Little bugs in the database 4

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Little bugs in the database 4

Post by PeterJ »

Hello,

I have had some more proposed fixes from Redek as follows:

1. Fairlight, 1985, The Edge (UK)
There are TAP and TZXs with wrong years.
TZX - The Edge (UK) - 1985 - Fairlight128.tzx. The year should be changed to 1986
TAP - The Edge (UK) - 1985 - Fairlight128.tap. The year should be changed to 1986
Look at the 128k review in SU #55 - 1986/10 or YS #10 - 1986/10.

TZX - The Micro Selection (UK) - 1985 - Fairlight(TheMicroSelection).tzx. The year should be changed to 1988
Look at the cassette inlay (also TZX header is 1988).

2. Out Run, 1987, U.S. Gold Ltd (UK)
There is TZX - Erbe Software - 1987 - OutRun(SmallCase)(ErbeSoftwareS.A.).tzx. The year should be changed to 1990
TZX header and cassette number are 1990.

3. Run Baby Run, 1983, Micro Gold (UK)
There are TAP and TZXs with wrong years.
TAP - Firebird Software Ltd (UK) - 1983 - RunBabyRun.tap. The year should be changed to 1984
TZX - Firebird Software Ltd (UK) - 1983 - RunBabyRun.tzx. The year should be changed to 1984
TZX - Firebird Software Ltd (UK) - 1983 - RunBabyRun_2.tzx. The year should be changed to 1984

The years are corrected against years in "Releases".

4. Trivial Pursuit: Baby Boomer Edition, 1986, Domark Ltd (UK)
There is a note in the Remarks "Add-on question pack for Trivial Pursuit"
It's true, but this game was also sold like standalone game.
You can look at the inlays, Where are two versions:
1. Uniload Question Pack (1 cassette - needs original Trivial Pursuit)
2. Standalone game (2 cassettes)

So, a new note should be yet added to the "Remarks" something like "Also sold like standalone game"

5. Trivial Pursuit: Young Players Edition, 1987, Domark Ltd (UK)
There is a note in the Remarks "Add-on question pack for Trivial Pursuit"
It's true, but this game was also sold like standalone game.
You can look at the inlays, Where are two versions:
1. Uniload Question Pack (1 cassette - needs original Trivial Pursuit)
2. Standalone game (2 cassettes)

So, a new note should be yet added to the "Remarks" something like "Also sold like standalone game"
✓ Reviewed
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:50 am River Raid:

https://www.spectrumcomputing.co.uk/ent ... River_Raid

According to the database:

Creators:Software Conversions Ltd (UK)
Authors according to SPOT/SPEX:Carol Shaw <Carol Shaw>

Carol Shaw was the original programmer for the Atari 2600 version.

The info displayed in the database seems confusing, as we might understand there's a discrepancy as to who was the author.

In my opinion, that SPOT/SPEX entry should be removed.
✓ Reviewed
Something similar to Sodov the Sorcerer:

The authors are, according to ZXDB, Software Conversions, Ltd.
Authors according to SPOT/SPEX:@ Tymac <Tymac (UK)>

But in the instructions, it says:

Originally a CBM game by TYMAC, conversion by Software Conversions Ltd.

So also here, the Spot/spex entry should be removed, as in River Raid.
✓ Reviewed
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:22 pm Something similar to Sodov the Sorcerer:

Perhaps TYMAC should be added to ZXDB under "original design/concept"?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Einar Saukas wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:36 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:22 pm Something similar to Sodov the Sorcerer:

The criterion used in River Raid, similar case, was adding the author of the original version under 'Authors', so this case should be the same, but 'original design/concept' seems better.

The problem is we'd open a 'Pandora's box', as there are hundreds of similar cases. The question is removing the spot/spex field where's possible, IMHO.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Cookie (ultimate):

In 'Game additional material' there's a part of a scan of the inlay, imported from old WoS, that is redundant, as it's already in the new, complete scan made by SC. It should be removed.

Besides, the inlay of the Interface 2 cartdridge is the same as the one called 'cassette inlay #2'. This last one is the proper I2 cartdridge scan, not a cassette scan, so the old WoS version should be removed and the SC scan should be labeled as cartdridge scan.
✓ Reviewed
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Something similar (duplicated I2 cartdridge scan) happens to Pssst , Jep Pac and Tranz Am.
✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Einar Saukas wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:36 pm
This is what I'm doing in this cases. I'm trying not to expend time researching authors that are not directly related to the ZX Spectrum, but if I see the original author mentioned (in the manuals for example) I add it as concept/design.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

The Trap Door
Strike Force Cobra

These are listed as being in the "Polskielogo" series, along with 20 other Polish programs. But they are not a series of games so shouldn't be listed like that.
✓ Reviewed
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

When this thread reaches 60 pages we will start Little Bugs 5
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Rogue Trooper (1986)

These 2 magazine refs:

Your Sinclair #50 - 1990/27 News/Note
C&VG (Computer & Video Games) #107 - 1990/10 103 Full-page ad - not a Spectrum advert

are for a different Rogue Trooper by Krisalis, which ended up being 16-bit only (Mobygames).
✓ Reviewed
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

StooB wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:37 pm The Trap Door
Strike Force Cobra

These are listed as being in the "Polskielogo" series, along with 20 other Polish programs. But they are not a series of games so shouldn't be listed like that.
This is tricky.

This is not a series of games, but a series of tapes. More precisely a sequence of tapes published in Poland, numbered from 1 to 22.

I don't like calling it "series" either, but how else could we represent this information? This is not a compilation since each tape was sold separately, so it was never a compilation.

