ZX HSC Round 1 - Bomb Jack / Penetrator

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Freespirit
Microbot

Re: ZX HSC Round 1 - Bomb Jack / Penetrator

Post by Freespirit »

Bomb Jack - 219760

I think i'm reaching my limit now.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

BombJack 210,700

I've started keeping the screenshots as I'm probably going to plateau soon too.
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

Well, a quick game during breakfast and i doubled my previous (i will never beat it) score :shock: . Good start to the day :D

Bomb Jack - 479,650

From 40k to 400k i'm more than happy with that. I'll leave this as my highscore.

Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Bomb Jack has never been my favorite game and that hasn't changed.
I just couldn't find the motivation and I quickly got bored as always before.
Penetrator is much more challenging, very difficult, especially the third level, but it was worth playing.
If we consider the year of release, the impression is even better.
My score is not significant, but I am still satisfied, because I played these two games seriously for the first time. :)

Bomb Jack: 57570

Penetrator: 10600
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

Current scores:

Bomb Jack - 1,423,260 (unchanged)
Penetrator - 27,100

I'm chuffed that I "completed" Penetrator, in that I did all the stages forwards and backwards. Lost my last 2 lives on stage 3 the second time around... :roll:

Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

Mousey wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:30 pm Current scores:

Penetrator - 27,100

I'm chuffed that I "completed" Penetrator, in that I did all the stages forwards and backwards. Lost my last 2 lives on stage 3 the second time around... :roll:

Nice one Mousey, a feat i can only dream about :cry:
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I don't find the green stages of Penetrator that difficult to be honest. Once you learn how to move and memorize it, they are pretty straightforward, even taking the sadistic controls into account.

That damned pit in the red stage is another matter altogether. On a game I arrived there with all of my lives, only to lose all of them trying to drop the freaking bombs there. It's harder than wiping your ass with a stamp while wearing boxing gloves.

That said, I managed to reach a respectable score of 27,740.

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I almost reached the 20,000 barrier: 19,880.

Bomb Jack: 85,130
Penetrator: 19,880
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

Finally completed level 5. Tough game. Took me to my limits. That's me done and happy. :)

Penetrator - 12170

Daren
Manic Miner

Post by Daren »

Alessandro wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:48 pm It's harder than wiping your ass with a stamp while wearing boxing gloves.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Penetrator - 31870

Been getting better and knew I had one decent game in me. Not sure I'm going to top that!
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Alessandro wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:48 pm I don't find the green stages of Penetrator that difficult to be honest. Once you learn how to move and memorize it, they are pretty straightforward, even taking the sadistic controls into account.

That damned pit in the red stage is another matter altogether. On a game I arrived there with all of my lives, only to lose all of them trying to drop the freaking bombs there. It's harder than wiping your ass with a stamp while wearing boxing gloves.
Agh, I was ok at the red stage and now I've lost the knack completely! Before that it was the cyan stage that did me in. Those bloody heads - I either crash into them or I get distracted trying to shoot them and get hit by a missile. Not sure I have the temperament for such games... My Ram Delta joystick met an abrupt end playing Hewson's Slayer on the Amiga, and I'd rather my MacBook didn't suffer the same fate!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Bomb Jack: 377340

I'm beginning to get the hang of this. The bomb patterns, the risk areas, and 'flying' with Jack. I wish there was a quit button—I'm sick of dropping all my lives when I don't get a perfect start.
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:06 pm Bomb Jack: 377340

I'm beginning to get the hang of this. The bomb patterns, the risk areas, and 'flying' with Jack. I wish there was a quit button—I'm sick of dropping all my lives when I don't get a perfect start.
You are getting close to my score, I think you need to rest now, don’t burn yourself out. :lol:
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

I could pass the 20,00 barrier -at last- after some attempts:

Bomb Jack - 85,130
Penetrator - 24,610
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

akeley wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:19 am [...] perhaps one week would be a better idea?
With the experience of all these days, I think one week is enough, what do you think?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:37 pm
akeley wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:19 am [...] perhaps one week would be a better idea?
With the experience of all these days, I think one week is enough, what do you think?
I'm happy to go with the flow, but I'll struggle to find time to give two games a proper try in one week. I suppose we could drop to one game, but the choice of two might be good for people in case one of them is crap (or rather, one is not to another specchum's taste).

