The Perils of Willy

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
jetsetdanny
Berk

Re: The Perils of Willy

Post by jetsetdanny »

highrise wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:15 pm
My walkthrough of "The Perils of Willy" was taken down from a website, because someone didn't like the fact that it was there.

The walkthrough I recorded was not of some experimental, development or beta version of a computer program. It was of a publicly released product which the author is encouraging people to pay for. I paid for it. I purchased it.

My walkthrough was denied to the public, because someone didn't like the fact that it was available.
It was taken down because the recording enabled the full download of the game to be available in a format that was not approved. The game is freely available for anyone to download from the itch.io page
Yes, this is correct, but a video was not made of my walkthrough and was not uploaded on the RZX Archive because you requested that this should not be done.

highrise wrote:
This is censorship. This is what happens in totalitarian regimes. Some books are never published, because someone doesn't want them to be available to the public. Some movies are never screened, because someone does not allow them to be made public. Things are taken down from websites, because someone doesn't like them and decides they shouldn't be there.
No, it isn't, it's denial of distibution of something which is available elsewhere.
Where is a video of my walkthrough available online?

highrise wrote:
When I go to a bookstore and buy a book, I can read it any way I want. The author will not be telling me how to read it. I can read it slowly and thoroughly, I can skim-read it or scan it, I can read just one chapter if I want, or half a chapter. I may not read it at all if I decide it’s not worth it. It is my choice.
Absolutely correct. But can you photocopy and publish that book? No, you can't. Is that censorship? no, it isn't.
A video of my walkthrough would not be a copy of your game file.

highrise wrote:
When I buy a computer game, I can play it any way I want. The author will not be telling me how to play it. I can play it as is, I can use POKEs or Rollback, I can save and reload snapshots. I can play it for ten hours or for ten minutes. I may not play it at all if I decide it’s not worth it. It is my choice.
Absolutely correct. But again, you can't publish yourself doing that if it includes content that you did not create yourself. You can only do that with the consent of the author.
Making an RZX recording is creating content. The way I play the game is unique, someone else would not have recorded it exactly in the same way.

highrise wrote:
The thing is, I think it's clear just how reasonable I've been.
I regard blocking videos of walkthroughs from being posted in order to enforce one's fantasies of how players should enjoy one's game as unreasonable. That's all there is to it.
1 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Things are getting a bit heated, and I don't have time to sit and ponder this right now (I need a better afternoon's work than my morning's!). Sorry, going to lock the thread to open later.

EDIT—thread unlocked. It's hard to imagine anyone changing their own point of view on this. Please let's not have this end in a big argument. Now's not the time.
2 x

highrise
Dizzy

Post by highrise »

Danny and I have spoken via private message and everything is all fine between us, so if any of you have questions or comments about Perils of Willy, you can resume them now :)

As mentioned in the comments, the game was built using source code from a reverse engineered Manic Miner. I didn't do the reverse engineering however, what I did was recode the screen, sprite and animation routines in order to accommodate the differences in the Vic version. This was done to make it feel as close as possible to the other games in the series.
3 x

akeley
Microbot

Post by akeley »

So I've played it a bit more yesterday. Similarly to one previous poster I've actually never liked neither Miner nor JSW back in the day - I just suck at platformers in general and find the precise jumping mechanic extremely frustrating.

But I really do like TPoW, maybe it's the retro-charm factor, but the game is undeniably very smooth, which helps with playability. There's none of the control/code hiccups which sometimes hinder older games. I will try the VIC original later, see how this one plays. I also don't know remeber how it compares to MM/JSW difficulty but I actually made it to the 4th screen, which for me is a massive achievement :D

The title screen is also rather exquisite. The intro music did not bother me...is it really just beeper? And, is it based on a Led Zeppelin tune?

Overall, it's a great job, and a very competent port.
2 x

highrise
Dizzy

Post by highrise »

I have a code blog which details a lot of the work done on the game:

https://www.youtube.com/happycodingzx
0 x