ZX HSC Round 2 - Cannonball / PSSST / Flappy Bird ZX

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Re: ZX HSC Round 2 - Cannonball / PSSST / Flappy Bird ZX

Post by akeley »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:11 pm As to Cannonball, I don't know if the scores we got in its own thread ('The Cannonball Challenge' count...
Nope, sorry. Need to start from scratch ;)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

akeley wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:16 am
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:11 pm As to Cannonball, I don't know if the scores we got in its own thread ('The Cannonball Challenge' count...
Nope, sorry. Need to start from scratch ;)
Oh nooooo!
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

Current FlappyBirdZX score: 60
Cannonball score: 555

Cannonball is ridiculous. That is all.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

clebin wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:46 pm Cannonball - 3590
That's a monster score... I doubt I'm going to get close to that. It looks as if [mention]Mousey[/mention] is correct - although I didn't notice at first, it does seem to get faster each time you clear a screen, and Muy Dificil level is fast enough on level 1..!

I can occasionally get to the third screen but it just gets too fast at that point... The twitch response is just too... twitchy..! :lol:

[EDIT: Gave it one more try after posting this and managed 3,435. Seems you get an extra life after completing screen 3... :o ]
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Morkin wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:15 pm
clebin wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:46 pm Cannonball - 3590
That's a monster score... I doubt I'm going to get close to that...
[EDIT: Gave it one more try after posting this and managed 3,435. Seems you get an extra life after completing screen 3... :o ]
Haha, pretty close after all! Yep, you get that extra life but I don't find it goes very far... by that point the car is going so fast it's like watching the spokes in a wheel.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I won't touch Cannonball anymore, playing it is as pleasant and fun as having my teeth smashed with a sledgehammer. And I thought Nozhdyve was bad!

I'll try to improve my scores on Flappy Birds, although reaching 100 points, let alone 130, would require way more patience than I can bear, and Pssst!.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Flappy Bird: 20 points!!!

I'm starting to get the knack of it! :mrgreen:
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

I must admit, I've actually found myself playing FlappyBird more than Pssst! It's quite addictive once you get the hang of it. :D
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

Cannonball: 2220 - I really enjoy this, such a challenge!
FlappyBird: 68 - I got to the key change in the tune :D

akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Flappy Bird ZX - 35
Cannonball - 855
PSSST - 33,630

Question to people androids who go over 1000pts in Cannonball: When you eventually rise against your human overlords, will you spare your ZX-chums? Asking for a friend 8-)

Flappy Bird makes me physically sick, there's just some hidden vibration in this game which tangles up my brainwaves. Can't do it. Also it's totally unfair: first I died like 20 times in a row with 3-4 points, then did the 35 - all because of a nice'n easy pipe alignment.

Thank god for PSSST, oasis of sanity in this round :)
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

akeley wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:54 pm Flappy Bird makes me physically sick, there's just some hidden vibration in this game which tangles up my brainwaves. Can't do it. Also it's totally unfair: first I died like 20 times in a row with 3-4 points, then did the 35 - all because of a nice'n easy pipe alignment.
There is a microstutter each pipe that I can see but doesn't bother me that much. I can understand if you are sensitive to these things that it might drive you up the wall!
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

Current scores:

Cannonball - 1,525 (unchanged)
Flappy Bird ZX - 74
PSSST - 176,545

PSSST is like a refreshing breeze compared to the stress of the other two! I had 3 lives left at over 150,000 and then lost 2 in quick succession, followed shortly afterwards by my plant getting eaten! Grr.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Mid-week scores: Flappy - PSSST - Cannonball

Image Image Image

Giz a shout if you spot any mistakes.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Cannonball - 3590
Flappy Bird - 161 (new)
Pssst! 56530 (new)
Morkin wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:08 amJust to say that any submitted emulator screenshots from any of you must be backed up with a photo of an original owned game, or I'm reporting the lot of you to F.A.C.T. :mrgreen:
F.A.C.T you! :lol:

Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Against all my better judgement, I thought I'd give Flappy Bird another go.

Flappy Bird - 27 (new!)
Cannonball - 3,435 (no change)
Pssst! - (Yet to play)
clebin wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:37 pm
Morkin wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:08 amJust to say that any submitted emulator screenshots from any of you must be backed up with a photo of an original owned game, or I'm reporting the lot of you to F.A.C.T. :mrgreen:
F.A.C.T you! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

[mention]akeley[/mention] : I got 7,570 in Pssst.

EDIT: maybe it's because I forgot to post the pic:

smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

I've mislaid my cartridge packaging :lol:

Pssst: 30445

Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

Current scores:

Cannonball - 1,715 (new)
Flappy Bird ZX - 74 (unchanged)
PSSST - 334,605 (new - this will be my final score, see below)

I'm hoping this doesn't come across as arrogant, because I'm as surprised about it as anyone else, but I seem to have "mastered" PSSST. My score of 334,605 is with 4 lives left. I just was so bored of playing (I think I had been going for around 3 hours!) that I decided the next flower I did I would take a screenshot while the tune was playing and call it a day. While getting that score I did lose the odd life... but never more than 1 per cycle, so I kept getting it back!

Oh and not at any time did I "cheese" a level - my aim was to grow the flower and move on. The only time I didn't actively defend the flower was when I was after a bonus. If someone else can endure the tedium and beat my score then fair play to them! I just couldn't go on; PSSST is ruined for me now!

akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

I must admit I was getting a bit bored with PSSST at 35K level...to see that you've persevered to 350K, man, that's dedication :)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I simply don't have the time nor the patience to beat that score on Pssst!. Congratulations Mousey.

After knowing that smurphboy beat my score on Cannonball for just 10 points, I resolved to play it once more. Hence a new score of 3220. The game is hardly playable as it is on difficulty 1, but from the fourth screen on it becomes completely unplayable. I'd have more fun licking hot coals.

And then there is this score of 241 on Flappy Bird ZX. Don't ask me how I managed to do it.

Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

Alessandro wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:38 pmAfter knowing that smurphboy beat my score on Cannonball for just 10 points, I resolved to play it once more. Hence a new score of 3220. The game is hardly playable as it is on difficulty 1, but from the fourth screen on it becomes completely unplayable.
I find it wonderfully apposite that smurphboy beat your score by 10 points... so you beat his score by 1000 points! :lol:

I guess I was right then, that the speed increases a bit each level? I've never got to level 3 (let alone 4), so can only imagine how insane that is.

[EDIT: To clarify, I'm not mocking your score smurphboy - you did better than me - it's just the 10 then 1000 point difference amused me!]
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

Just going to have to get back on it...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PSSST 23185

This is another incredibly famous game that I'm only now playing properly for the first time. Typical of the early Ultimates, it has the terrible QWERT keys. After an aborted attempt to hack QAOP into it, I've been playing using cursor keys in Spectaculator. It's a decent enough game, but I can't seem to get on top of things when the wasps appear.

I thought I could have grabbed the top spot for Nohzdyve (damn you again Grussu!), but I'm not sure I'll beat the Flappy Bird scores here.

Bit of catching up to do here.
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

I used QAOP through ZXspin. I only played one game. :lol: I was thinking while playing who pitched a growing plant and insects idea and a game shooting ingredients into a bowl and thought it would be a winner. I guess you can make anything good with the right team.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Unfortunately Alessandro, Mousey & Freespirit have quit the compo over the rules misunderstanding/disagreement. Alessandro has asked for his scores to be removed, not sure about Mousey and Freespirit but I suppose as well, so this changes the board a little bit.