Announcing our new scoring system

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Re: Announcing our new scoring system

Post by Ersh »

There seem to be something wrong with the vote count on the rating page. For an example; Skool Daze lists 60 votes when in reality it's got 10. Doesn't seem to affect every entry though.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Fun thing is, because of the relatively low number of participants so far, you can watch your votes make real difference.

I just went on a little spree, and presto, Laser Squad* is now #2, and few others also climbed up to more respectable positions.

*Cue backlash from the "Rebelstar is better" posse 8-)
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

akeley wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:14 pm Fun thing is, because of the relatively low number of participants so far, you can watch your votes make real difference.

I just went on a little spree, and presto, Laser Squad* is now #2, and few others also climbed up to more respectable positions.

*Cue backlash from the "Rebelstar is better" posse 8-)
Whilst I prefer Rebelstar, I wouldn't say that it's better. I just prefer the mechanics of it.
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

I just voted for Carrier Command (giving it a 10, obv). It said I was the first, and currently says I'm the only person, but the table says it has 2 votes. (Not a big issue, but thought I'd mention it).

Edit: I see some other people have mentioned a similar problem. Ignore me.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks for the bug report. It started when we added the filters. The scores are still accurate.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]p13z[/mention] and [mention]SteveSmith[/mention]

Should now be sorted.

Peter
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

OK, own up - who's gone and cast a vote for Maritrini...? :lol: :lol:

My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
kolbeck
Manic Miner

Post by kolbeck »

Turrican wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:04 pm Great!!
When @kolbeck implements It in the API I Will add It into the Zx App.

:)
If there is any way I can integrate into this, I would be happy to look further into this. [mention]PeterJ[/mention] ?

/Thomas
https://api.zxinfo.dk/v3/ - ZXDB API for developers
zxinfo-file-browser - Cross platform app to manage your files
https://zxinfo.dk - another ZXDB frontend
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I've not gone through the 14 pages on this post, but I just wondered if these scores will be added to the advanced search capability? For example I might want to search for text Adventures from 1986 with scores >6.5

Also, will there be a Top 100 Voted Games on the Spectrum Computing site?
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Morkin wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:02 pm OK, own up - who's gone and cast a vote for Maritrini...? :lol: :lol:
eww... worse thing is it breaks genre column, it must have fixed width to fit any genre name in one line
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

stupidget wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:18 am Also, will there be a Top 100 Voted Games on the Spectrum Computing site?
Top and bottom 100 is on my signature.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Lethargeek wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:21 am
Morkin wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:02 pm OK, own up - who's gone and cast a vote for Maritrini...? :lol: :lol:
eww... worse thing is it breaks genre column, it must have fixed width to fit any genre name in one line
When we have spare time we will restrict the field length of title to 100 characters but it's not on my urgent list. It is a rather extreme example :D
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

kolbeck wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:02 am
Turrican wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:04 pm Great!!
When @kolbeck implements It in the API I Will add It into the Zx App.

:)
If there is any way I can integrate into this, I would be happy to look further into this. @PeterJ ?

/Thomas
Hi [mention]kolbeck[/mention]. I will email you over the weekend. Please feel free to remind me if I forget.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

"The All Ratings With Filters" one is really cool, has great flexibility. Once again, thanks to everybody involved.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:55 am
Lethargeek wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:21 am eww... worse thing is it breaks genre column, it must have fixed width to fit any genre name in one line
When we have spare time we will restrict the field length of title to 100 characters but it's not on my urgent list. It is a rather extreme example :D
i meant title might take several lines, it's ok, but genre taking more than one line looks ugly
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]Lethargeek[/mention],

Yes, it's all due to that long title. If you filter the minimum votes to 10 then you will see Genre goes back to one line. It's just the way the browser formats the page. Once we cut the length of the title field it will sort it.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:30 pm Hi @Lethargeek,

Yes, it's all due to that long title. If you filter the minimum votes to 10 then you will see Genre goes back to one line. It's just the way the browser formats the page. Once we cut the length of the title field it will sort it.
meanwhile try this in the html source:

Code: Select all

<b>GENRE________________________</b>
or (braille pattern blank)

<b>GENRE⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀</b>
8-)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Yes, but then the other columns get squeezed.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:02 pm Yes, but then the other columns get squeezed.
in my case, only the title column got squeezed as it was the widest
but i see you already fixed it the other way
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]Lethargeek[/mention],

Yes, reduced Position to Pos and ZXDB ID to ID, and did a left (50) on the title. A few of the longer genres still spill over, but have now done what I'm going to to.

Thanks for reporting it.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Morkin wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:17 pm
voxeltower wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:05 pm I have just implemented several filters for the web, now you can define the minimum votes, range of years, and select genres to show.

I've passed it on to Peter for him to post if he likes.

Thank you for feedback mates.

EDIT: Peter has already seen it, it is already published. Enjoy.
This is great, am quite enjoying looking at the top # scores by year..
Super cool feature and very flexible. :P Thank You [mention]voxeltower[/mention] and [mention]PeterJ[/mention]
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

...Just wondering whether there are still plans to put the rating page on the site somewhere (save us having to to bookmark it)? The 'Scores' section on the home page seems logical?

Even with a relatively small number of votes, it's already looking a million times more 'authentic' than the crazy 'overall magazine scores'.. :lol:

I was initially a bit sceptical about the number of votes many games would get as it was a members-only vote, but lots of people got voting and I think it turned out pretty well so far.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]Morkin[/mention],

Thanks for the reminder.

Yes, I will find a more permanent home than my footer.

Peter
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] has kindly added a tabular display of in-game screens option for viewing the top and worst games as voted by you.

Be warned, this is slow and may take up to 30 seconds to appear. A lot of processing is happening. There are still a few things being ironed out.

The number of votes and the score is shown for each game. You can click on the hyperlink to get to the game page.

Best games:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/list?mi ... =5&order=b

Worst games:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/list?mi ... =5&order=w

Einar implemented new search parameters "min_votes", "min_score", "max_score", and "order". You can edit the URL to how you want it.

The order can be "b" (ordered by best score), "w" ( ordered by worst score).

For example:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/list?min_votes=10&min_score=8&genre=Game&mode=5&order=b&yearfrom=1990&yearto=1995
Provides you with, minimum votes = 10, minimum score =8 and order is best score first. n=mode 4 is loading screens and mode 5 is running screens. year from and year to have been added as well in the above example.

I will add these links to the user scores page.

Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

[mention]PeterJ[/mention], a suggestion about the ratings list interface. Current filter settings are kinda cumbersome, inconvenient and inflexible. I propose to replace it with just one RESET button, one three-way switch SHOW: MARKED/UNMARKED/ALL and the ability to mark the entries.

For example, if you click on the Genre cell for a game, all the cells with the same genre text for the whole column will be marked (and if SHOW switch mode is UNMARKED then all these entries will be immediately hidden; same about unmarking in MARKED mode). Same about clicking cells in Rating, Votes and Year columns. RESET button will remove all the markings.

Clicking cells in Pos, Title and ID columns will still open game page in the database as it is now.

Also i think maybe it's better to move ID column after or before the Pos so it won't distract and won't split the markable columns.

Not sure if it's easy to implement though.