Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Re: New File Browser for ZX-UNO

Post by bob_fossil »

Some shameless self promotion on my part. :)

[media]https://youtu.be/vlvQ85_eCyU [/media]
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

What?!?!? :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D
You did it! YEAH! I can't tell you what joy I'm feeling to see my .mym files on your screen being played! :D :D :D
That's absolutely fantastic, Bob 8-)

I can't wait to -play- around with it ;) :D
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

New test version available here.

Symbol Shift + V will now view the selected file as text - text files can also be opened with the TXT plugin. You can now view hires C64 Art Studio and Interpaint files with the ART and IPH plugins (needs ULAPlus for correct colours) as well as listening to packed YM/PSG audio files with the MYM plugin.

The browser will now disable ULAPlus colours on entry and restore them on exit. A bug in the FAT code accessing the root cluster was also fxied. The 8 POKE limit has been removed from the POKE command.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Fantastic work, Bob! :D

Been listening to my collection of mym-s so easily now :D

At what address is the player-code loaded? The ones over 24k display "Out of memory".

Another observation: when playing a mym and pressing the down-arrow, it stops playing but jumps to the last entry in that folder, as if I've pressed the right-arrow, etc. When pressing right-or left-arrow, it plays the next/previous tune. It seems like the Up-Down & Left-Right keys are switched around.

To all: I'll try to compile a file with good mym files for all of your listening pleasure in the following days.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

XoRRoX wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:52 pm To all: I'll try to compile a file with good mym files for all of your listening pleasure in the following days.
Thanks for this.
I just wanted to ask, where can be found a collection of these mym/psg/ym files... :)
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Pegaz wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:44 pm Thanks for this.
I just wanted to ask, where can be found a collection of these mym/psg/ym files... :)
It isn't likely you'll find a collection of ready-to-play mym files. I've created a workflow with tools to convert them from ym files I gathered from several places.
But everything needs explaining. I'm busy writing an article with the history and which tools can be used and how to use them.

To get people started listening, I'll post some really good ones soon.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

As promised, here's the first compilation of mym files. They are files converted from YM files with tunes from the CPC and Atari ST.
I like a lot of them but was especially impressed with those of Count0 from the ST.

Let this be a first taster of what is possible and the start of your journey exploring music from other platforms, right on your Spectrum :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy2q95zq5uxgb ... 1.zip?dl=0

Note: looks like dropbox changed some things and the Download function is buried in the dot-menu at the right of the page.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

XoRRoX wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:52 pm Fantastic work, Bob! :D

Been listening to my collection of mym-s so easily now :D

At what address is the player-code loaded? The ones over 24k display "Out of memory".

Another observation: when playing a mym and pressing the down-arrow, it stops playing but jumps to the last entry in that folder, as if I've pressed the right-arrow, etc. When pressing right-or left-arrow, it plays the next/previous tune. It seems like the Up-Down & Left-Right keys are switched around.
From plugins/plugins_info.txt:

Code: Select all

MYM
---

Plays a MYM packed YM/PSG audio file. File must be less then 25614 bytes in length. Plugin supports the following keys:

Browser Left: Play next file
Browser Right: Play previous file
Browser Up: Play first file
Browser Down: Play last file
Break: Stop playback

In general, left and right cursors move you previous / next file and up / down takes you to the first / last file. This evolved from the the SCR plugin as this was the first to support file navigation and all the other plugins adopted this convention.

Plugins are loaded to address 32768. I tried to move the fragment buffer in the MYM code but this didn't end well and stopped the music playing properly. I think the code assumes the song data follows the fragment buffer.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Might it be more intuitive for the plugin keys to follow the browser keys for file navigation?

Although I know a bit of assembly, the player code is too complicated for me to completely understand.
As far as I understood (which could be incorrect) from the mym player's source it can either be located at 24576 or 32768? Are you managing to load it somewhere else?
And the topmost usable RAM is 65021 because of how IM2 is setup?
How much does the plugin use?

If possible, to be able to load as large as possible tunes, it would be nice to have as much mem free as possible for them.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

XoRRoX wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:49 pm
Although I know a bit of assembly, the player code is too complicated for me to completely understand.
As far as I understood (which could be incorrect) from the mym player's source it can either be located at 24576 or 32768? Are you managing to load it somewhere else?
And the topmost usable RAM is 65021 because of how IM2 is setup?
How much does the plugin use?

