Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
tom-cat
Drutt

Re: Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Post by tom-cat »

Thank you for the Slideshow mode in the SCR plugin (I had it hacked in here before). Please add support for keys LEFT/RIGHT also in Slideshow mode, so one can also go through the pictures manually if you want to skip a picture or go back to the previous one.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Luzie wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:49 pm
bob_fossil wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:36 pm New test version available http://www.thefossilrecord.co.uk/wp-con ... T020-1.zip
Dear @bob_fossil: .2browse not yet included in the package? - Am I right?
No not yet. Will probably be a separate release when it's ready - it still needs some bug squashing, tidying up and testing. :)
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

tom-cat wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:50 pm Thank you for the Slideshow mode in the SCR plugin (I had it hacked in here before). Please add support for keys LEFT/RIGHT also in Slideshow mode, so one can also go through the pictures manually if you want to skip a picture or go back to the previous one.
Should be fixed in the next test version.
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

A request for a future version of the browser. Create a plugin for the .TFC files which are sound files for Turbo Sound FM (on the ZX-Uno there is a spectrum core by azesmbog which has support for it). Now we can only play with the .playtfm command.
tom-cat
Drutt

Post by tom-cat »

RIP sir Clive Sinclair. Sad day :(

And thanks to this very browser I still use my first computer daily... Nothing beats the feeling of the rubber keys and the noisy video output on a real ZX spectrum 48k. Thanx again Bob!
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

New test version available here.

PT2 plugin now supports the same configuration options as the PT3 plugin (PT2 plugin is now using the same code but assembled with PT2 support instead). Browser keys now work during slideshow mode in the SCR plugin and the RAD plugin now supports the 6160 byte variant of Radistan images. If you have a Kempston joystick that supports two fire buttons, the second fire button will now navigate to the parent folder.

A number of changes have been made to the _UNO config plugin. Options for Joystick Splitter, Turbo Sound, Channels A/B/C and Beeper / Specdrum have been added. As you can now change quite a few options, I've added the ability to save and load configurations to speed up switching between machine configurations.

Once you've selected your desired configuration, press Symbol Shift + S and you'll be presented with 9 save slots. You can then select a slot to save to and give it a more meaningful description (well, as meaningful as you can be with 32 characters). These files are saved to /BIN/BPLUGINGS/CFG/UNOSTAT.001 ... UNOSTAT.009 . To load a configuration back, from the main _UNO screen, press Symbol Shift + L. The available configurations are listed and you can select them by entering 1-9. Once the options menu is shown, press ENTER to apply your new configuration. Seems to work on my UNO but it needs further testing. :)
tom-cat
Drutt

Post by tom-cat »

Everything working on the 48k rubber keys perfectly now... the stuff that I could test of course :) Thank you.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

[mention]desUBIKado[/mention] found an issue with the new ZX-UNO sound configuration options which means that it doesn't work correctly. This should be fixed in the next test version.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

bob_fossil wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:52 pm @desUBIKado found an issue with the new ZX-UNO sound configuration options which means that it doesn't work correctly. This should be fixed in the next test version.
I dont know if it's connected to this issue, but yesterday after installing latest test version, I noticed some sound crackling and at first, just blamed my old speakers.
Didnt find exactly why it happens, but mostly after the hard reset, everything is ok, though sometimes I need to do the power off/on.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

New test version available here.

_UNO configuration plugin now correctly reads and writes the current audio settings (Channels A/B/C and Beeper/Specdrum). Some additional error checking was also added to the save slot code.

Added support for Kempston second fire button on the divMMC Future. Thanks to [mention]patters[/mention] for testing this and [mention]desUBIKado[/mention] for confirming it still worked on the ZX-UNO.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I noticed this before, but now I need to report, that turbo mode function with F12 doesn't always work, sometimes is just locked at 28MHz and can't change, even through the Control Panel (Shift + C).
Also, in extreme cases keyboard stops working properly, only helps power off/on.
Usually happens when loading PZX files and turbo mode enabled with F12.
I tested with ZX-UNO+ and default Spectrum core, from the latest desUBIKado package.
It happens equally with LFN v.019 final, as well as with these few latest v.020 builds.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

In the meantime, I continued to test various pzx files and looks like compatibility on ZX-UNO is not at the level of other emulators.
I would estimate that between 5-10% of pzx files do not work for now.
Is there a room for improving pzx compatibility in the future ?
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

Pegaz wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:37 pm In the meantime, I continued to test various pzx files and looks like compatibility on ZX-UNO is not at the level of other emulators.
Hi Pegaz,

