Music references 3

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Music references 3

Post by Einar Saukas »

All information from Music references and Music references 2 was added to ZXDB except for Corona Capers (because this game is not in ZXDB yet) and High Noon (because we don't know which one).

I'm repeating this information here so it won't be forgotten:
????|Corona Capers|Includes the following music: John Philip Sousa, "Liberty Bell March", "The Washington Post" and "Stars And Stripes Forever"; John Stafford Smith, "The Star-Spangled Banner", national anthem of the United States of America; Nie Er, "March of the Volunteers", national anthem of the People's Republic of China; Iron Maiden, "Virus"; John Kander, "Theme from New York, New York"
????|High Noon|Includes the following music: Chopin, Piano Sonata No. 2 in B-flat minor op. 35, III. Lento "Funeral March" [when a gunfighter is killed]
We also need to check this information.
Stu
Manic Miner

Re: Music references 3

Post by Stu »

With reference to this post, the (hidden but easily accessed) music in Chain Reaction is a cover of Zoolook by Jean-Michel Jarre.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Stu wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:16 pm With reference to this post, the (hidden but easily accessed) music in Chain Reaction is a cover of Zoolook by Jean-Michel Jarre.
Something like this might work:

876|Chain Reaction|Includes the following music: Jean-Michel Jarre, "Zoolook" [inaccessible without a bug patch]
✓ Reviewed
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

694|Brian Bloodaxe|Includes the following music: John Philip Sousa, "Liberty Bell March"
✓ Reviewed
Stu
Manic Miner

Post by Stu »

Rorthron wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:39 pm
Stu wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:16 pm With reference to this post, the (hidden but easily accessed) music in Chain Reaction is a cover of Zoolook by Jean-Michel Jarre.
Something like this might work:

876|Chain Reaction|Includes the following music: Jean-Michel Jarre, "Zoolook" [inaccessible without a bug patch]
Yeah sounds good, although possibly just "[inaccessible without a patch]" since its removal seems to be deliberate.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Before we get onto Music References 4...

The very recent RZX of Worse Things Happen At Sea reveals a music reference: The Sailor's Hornpipe.
✓ Reviewed
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Magic Knight
Drutt

Post by Magic Knight »

One more before moving on:
The music for the Japan stage of Tour de Force is Turning Japanese by The Vapors.
✓ Reviewed
Stu
Manic Miner

Post by Stu »

Herbert's Dummy Run

The title music is Baby Face by Harry Akst and Benny Davis.
✓ Reviewed
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I'm not good at these things but I guess I can contribute something too:

A Polish game Smok Wawelski
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/6 ... k_Wawelski

features at the beginning "Rondo Alla Turca" by Mozart
✓ Reviewed
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

This is good - the thread's still open. So now...
Morkin wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:26 pm ...Now please excuse me while I fetch some tissues to mop up the blood pouring from my ears after listening to the menu tune... :?
smurphboy wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:57 pm It makes me want to cry, or at least mute it
The offensive tunes in question are from Santa's Christmas Capers, which feature the following Christmas carols with some oddly-flattened notes that were obviously not the product of anyone with musical knowledge:

- We Wish You A Merry Christmas (title tune)
- Silent Night (end of stage 1)
- Good King Wenceslas (end of stage 2)
- We Three Kings (end of stage 3 - the ropiest of the lot)
✓ Reviewed
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Some more tunes in games:

Tapper:
'Buffalo Gals'; Stephen Foster, 'Oh! Susanna'

Head over Heels:
'Greensleeves'

Black Hawk:
Richard Wagner, Die Walküre WWV 86B, I. 3. "Ride of the Valkyries"

Moon Alert:
Richard Wagner, Die Walküre WWV 86B, I. 3. "Ride of the Valkyries"
✓ Reviewed
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Moon Alert additional music reference: The Raiders March (The Indiana Jones Theme) [on completion]
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Tapper level 3 (space port) has music in the style of the Star Wars Cantina scene with a few duff notes
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

MatGubbins wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:07 pm Tapper level 3 (space port) has music in the style of the Star Wars Cantina scene with a few duff notes
Haha, nice! Although I'm not sure if the rat farts Tapper is shoving out of the beeper can be considered music. ;-)
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Project Future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU9DZq300Y4

Grabs a riff from the original Battlestar Galactica theme music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzyHxYxc-Mo
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

The Moontorc title music sounds very much like Scarborough Fair.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Re: Time Sniper

Post by TMD2003 »

While we're on the subject of identifying classical pieces, this one has been bugging me for north of 40 years, and Morning Mood reminded me of it.

It's from the one episode of Bod that I actually remember from (almost) first time round (which was 1975, but it was repeated when I was still at nursery). Someone helpfully shoved the entire collection on ThemTube. Identify it before it gets taken down.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

It's Rossini's William Tell Overture
https://youtu.be/z7Tj2SzToHI?feature=shared&t=362
OK I cheated, I remembered that the same music was used for The Day of the Tentacle's intro so I searched a video of it on YouTube and browsed the comments.

Meanwhile I remembered that also Sabre Wulf featured Bach's Prelude in C for a Well Tempered Clavier Book 1.

But I think we're going a bit off topic here :) maybe we should open another thread?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Oloturia wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:22 am It's Rossini's William Tell Overture
https://youtu.be/z7Tj2SzToHI?feature=shared&t=362
OK I cheated, I remembered that the same music was used for The Day of the Tentacle's intro so I searched a video of it on YouTube and browsed the comments.

Meanwhile I remembered that also Sabre Wulf featured Bach's Prelude in C for a Well Tempered Clavier Book 1.

But I think we're going a bit off topic here :) maybe we should open another thread?
Posts moved to musical references. Sabre Wulf is already there, go to the game page and scroll down to 'music references ' to see :-)
✓ PROCESSED