to reset. But I haven't compiled the these version for Pi-2/1.

When you have a micro-SD with Linux, you can rename the Linux kernel.img and put the emulator. But for a brand new microSD, the easiest option is the allfiles.zip. The PI firmware examines the hardware and chooses between kernel.img, kernel7.img or kernel8-32.img automatically.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I don´t think the KB I use (the official raspberry pi one) has the pause key. Is there any alternative/remap? Edit (because I saw the rest of the comment) I am trying ALT-R and it does nothing. Have a 3B and 3B+.

One other thing I wanted to ask, I noticed that switching between 48K/128K/+2A, when going back all the content is still there. Are all 3 active at the same time in memory? :)
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

walterg74 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:24 pm
zx81 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:00 pm You can reset the emulation pressing CTRL+Pause. Some reduced keyboards don't have the Pause key, that's true. For the PI 3 version, I've added two key combinations, Alt+P to pause and Alt+R to reset. But I haven't compiled the these version for Pi-2/1.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I don´t think the KB I use (the official raspberry pi one) has the pause key. Is there any alternative/remap? Edit (because I saw the rest of the comment) I am trying ALT-R and it does nothing. Have a 3B and 3B+.

One other thing I wanted to ask, I noticed that switching between 48K/128K/+2A, when going back all the content is still there. Are all 3 active at the same time in memory? :)
I don't know these keyboard, I'm sorry.

The emulator maintains in memory the three models at once, but only the model on screen is running, the two others are paused.
walterg74
Drutt

Post by walterg74 »

zx81 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:40 pm I don't know these keyboard, I'm sorry.

The emulator maintains in memory the three models at once, but only the model on screen is running, the two others are paused.
That´s ok. No worries. Any Idea why ALT-R would not work, if it´s just a normal keyboard besides the missing key?

The 3 emus at the same time is a nice feature :)
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

walterg74 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:09 pm
zx81 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:40 pm I don't know these keyboard, I'm sorry.

That´s ok. No worries. Any Idea why ALT-R would not work, if it´s just a normal keyboard besides the missing key?

As I said before, the Alt+R is implemented on a special version for PI-3 models only. This version isn't on the project web page.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

@ zx81 this is an awesome Emulator for the Pi !!!!! People moan about no save sate but was there a save sate on the real zx spectrum when you play a game NO, If you want a save sate if you are programming then use an pc emulator or the real thing.. Thanks again!!
walterg74
Drutt

Post by walterg74 »

zx81 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:57 pm
walterg74 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:09 pm That´s ok. No worries. Any Idea why ALT-R would not work, if it´s just a normal keyboard besides the missing key?

As I said before, the Alt+R is implemented on a special version for PI-3 models only. This version isn't on the project web page.
Hmm ok. I did see you said "Pi 3 version", but nowhere did it say special. And since the project page also has version 3 optimized, I thought that was it. No worries...
walterg74
Drutt

Post by walterg74 »

oO cozy Oo wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:58 pm @ zx81 this is an awesome Emulator for the Pi !!!!! People moan about no save sate but was there a save sate on the real zx spectrum when you play a game NO, If you want a save sate if you are programming then use an pc emulator or the real thing.. Thanks again!!

Save states are for wimps... :lol:
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Zx81 is there any chance that this great emulator can boot into 128k mode first ,I`ve been looking at all the files with a HEX editor to find a way of looking into the files..
thanks again for a cracking emulator!!!
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

oO cozy Oo wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:36 pm Zx81 is there any chance that this great emulator can boot into 128k mode first ,I`ve been looking at all the files with a HEX editor to find a way of looking into the files..
I asked this allready, along with a few more things and you can see the final answer here.
ZXBaremulator is a failed project and doomed from the start. I don't touch his source code anymore, no new versions or bugfixes, neither. When I need any bugfix or feature, I don't release it.
For me, ZXBaremulator is dead
I accepted the reality and move on.
Now, we have a way to connect Raspberry Pi using Fuse, with a real spectrum keyboard directly on GPIO Pins and it's a great alternative to me.
btw, It would be enough that there's any Save option that works (not necessarily Save State), but BM doesn't have working Save support at all.
That's why your earlier comment isn't correct.
Of course, real ZX Spectrum doesn't have Save State, but at least there are Save command that works.
You can't play Elite and some other games properly, if you can't save your progres, not even a simple Basic program.
It was a nice journey, but now we need to respect the author's decision and realize that this is the end of story...
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Pegaz wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:12 pm
oO cozy Oo wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:36 pm Zx81 is there any chance that this great emulator can boot into 128k mode first ,I`ve been looking at all the files with a HEX editor to find a way of looking into the files..
I asked this allready, along with a few more things and you can see the final answer here.
For me, ZXBaremulator is dead
I accepted the reality and move on.
Now, we have a way to connect Raspberry Pi using Fuse, with a real spectrum keyboard directly on GPIO Pins and it's a great alternative to me.
btw, It would be enough that there's any Save option that works (not necessarily Save State), but BM doesn't have working Save support at all.
That's why your earlier comment isn't correct.
Of course, real ZX Spectrum doesn't have Save State, but at least there are Save command that works.
You can't play Elite and some other games properly, if you can't save your progres, not even a simple Basic program.
It was a nice journey, but now we need to respect the author's decision and realize that this is the end of story...
Thanks for your reply, I`ve got a zx rubber keyboard with Fuse with a PI Zero see here "https://thec64community.online/thread/8 ... ctrum-case" which is good but my zx Spectrum +48 with a PI3 and zxbaremulator is a much better experience. Sad that there`s no more updates on this Emulator :(
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