I don't remember having problems loading .PZX files. Give me a zip file with the .PZX files that don't work and I'll try them myself.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Pegaz wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:37 pm In the meantime, I continued to test various pzx files and looks like compatibility on ZX-UNO is not at the level of other emulators.
Do the files work if you load them through the .loadpzx dot command? I've encountered issues with starting PZX files with old Speedlock loaders (single basic block type and the short basic block, long basic block type with the ROM loader colours) like Bruce Lee, Blue Max or Bountry Bob Strikes Back. You can workaround this by attaching a PZX file without auto starting it, exiting the browser and then doing LOAD "" from BASIC.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

bob_fossil wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:28 pm
Do the files work if you load them through the .loadpzx dot command? I've encountered issues with starting PZX files with old Speedlock loaders (single basic block type and the short basic block, long basic block type with the ROM loader colours) like Bruce Lee, Blue Max or Bountry Bob Strikes Back. You can workaround this by attaching a PZX file without auto starting it, exiting the browser and then doing LOAD "" from BASIC.
Thanks Bob, I managed to load some of the non working pzx files this way, but not all of them.

[mention]desUBIKado[/mention]

Here are some of the stubborn files, which I failed to load.
https://easyupload.io/r91oyc

I also still have a problem, that after several PZX files loaded with F12 speedup active, Spectrum core remains locked in 28MHz turbo mode.
Only master reset and entering Setup F2 help, sometimes...
Any clue about that, or confirmation of this issue ?
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

Pegaz wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:44 pm @desUBIKado

Here are some of the stubborn files, which I failed to load.
https://easyupload.io/r91oyc
Hello Pegaz,

I have been able to load all 4 games. I'll tell you how I did the test:

I use my updated Summer of '21 distribution ( http://retrowiki.es/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=200037090 ). The ZX-Uno I used is a ZX GO+ with 2MB of SRAM memory, core EXP27-220521, rom Derby++ 64K, and Bob Fossil's browser v0.20a2 version .

1. MrHeli_IceDi.pzx: Loaded from the NMI browser and accelerated to 28Mhz to make it run faster.

2. MrHeli_NeilParsons.pzx: Loaded from the NMI browser and accelerated to 28Mhz to make it run faster.

3. Infiltrator: Launched from Bob Fossil's NMI browser. After a first part loading the program starts. You have to stop the playback of the tape by pressing F7 (PLAY/PAUSE). When the introduction is finished, the image of a helicopter appears. Then press F7 again and the loading continues until it ends and the game starts.

4. Hunchback 2_ALT: The loading of this game is a bit special because a reset occurs after loading a first part. It is very similar to what happens with the game Travel with Trashman. The solution is to disable the file browser by loading a NMY.SYS which only does a RET instruction. To do this in BASIC it is necessary to execute the following command

Code: Select all

.nmiinit /sys/nmi_none.sys
and with that, if you press F5 afterwards, you will see that the NMI browser does not appear any more, because as soon as you enter it executes the RET instruction and exits. Now it's time to load the game with the non-NMI browser running:

Code: Select all

.browse

Please, note that some games must be loaded in 48K mode or with 48K timings in order to load.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

[mention]desUBIKado[/mention]

Thanks, I managed to load only HunbackII with method you suggested, but the other three files refuse to load in the exact same way.
After the PZX file is inserted, the player does not start loading sequence at all, just a white screen, the F7 button does not start loading too.
If I try manually to attach pzx file with .loadpzx, the letter sequence appears on the screen, but the player will not start, as described...
My setup is almost the same as yours, except that I use ZX-UNO+ and the latest LFN v0.20v3 test version.
Can you check with ZX-UNO, just to confirm whether its happening at the exactly the same setup, or ZXGO makes a difference here ?
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Pegaz wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:12 pm
Thanks, I managed to load only HunbackII with method you suggested, but the other three files refuse to load in the exact same way.
After the PZX file is inserted, the player does not start loading sequence at all, just a white screen, the F7 button does not start loading too.
If I try manually to attach pzx file with .loadpzx, the letter sequence appears on the screen, but the player will not start, as described...
My setup is almost the same as yours, except that I use ZX-UNO+ and the latest LFN v0.20v3 test version.
Can you check with ZX-UNO, just to confirm whether its happening at the exactly the same setup, or ZXGO makes a difference here ?
Infiltrator and the two Mr Heli PZXs load without issue straight from the browser (F12 accelerated the loading too). Hunchback II is a Speedlock 1, so I opened the PZX without autostart in the browser, exited and did LOAD "" from BASIC and it loaded without issue. I didn't have to modify the NMI at all.

