Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
Chris23235
Microbot

Re: Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Post by Chris23235 »

Many thanks @bob_fossil and happy birthday LFN browser. In the last 2 years you and the Speccy became a lovely couple.
Rob M
Drutt

Post by Rob M »

Hi Bob! I'm using your long-filename file browser on my ZX Omni and it's really good. Thanks for this! :) The Omni has a built in DivMMC interface with 128K of additional memory. Almost all of the features are working for me (I think) except the cutting and pasting of files. When I try to cut or copy a file the system seems to not react at all, and when I come to try and paste the file, I press Symbol shift and P to paste, I get this error: "Error! Invalid Speed Dial id!" (see photo). Does anyone have any idea where I'm going wrong? I have tried with two different SD Cards that are properly formatted with the official SD Card formatting tool, rather than just doing with with Windows.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Chris23235 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:56 pm In the last 2 years you and the Speccy became a lovely couple.
I agree. The browser has rekindled my love of divMMC devices. We had been through a trial separation, but we are going to give it another go. Thank you @bob_fossil.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Rob M wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:28 pm Hi Bob! I'm using your long-filename file browser on my ZX Omni and it's really good. Thanks for this! :) The Omni has a built in DivMMC interface with 128K of additional memory. Almost all of the features are working for me (I think) except the cutting and pasting of files. When I try to cut or copy a file the system seems to not react at all, and when I come to try and paste the file, I press Symbol shift and P to paste, I get this error: "Error! Invalid Speed Dial id!" (see photo). Does anyone have any idea where I'm going wrong? I have tried with two different SD Cards that are properly formatted with the official SD Card formatting tool, rather than just doing with with Windows.
Clipboard was added in v0.22 but your screen shot says the browser is v0.21? Are you running v0.22 and did you copy all the files across onto your SD card?
Rob M
Drutt

Post by Rob M »

Thanks Bob, I thought I had downloaded the latest version from your site but I'll double check.
Rob M
Drutt

Post by Rob M »

Thanks again Bob, you were right! I've honestly got no idea how I ended up with the manual to 0.22 and the files to 0.21... Really can't think how that happened. I installed the files for 0.22 and cutting and pasting is working fine. :) This browser really is excellent, its features are really thoughtful and useful. Cheers!
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Rob M wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:28 pm Hi Bob! I'm using your long-filename file browser on my ZX Omni and it's really good. Thanks for this! :) The Omni has a built in DivMMC interface with 128K of additional memory. Almost all of the features are working for me (I think) except the cutting and pasting of files. When I try to cut or copy a file the system seems to not react at all, and when I come to try and paste the file, I press Symbol shift and P to paste, I get this error: "Error! Invalid Speed Dial id!" (see photo). Does anyone have any idea where I'm going wrong? I have tried with two different SD Cards that are properly formatted with the official SD Card formatting tool, rather than just doing with with Windows.
This is good to know. I ordered a ZX Omni and I'm looking forward to trying the LFN browser on it. If only it would eventually get here - it's been over a year since I ordered.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Thank You Bob for this great piece of software! I continue to use it but I'm a few versions behind. About to update it now...
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Happy Birthday!

I'm well out of the loop, but am very glad to see you're still working on it, @bob_fossil, and releasing new versions.

I've been using mostly MiSTer and a ZX 48k+tape deck up until very recently, and my DIVMMC on +2A was gathering dust. But now it's back as the main feature on my desk and I'd like to catch up a bit. My latest browser is v17 or thereabouts and when I had tried to upgrade to the latest I failed. I guess the problem is that my device is still on esxdos 0.8.8 (and it's not easy to update). Any chance you still have some older versions compatible with 0.8.8 (preferably the latest)?
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

akeley wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:04 am I guess the problem is that my device is still on esxdos 0.8.8 (and it's not easy to update). Any chance you still have some older versions compatible with 0.8.8 (preferably the latest)?
@akeley It´s working here under Fuse divMMC with esxDOS 0.8.8. Can you describe your problem with it?

akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Luzie wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:39 pm It´s working
It is indeed. Thanks for your post, it made me retrace my steps. Turns out I was copying the BIN and SYS directories fresh, instead of letting them overwrite the old ones. It's all good now.

While we're at it, two quick questions (aka feature requests ;)
-is it possible to "preview" a loading screen of a .tap game, or make it stay on screen for longer (ideally until a keypress)?
-would it be possible to designate a dedicated Snapshot directory? (atm they go into the current one)
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

akeley wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:29 pm -is it possible to "preview" a loading screen of a .tap game, or make it stay on screen for longer (ideally until a keypress)?
Symbol Shift + F will switch you into 'fullscreen' mode which tries to show loading screens from any .z80, .sna and .tap files in the current directory. Not all loading screens can be previewed as the screen may be compressed or part of the BASIC loader like Jet Set Willy.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Thank you, that sounds great. One more thing, I think in my old setup the browser would normally display the "last played" position in the directory, after I pressed the NMI from within a game. But now (after some messing about with my SD card, and installing 0.22) after NMI-ing from the game it always returns to the beginning of the directory. Any idea what I could do to fix it?
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

akeley wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:56 pm Thank you, that sounds great. One more thing, I think in my old setup the browser would normally display the "last played" position in the directory, after I pressed the NMI from within a game. But now (after some messing about with my SD card, and installing 0.22) after NMI-ing from the game it always returns to the beginning of the directory. Any idea what I could do to fix it?
Run .brwscfg, select the Misc category, turn 'Save last selection' on and then save and exit.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

bob_fossil wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:24 pm Run .brwscfg, select the Misc category, turn 'Save last selection' on and then save and exit.
Thanks, I 've tried that but I still get returned to the beginning of the directory.