If possible, to be able to load as large as possible tunes, it would be nice to have as much mem free as possible for them.
The code can be put at 24576, however the browser plugin system puts code at 32768. It was easier to have the code at 32768 and get the plugin working that way. It may be possible in the future to relocate the player to just before the IM2 table but this makes the plugin code more complicated to develop. For the time being you'll just have to accept the size limitations.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Sure, I'm trying to understand how it all fits together in the process. So 65020-5376 (3*FRAG*REGS) buffer - some for the plugin code itself, correct?
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

XoRRoX wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:36 pm Sure, I'm trying to understand how it all fits together in the process. So 65020-5376 (3*FRAG*REGS) buffer - some for the plugin code itself, correct?
Current implementation is the code in plugins/src/mym.asm assembled to 32768. MYM binary is 6638 - most of that is the 3 * FRAG * REGS buffer. This puts 'rows' at 39406 which is where the .mym file is loaded to. 65020 onwards is used for the IM2 stuff, so 65020 - 39406 gives you the current maximum .mym file size of 25614 bytes.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Got it.

Again, fantastic work :)
tom-cat
Drutt

Post by tom-cat »

Great stuff there bob.
If anyone would like to look at the .art files (Art Studio on C64) on a standard ZX Spectrum without ULA Plus support then you can use this version:

http://pc.sux.org/tomcat/ArtStandardZX.zip

They don't look as perfect as witht he ULAPlus of course, but some do look ok :)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Post by PeterJ »

Thread title changed with the agreement of [mention]bob_fossil[/mention].
Jumulo
Drutt

Post by Jumulo »

Hello Bob

Good job, and awesome browser. Congratulations!

I'm working with a original zx spectrum+ 48k and a DivMMC future. I installed into the sd card your browser v0.15. I launch the browse using .browse in basic.

I've a problem with the browser. I run the browser and I can move into the directories but I can't execute any rom (.tap, .tzx, sna...etc ). I can even go tinto the configuration file and make changes...all this works fine... When I want to play some game/rom I push "Enter" or "space" over the file but nothing happens. I place on the rom and press enter but it doesn't run (the same rom runs ok with the DivMMC browser)

The steeps I followed for the browser installation were only these: unzip the file and copy the browser files to the my sd BIN/folder.

Is it possible that I have to do something else? Do I have to copy any more files?

Thanks for your help and best regards,
tom-cat
Drutt

Post by tom-cat »

Jumulo wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:52 am Is it possible that I have to do something else? Do I have to copy any more files?
You also need the BPLUGINS directory with all the plugins in the BIN dir !
Jumulo
Drutt

Post by Jumulo »

tom-cat wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:05 am
Jumulo wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:52 am Is it possible that I have to do something else? Do I have to copy any more files?
You also need the BPLUGINS directory with all the plugins in the BIN dir !
😬 Yes! Nice! You are true! Thanks 🙏 for your fast reply. Have a nice day.
Jumulo
Drutt

Post by Jumulo »

:ugeek:
Hi,
Now I can execute all type files using the browser except the .tzx files. The problem is mine for sure...but I don’t know which problem is...

No errors appears, simply does not execute them.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance
Pd: use real zx spectrum 48k with DivMMC future
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Jumulo wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:02 pm :ugeek:
Hi,
Now I can execute all type files using the browser except the .tzx files. The problem is mine for sure...but I don’t know which problem is...

No errors appears, simply does not execute them.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance
TZX files are not supported, use PZX instead.
tom-cat
Drutt

Post by tom-cat »

Pegaz wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:25 pm
Jumulo wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:02 pm
TZX files are not supported, use PZX instead.
Are you sure :) He says " use real zx spectrum 48k with DivMMC future" which means PZX is not supported...

PZX Plugin: "This plugin requires a ZX-UNO!"
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

tom-cat wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:45 pm
Pegaz wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:25 pm TZX files are not supported, use PZX instead.
Are you sure :) He says " use real zx spectrum 48k with DivMMC future" which means PZX is not supported...

PZX Plugin: "This plugin requires a ZX-UNO!"
Yes, thats why I said that the topic name shouldnt be changed. ;)
I was excited and gave the wrong advice, sorry for that.
The real answer is that tzx is not supported and the tap format should be used instead...
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I have been using this new browser with my DivMMC Enjoy and my Spectrums due to the long filename support.

Very nifty, but could anyone involved in it turn off that flashing bar and replace it with an INVERSE one, maybe?

It's not that I don't like FLASH (several of my own creations involve it someway or another in fact), but I find it too garish for that.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Alessandro wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:50 pm I have been using this new browser with my DivMMC Enjoy and my Spectrums due to the long filename support.

Very nifty, but could anyone involved in it turn off that flashing bar and replace it with an INVERSE one, maybe?

It's not that I don't like FLASH (several of my own creations involve it someway or another in fact), but I find it too garish for that.
Dear [mention]Alessandro[/mention]

if you change colour configuration by using .brswcfg the flashing is disabled.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Alessandro wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:50 pm I have been using this new browser with my DivMMC Enjoy and my Spectrums due to the long filename support.

When I made the changes to get the plugins to access the browser settings back in v0.15, it looks like I broke one of the default colour settings - I got my BRIGHT confused with my FLASH. This will be fixed in the next version. To fix this now, run the .brwscfg command from BASIC. In the config screen, press D to restore the correct defaults and then press S to save them. Or set your own colours if you wish.