EDIT - hang on I'm being stupid there, one game a week is kind of the same as two in two weeks. Feels different somehow.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

akeley wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:38 pm So, @PeterJ, don't worry about posting your scores, mine is also abysmal (~3000 :)... so just do it :)
It could also encourage some other lurkers, I'm sure there other score-shy folks out there.
This.

Really [mention]PeterJ[/mention], don't be afraid to post a score, whatever it is. It will encourage others to join in, and this is just a bit of fun. It's about taking part, not winning.

Remember:

Your strength doesn't come from winning. It comes from struggles and hardship. Everything that you go through prepares you for the next level.

Also, if you post some rubbish scores, I'll feel better about my middle of the table ones, and I'll be able to make fun of you.
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

Current scores:

Penetrator - 37,070

Managed to get to stage 5 twice! I had two lives and lost one missing the explosives (as usual) but got it with my last life, and was pleased that the bonus increases (2,000 second time around). Then I died on my way back by hitting a skull.

95% of my lives are lost on stage 3 (normally by not being able to dodge a rocket without hitting a wall), stage 5 (missing the explosives) or by hitting a skull (usually it's actually by moving right slightly instead of firing that kills me). I'm not complaining though, without these things the game would be too easy and not the nerve-fest that it is! Even the awkward controls add to the tension.

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:54 pm

Really @PeterJ, don't be afraid to post a score, whatever it is. It will encourage others to join in, and this is just a bit of fun. It's about taking part, not winning.

Also, if you post some rubbish scores, I'll feel better about my middle of the table ones, and I'll be able to make fun of you.
Currently just over 20,000 on Bomb Jack.

If only you could define your own keys...
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

This weekend I tried to improve my Bomb Jack score but only marginally improved it. My reflexes obviously are not the same as 10 years ago, and although I wanted to reach the 2 million score barrier, I only managed to reach 1,694,590 points after many, many tries and countless very stupid errors.

akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:37 pm With the experience of all these days, I think one week is enough, what do you think?
I'm still mulling this over and it's an open option. Indeed, it was a very intense week, probably the busiest I've ever seen in a HSC...which is a good sign :)
But, folks are still playing, so... On the other hand, these were two pretty good games, with lots of room for improvement. Other ones might be not as much fun and the players will burn out sooner. We'll see.

Here's a remedy idea of sorts: a wild extra game appears mid-week !!!1! Let's keep you on your toes, eh?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: In fact, why don't we test-ride this idea NOW :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

!!!!! BONUS GAME: Nohzdyve !!!!!

Download: https://tuckersoft.net/ealing20541/nohzdyve/

Hell, why not. It's simple enough, so it can give you a bit of a breather after getting frustrated with trying to max out the already maxed out scores on BJ & P.

Same rules apply. And of course you can still work on Bomb Jack and Penetrator.

Heads-up: [mention]R-Tape[/mention] ,[mention]Alessandro[/mention] ,[mention]smurphboy[/mention] ,[mention]Daren[/mention] ,[mention]Morkin[/mention] ,[mention]Juan F. Ramirez[/mention] ,[mention]Mousey[/mention] ,[mention]clebin[/mention], [mention]Freespirit[/mention] ,[mention]GreenCard[/mention] ,[mention]RuySan[/mention] ,[mention]PeterJ[/mention] ,@ anybody else who fancies joining....
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

I'll set a target then (a low one...)

Nohzdvye: 460

Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

Go on then. Never played this before either, but am aware of it due to Bandersnatch (which I loved).

Nohzdyve: 610

My first go I literally scored zero as I was dodging everything including the balloons! Who reads instructions, eh? :lol:
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Mousey wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:33 pm My first go I literally scored zero as I was dodging everything including the balloons! Who reads instructions, eh? :lol:
I did the same!