The other on/off option in this submenu (to remember starting directory) works, but not always - it takes a few saves/reboots for it to register the on or off.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

bob_fossil wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:39 pm Symbol Shift + F will switch you into 'fullscreen' mode which tries to show loading screens from any .z80, .sna and .tap files in the current directory. Not all loading screens can be previewed as the screen may be compressed or part of the BASIC loader like Jet Set Willy.
@bob_fossil When I have this .Z80-Snapshot: http://www.tzxvault.org/Spectrum/Z80/Ma ... r-128k.zip in /TESTS/-directory and start this Full Screen-Mode and goto File /TESTS/Manic Miner - 128k.Z80 this displays the ManicMiner-Screen and completely hangs the Spectrum. Only with Hardreset you can get out as NMI is not working anymore. I tried under Fuse and SpecEmu.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Luzie wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:42 pm @bob_fossil When I have this .Z80-Snapshot: http://www.tzxvault.org/Spectrum/Z80/Ma ... r-128k.zip in /TESTS/-directory and start this Full Screen-Mode and goto File /TESTS/Manic Miner - 128k.Z80 this displays the ManicMiner-Screen and completely hangs the Spectrum. Only with Hardreset you can get out as NMI is not working anymore. I tried under Fuse and SpecEmu.
Thanks for the bug report. Fixed in the next test version.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

New test version available here.

This should fix the reported hang when showing specific .z80 files in the fullscreen preview mode (Symbol Shift + F). No new features as yet but I've made quite a few changes behind the scenes which hopefully haven't broken anything.
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

bob_fossil wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:02 pm New test version available here.

This should fix the reported hang when showing specific .z80 files in the fullscreen preview mode (Symbol Shift + F). No new features as yet but I've made quite a few changes behind the scenes which hopefully haven't broken anything.
Many thanks for the new version @bob_fossil! I get a 2 strange glitches with this version on my Omni. The sorting of the files is not like it was before, I have some folders in square brackets so that the will show up at the top [Folder]. With the test version these folders are at the bottom now. The second thing is that a file already deleted shows up again on the card and it can't be deleted (I get the message "The folder is not empty" even it is a single file. By reverting back to version 0.22 both glitches went away.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Chris23235 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:07 pm Many thanks for the new version @bob_fossil! I get a 2 strange glitches with this version on my Omni. The sorting of the files is not like it was before, I have some folders in square brackets so that the will show up at the top [Folder]. With the test version these folders are at the bottom now. The second thing is that a file already deleted shows up again on the card and it can't be deleted (I get the message "The folder is not empty" even it is a single file. By reverting back to version 0.22 both glitches went away.
Thanks for the feedback.

The square brackets ordering is a side effect of me recoding the sorting algorithm. Not sure yet if it's a bug as such or whether the new code is doing the right thing where the old code wasn't. I've tried deleting a couple of files in Fuse and it seems to work - I don't get any left behind files. Can you supply step-by-step details for what you're doing?
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

Hi @bob_fossil thanks for the quick reply. What I did was copying over the test files to my SD card minus the NoMMC folder. I was able to reverse this by copying the 0.22 files back, so I guess this in general works.

The file now showing up was deleted months ago from the card, I wrote to the card several times since then so I am not sure why it is popping up again when I use the new test files.

About the bracket sorting, I think files in square brackets should be at the top, at least this is how it is on other systems I know.
szerman
Drutt

Post by szerman »

The .browse command is really good bit of work. Long may it continue!!

Feature request: I would like to call it from basic, and have .browse pass a selection be passed to a vairable instead of
the selection being run.

For example

.browse -f z$ *.tap
print z$

Manic.tap
Ok.

Show tap files only
populate z$ with the file name user selects, print name or something like the above?

Also given the number of options you have in the browser, maybe add a CAP H to display the manual.txt in case you forget what key functions when using .browse in use etc?

Many kind thanks
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

In other news...

bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

New test version available here.

This should restore the file sorting order. There's also some more behind the scenes changes which again, hopefully hasn't broken anything else.
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

bob_fossil wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:51 pm New test version available here.

This should restore the file sorting order. There's also some more behind the scenes changes which again, hopefully hasn't broken anything else.
Sorting works again, many thanks. I still have the deleted file visible on my SD-Card. I just noticed that it is not a file but it is the Folder named BIN that the browser shows me with the filename of the deleted file. When I try to access the file the browser opens the folder BIN and here the path is correctly shown. Maybe it is some fault with the card, somethings not properly written in the past, but it goes away the moment I revert back to the last stable version.