I don't think there's a better option. I'm sure that's what Martijn thought when he decided to store it as a series in old WoS.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

StooB wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:51 pm Rogue Trooper (1986)

These 2 magazine refs:

Your Sinclair #50 - 1990/27 News/Note
C&VG (Computer & Video Games) #107 - 1990/10 103 Full-page ad - not a Spectrum advert

are for a different Rogue Trooper by Krisalis, which ended up being 16-bit only (Mobygames).
If Krisalis planned to release this game for the Spectrum but didn't, then we need a new entry for title marked as "never released", with these magazine references reassigned to it.
✓ Reviewed
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Einar Saukas wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:59 pm This is not a series of games, but a series of tapes. More precisely a sequence of tapes published in Poland, numbered from 1 to 22.
The Hit Squad series was numbered, but you wouldn't necessarily group them together in a game series. The fact that share a publisher and label is enough of a distinction. Is the Polish series similar?
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Einar Saukas wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:59 pm
StooB wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:37 pm The Trap Door
Strike Force Cobra

This is tricky.

This is not a series of games, but a series of tapes. More precisely a sequence of tapes published in Poland, numbered from 1 to 22.

I don't like calling it "series" either, but how else could we represent this information? This is not a compilation since each tape was sold separately, so it was never a compilation.

I don't think there's a better option. I'm sure that's what Martijn thought when he decided to store it as a series in old WoS.
Compared to this case:
Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:34 pm I mean, all these games are based on the Fighting Fantasy series of books. This is the reason these games are listed together under a group called Fighting Fantasy theme.

However they are not a series of games. For instance, the game The Forest of Doom is not supposed to be a sequel to the game The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, or vice-versa.
Test Inteligencji is not a sequel to The Trap Door. Consistent logic please!
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Airwolf (1985)

was released in 1984 after all - it was a new entry in the Gallup charts for the week ending 12th December 1984.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

8BitAG wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:30 pm The Hit Squad series was numbered, but you wouldn't necessarily group them together in a game series.
Good point! But...
8BitAG wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:30 pm The fact that share a publisher and label is enough of a distinction.
Not really. The first 16 games in this sequence were published by Krajowe Wydawnictwo Czasopism, the last 6 by Warszawskie Wydawnictwo Prasowe.

Perhaps [mention]Ralf[/mention] or someone else here knows if they are related or has any further information?
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Hi

* JUNGLE WARRIOR. During development this game was known as INKA. You can check this information here or if you understand Spanish in this interview from El Mundo del Spectrum Podcast (3x02) with its author Iñigo Ayo.

* RESCATE EN EL GOLFO. During development this game had two names: JUMBO and FIST OF STEEL. You can check this information here. Also, if you understand Spanish, Iñigo Ayo talks about JUMBO as the working title for this game on the EMS podcast linked above.

Thank you!
✓ Reviewed
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:34 pm I mean, all these games are based on the Fighting Fantasy series of books. This is the reason these games are listed together under a group called Fighting Fantasy theme.

However they are not a series of games. For instance, the game The Forest of Doom is not supposed to be a sequel to the game The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, or vice-versa.
By this argument the Fighting Fantasy series of books are not a series, either. The Citadel of Chaos book is not a sequel to the Warlock of Firetop Mountain book. The games are just as much a series as the books are.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Rorthron wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:46 pm By this argument the Fighting Fantasy series of books are not a series, either. The Citadel of Chaos book is not a sequel to the Warlock of Firetop Mountain book. The games are just as much a series as the books are.
OK, you guys had already convinced me that "Polskielogo" shouldn't be a series. :)

Now I'm just waiting to see if someone replies to my question about the relation between these publishers, so I can figure out the best way to make this change.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Mike Richardson commented that both Harrier Attack https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... ier_Attack and Scuba Dive https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... Scuba_Dive where initially developed from the Oric System by Ron Jeffs, and he did the conversion to the Spectrum. Ron pretty much can be added as "Design/Concept" and give him more credit for his work :)
✓ Reviewed
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

druellan wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:54 pm Mike Richardson commented that both Harrier Attack https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... ier_Attack and Scuba Dive https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... Scuba_Dive where initially developed from the Oric System by Ron Jeffs, and he did the conversion to the Spectrum. Ron pretty much can be added as "Design/Concept" and give him more credit for his work :)
Robert White, founder of Durell, should also be credited on Harrier Attack:
“The original Harrier Attack idea was Robert’s,” remembers Mike. “He thought that because of the Falklands War, the Harrier had been in the news a lot, and it would be a good idea to do a game based on that. Ron did the first version of the game for the Oric and I worked on the Spectrum version. It was a big help to have the Oric game as a guide as there was no decision-making to do along the way. There were no graphics or code sharing – I looked at what Ron had done, then went and did my own thing.”
Ron adds: “Robert explained his idea and it was quite primitive really. You basically took off in your plane and got shot at, and you shot back, and that was it.”
(from Retro Gamer 73)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

I think we should credit Ron Jeffs but not Robert White.

Robert's contribution was pretty much "a Harrier that shoots and they shoot back". This is only the choice of a theme, not a game design.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Einar Saukas wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:47 pm I think we should credit Ron Jeffs but not Robert White.

Robert's contribution was pretty much "a Harrier that shoots and they shoot back". This is only the choice of a theme, not a game design.
That's the 'Concept' part of 'Design/Concept'.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

StooB wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:28 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:47 pm I think we should credit Ron Jeffs but not Robert White.

That's the 'Concept' part of 'Design/Concept'.
I disagree. It's kinda like saying that every game submitted to this contest should credit the organizer for "design/concept" because he has chosen the theme "bike games".
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Marble Madness Deluxe Edition (1986)

The only review for this specific release is Your Sinclair's review in May 1987.
There is also a very clear "Copyright 1987, John F Cain" in the instructions. Also, Music by Consult Computer Systems, Cover artwork by Bill Scolding.
✓ Reviewed