For comparison, here's the standard NMI browser:
And here's mine:
It supports long filenames by reading the disk directly. It also sorts the folders and files alphabetically.
The latest version can be downloaded from here.
To install, unzip and copy the BROWSE file into the root SYS folder (where all the other command files live) on your disk. You should then be able to enter:
from BASIC to launch the browser.
- Cursor up / down - move selection
- Space / Enter - select a folder or launch a supported file
- Delete / P - navigate to parent folder
- Break / X - exit browser
- Currently supports FAT16 disks only.
- Currently only reads from esxdos device 0.
- Limit of browsing 256 files in a folder.
- Only launches .tap files (no .sna / .trd support yet).
- Doesn't start browsing from the current directory - always starts from the root folder.
- Unsupported characters (> ASCII 127) are displayed as '~'.
- Filenames (> 32 characters) are not clipped.