Spectrum + Setup

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
PootisSpencer
Drutt

Spectrum + Setup

Post by PootisSpencer »

Hi
I hope someone here can help me with a Spectrum + that I bought recently. I have connected it up to on old TV vhs combo and I get the picture after tuning in to channel 36 but I get static sound all the time. I have tried fine tuning but still get the constant static sound. Am I missing something here? Also I have bought a USB C to 3.5mm jack to be able to plug into my phone and into the 'ear' port on the Spectrum to play .tap files using TeeZiX but all I get when playing the file is the sound coming out of my phone.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193465512005

Hope someone can help because I really want to get this working as it brings back so many memories. Thanks.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Re: Spectrum + Setup

Post by Guesser »

PootisSpencer wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:26 pm Am I missing something here?
Yep, the spectrum doesn't generate an audio subcarrier on the TV output, sound comes from an internal loudspeaker. Just mute the TV :)
PootisSpencer
Drutt

Post by PootisSpencer »

Oh right thanks. Just néed to sort the cable out then for my phone.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

The tape sockets on the spectrum are mono connectors and dont connect to the right contacts on a stereo jack. You'll some kind of stereo to mono splitter.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

The ZX Spectrum+ requires a 3.5mm mono jack plug for the ear socket. A two channel / stereo 3.5mm jack plug does not correctly align with the contacts on the mono socket in the ZX Spectrum+.

You may be able to find a stereo to 2 x mono adapter. The preference is to use the left audio channel when going to a mono device, but it does not normally matter if the source recording is mono.

The second problem that you are very likely to have, is a lack of volume. The ZX Spectrum+ requires a relatively high signal on it’s ear socket input. Unfortunately most modern devices are just not capable of producing the volume level needed. So try at full volume. If this does not work then you will need an audio power amplifier to boost the signal level. A set of cheap mains powered PC speakers with a headphone output socket is usually good enough. But you will also need the appropriate cable / jack adaptors as well...

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PootisSpencer
Drutt

Post by PootisSpencer »

1024MAK wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:03 am The ZX Spectrum+ requires a 3.5mm mono jack plug for the ear socket. A two channel / stereo 3.5mm jack plug does not correctly align with the contacts on the mono socket in the ZX Spectrum+.

You may be able to find a stereo to 2 x mono adapter. The preference is to use the left audio channel when going to a mono device, but it does not normally matter if the source recording is mono.

The second problem that you are very likely to have, is a lack of volume. The ZX Spectrum+ requires a relatively high signal on it’s ear socket input. Unfortunately most modern devices are just not capable of producing the volume level needed. So try at full volume. If this does not work then you will need an audio power amplifier to boost the signal level. A set of cheap mains powered PC speakers with a headphone output socket is usually good enough. But you will also need the appropriate cable / jack adaptors as well...

Mark
OK thanks for that. So would this work just to see if I can get enough volume or shall I just scrap this idea altogether and go for a MaxDuino/TZXDuino?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330670338272 < Adapter

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351177044332 < Splitter
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Go with this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351177044332 < Splitter
The trouble with the simple adapter, is most of these simply join the two channels together. But if the two channels don’t output exactly the same signal, they will fight one another. Which is not good for the audio output circuitry in the ‘phone.

Yes it is worthwhile giving it a go. Some ZX Spectrums are slightly more sensitive than others, and not all ‘phones are the same. So some combinations may work.

When loading, if you put your ear near the front right hand side of the computer, you should be able to hear the ‘tape’ sound. The border should start to flash colours slowly, then turn to horizontal moving stripes.

If this does not happen, the volume is wrong. Often too low.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PootisSpencer
Drutt

Post by PootisSpencer »

Thank you. I bought the splitter so will try that as soon as it comes in
PootisSpencer
Drutt

Post by PootisSpencer »

So I've tried the splitter and it still doesn't work. I have a feeling the cable I bought for my phone isn't working even though its for a Huawei. I have a P30 Pro which doesn't have a headphone jack. It uses the USB C connection for the charger and headphones which are confirmed to work. The reason I think it doesn't work is because it doesn't detect anything when the cable is connected and when I play the game in PlayZx the sounds comes out of the phone even when it's plugged into the Spectrum. I have also tried it on my partners P20 and still nothing.

This is the cable I bought. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193465512005

Would really appreciate any help with this.