JetPac RX

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
highrise
Microbot

JetPac RX

Post by highrise »

For those not on Facebook, here is a quick work in progress look at my latest coding attempt to ruin a thousand childhood memories.

Over the last few weeks I've been working on Michael Cook's excellent disassembly of JetPac. As with all these things, it started out with me simply wanting to learn by making a few mods, and then getting carried away with requests and suggestions.

Obviously, I won't be distributing this game. Instead I have gone through the rather painstaking task of adapting the disassembly to create a memory matched copy of the tape version. The updated version is then compared to this, and the modifications are converted into a POK file which works as a patch. In this way only the changes and additions I have made are distributed. The POK file can be applied using popular emulators such as FUSE or Spectaculator.

Additions include randomised levels, graphical tweaks and some basic particle effects. Plenty more to come but I'm being very careful to respect the original and just add a little makeup here and there to hide its age. The original will always be there.

Big thanks to Michael Cook for all his work in disassembling the code.

6 x

Morkin
Manic Miner

Re: JetPac RX

Post by Morkin »

Looks nice..!

I like the colourful/varied platforms. And that classic 'typically-space-retro-yet-futuristic' font suits it nicely.

Does it still run in 16K?
0 x

highrise
Microbot

Post by highrise »

Thanks - the font comes from Lunar Jetman, clearly the obvious choice. It definitely wont run in 16k now, though I doubt that is an issue for anyone.
1 x

Morkin
Manic Miner

Post by Morkin »

48K is perfectly fine for most people, but I thought I'd check in case you'd performed some code marvels..!
1 x

ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Lovely. How about seeing if you can get some vsync in there? Jetpac with no flicker would be lovely :)
0 x

highrise
Microbot

Post by highrise »

the vsynch is tricky because I can't distribute the code, only make a patch that fits over the original. But I'll see what I can do.
0 x

highrise
Microbot

Post by highrise »

Here is an update, running in contended memory. Not sure how I'm going to get the patch to do this but I'm convinced it's what needs to be done now, it just has to run there to be that bit smoother and more challenging.

1 x

BloodBaz
Berk

Post by BloodBaz »

JetPack RX looks fantastic. Great job there!

I spent many hours last year advancing the disassembly and annotation of Atic Atac but I'm in a quandry about the legalities of making the disassembly public domain. As you started with a disassembly of JetPac, can you advise me on if I should be allowed to push Atic Atak disassembly onto GitHub or similar?

Cheers,
BloodBaz
0 x

Freespirit
Dizzy

Post by Freespirit »

Great work, looking forward to seeing future updates.
0 x

Freespirit
Dizzy

Post by Freespirit »

BloodBaz wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:07 pm
JetPack RX looks fantastic. Great job there!

I spent many hours last year advancing the disassembly and annotation of Atic Atac but I'm in a quandry about the legalities of making the disassembly public domain. As you started with a disassembly of JetPac, can you advise me on if I should be allowed to push Atic Atak disassembly onto GitHub or similar?

Cheers,
BloodBaz
Interesting question. As the Jetpac disassembly hasn't been removed from this Forum, someone thinks it's ok. I'd be interested in Atic Atac as i've just started learning assembler, i could learn a lot from it. My first 2 games from WH Smiths randomly picked from the shelf were Manic Miner and Atic Atac. How lucky was that?!
0 x