I'm running a ZX-UNO with 2mb BIOS v0.76 EXP27-160820.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Thanks, in that case probably is something on my end.
Ill try with minimal installation on sd card from scratch, maybe something is broke down during a lot of updates.
Only if 2MB of Ram expansion have some impact here, since I use stock ZX-UNO+ with 512KB RAM.
I think, [mention]Juan F. Ramirez[/mention] has the same model like me, maybe it can test this few pzx files...
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Just tried with clean install (esxdos v.0.8.9+latest LFN only on sd card), but still no luck, those pzx files doesnt load at all.
Tested with different Spectrum cores, models, timings, through browser or manually... but nothing helps...
Im running out of ideas right now, huge majority of my PZX files, work normally, but that small percentage - will not.
I did an internal memory test, tried hundreds of games in different formats, everything works OK, except this...
Has anyone else tested these files, with stock 512kb zx-uno or zx-uno+, maybe ?
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Pegaz wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:36 pm Just tried with clean install (esxdos v.0.8.9+latest LFN only on sd card), but still no luck, those pzx files doesnt load at all.
Tested with different Spectrum cores, models, timings, through browser or manually... but nothing helps...
Im running out of ideas right now, huge majority of my PZX files, work normally, but that small percentage - will not.
I did an internal memory test, tried hundreds of games in different formats, everything works OK, except this...
Could you please upload an Image of your SD-Card (or ZIPPED files from SD-Card) somewhere? So I can test it with my own ZX-Uno+ (512k RAM, BIOS v0.83).
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Luzie wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:03 pm
Pegaz wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:36 pm Just tried with clean install (esxdos v.0.8.9+latest LFN only on sd card), but still no luck, those pzx files doesnt load at all.
Could you please upload an Image of your SD-Card (or ZIPPED files from SD-Card) somewhere? So I can test it with my own ZX-Uno+ (512k RAM, BIOS v0.83).
Well, no need to upload, because I use [mention]desUBIKado[/mention] "Summer 21" image, which you can find here:
https://mega.nz/file/XspA3DLY#sAf-RR01j ... EuV2gHlt0k
(https://www.zxuno.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4142)
I just tested this image unmodified and the easiest example is two versions of the Infiltrator, which is located in the PZX/Multiload folder.
- The first version has two parts and its loaded quite normal, even directly from the browser.
- The second version has one part and it refuses to load, simply loading sequence doesnt start at all.
Also, you can simply test a few PZX files from the link I put yesterday (includes Infiltrator and two MrHeli versions which behaves the same way).
If working, just tell me which setup has been used: BIOS, Spectrum Core, Model, Timing, browser version.
I have BIOS 0.83, ESXDOS 0.8.9, default spectrum core (slot 1 EXP27-220521 from desubikado latest package), Derby 64k rom (tested also with other cores, roms and timings) and latest LFN browser v.018, v.019, v0.20...
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Pegaz wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:42 pm If working, just tell me which setup has been used: BIOS, Spectrum Core, Model, Timing, browser version.
I have BIOS 0.83, ESXDOS 0.8.9, default spectrum core (slot 1 EXP27-220521 from desubikado latest package), Derby 64k rom (tested also with other cores, roms and timings) and latest LFN browser v.018, v.019, v0.20...
OK. I´ll do the tests. But I think it takes some days to find me some spare time. Hope I can test on sunday. Will then respond here.
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

Pegaz wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:42 pm
Luzie wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:03 pm
Well, no need to upload, because I use @desUBIKado "Summer 21" image, which you can find here:
https://mega.nz/file/XspA3DLY#sAf-RR01j ... EuV2gHlt0k
(https://www.zxuno.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4142)
I just tested this image unmodified and the easiest example is two versions of the Infiltrator, which is located in the PZX/Multiload folder.
- The first version has two parts and its loaded quite normal, even directly from the browser.
- The second version has one part and it refuses to load, simply loading sequence doesnt start at all.
Also, you can simply test a few PZX files from the link I put yesterday (includes Infiltrator and two MrHeli versions which behaves the same way).
If working, just tell me which setup has been used: BIOS, Spectrum Core, Model, Timing, browser version.

The load of the second version of Infiltrator does not work on ZX-Uno with 512K memory. In theory it should be able to load up to 192KB files without any problems, and that one is only 149.5 KB. I'm going to expose the problem in the ZX-Uno Telegram forum.
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

Hi [mention]Pegaz[/mention] ,

Spark2k06 has been looking at the Spectrum core code and has seen that for the 512K ZX-Uno the maximum size of the .PZX files it could handle was 128K, while for the 2MB models the size increased to 1.5 MB.

He has synthesised a test core so that the 512K models can handle .PZX files up to 224K. I tested it with The Lyra II Megademo file, which occupies 204 KB and it worked until the end. With this demo you have to use the 128K EN rom, with Derby++ it works badly.

I'll leave the file here so you can try it thoroughly and let us know the results. If everything is OK, we will synthesize the final cores with this modification.

COREx_PZX_224KB.ZX1 (336 KB)