oO cozy Oo wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:10 pm Thanks for your reply, I`ve got a zx rubber keyboard with Fuse with a PI Zero see here "https://thec64community.online/thread/8 ... ctrum-case" which is good but my zx Spectrum +48 with a PI3 and zxbaremulator is a much better experience. Sad that there`s no more updates on this Emulator :(
A good option now is the new Zero 2 W. Change the FW files from allfiles.zip by the ones at the official repo (*.dtb, bootcode.bin, start.elf, fixup.dat) and you will have HDMI sound for free.

This was tested today by another user and works.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

zx81 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:34 pm
oO cozy Oo wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:10 pm Thanks for your reply, I`ve got a zx rubber keyboard with Fuse with a PI Zero see here "https://thec64community.online/thread/8 ... ctrum-case" which is good but my zx Spectrum +48 with a PI3 and zxbaremulator is a much better experience. Sad that there`s no more updates on this Emulator :(
A good option now is the new Zero 2 W. Change the FW files from allfiles.zip by the ones at the official repo (*.dtb, bootcode.bin, start.elf, fixup.dat) and you will have HDMI sound for free.

I did see that the new zero has multi cores, I built two spectrums just to use fuse on one of them to use the save state option, but I like using yours!
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

zx81 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:34 pm

This is actually a very good news... I have a feeling that this new pi zero is my next favorite toy. ;)
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

I started a project i wanted to do as i had a zx spectrum after the Vic20 back in the day, the zx spectrum next was way to expensive so i started looking at the Raspberry Pie projects using this Emulator. The whole project cost me about £100.I did look to buy all brand new zx spectrum parts (£62) but i did`nt want the rubber keyboard so used ebay for a zx spectrum plus keyboard (£60) which i think looks better i also added micro sd extention cable and usb cables, the keyboard works as well. So here`s the pictures.
upload pic
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

You tuber Retro Shack has made a PCB board for the Raspberry PI 3 +A for ZXBaremulator to fit inside a zx spectrum case, looks very nice here is his link to the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l01IzAbVLEc
Bernie
Drutt

Post by Bernie »

oO cozy Oo wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:07 pm I started a project i wanted to do as i had a zx spectrum after the Vic20 back in the day, the zx spectrum next was way to expensive so i started looking at the Raspberry Pie projects using this Emulator. The whole project cost me about £100.I did look to buy all brand new zx spectrum parts (£62) but i did`nt want the rubber keyboard so used ebay for a zx spectrum plus keyboard (£60) which i think looks better i also added micro sd extention cable and usb cables, the keyboard works as well. So here`s the pictures.
Good work, it looks great. I recommend installing a joystick port. Using an original quickshot II adds some extra magic.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Bernie wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:22 am
oO cozy Oo wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:07 pm I started a project i wanted to do as i had a zx spectrum after the Vic20 back in the day, the zx spectrum next was way to expensive so i started looking at the Raspberry Pie projects using this Emulator. The whole project cost me about £100.I did look to buy all brand new zx spectrum parts (£62) but i did`nt want the rubber keyboard so used ebay for a zx spectrum plus keyboard (£60) which i think looks better i also added micro sd extention cable and usb cables, the keyboard works as well. So here`s the pictures.
Good work, it looks great. I recommend installing a joystick port. Using an original quickshot II adds some extra magic.
Is there a link to show where to add a joystick port, that would be great but does this emulator support original joysticks???
megaribi
Drutt

Post by megaribi »

I have received Rapsberry pi 4 for my birthday, but I am a bit disappointed that ZX Baremulator does not work on it. Is there a chance for porting it to Rapsberry pi 4?
Bernie
Drutt

Post by Bernie »

oO cozy Oo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:00 pm
Bernie wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:22 am

Is there a link to show where to add a joystick port, that would be great but does this emulator support original joysticks???
Cozy

There is a bit of discussion earlier in this thread. I cobbled mine together using monkzys post and what I could find on the internet. Basically, you run spurs off the KB1 connection (with diodes) to a joystick port. The joystick replicates the KB1 key presses, which coincides with interface 2. I have attached some photos to show what I did. The port wiring of mine is a bit odd because my joystick happens to be for a mega drive, not a speccy, so it has different pin uses. But it shows the principle and it was fairly straight forward, once you work out which pin is up, down, ground etc

oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Thanks for adding this and for the PM, I'll have a go at this when my 9 pin joystick port comes from flea Bay and also a silly question what pins do you use on the joystick port as there is 9?
Bernie
Drutt

Post by Bernie »

You dont use them all. I think spectrums use the Atari layout (eg. https://atariage.com/forums/topic/22547 ... on-ground/).