Robocod?

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Robocod?

Post by Lee Bee »

I love Robocod. In fact, it was the game which tempted me to get an Amiga! :oops: :?

I just made this bit of in-game music, and hastily threw together this cover image in about 5 minutes:

Now all we need is someone to make the entire game! LOL

Seriously though, if you're converting any game and need some music copying, I'm here! :)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: Robocod?

Post by Morkin »

Nice work.. :)

Quite enjoyed Robocod on the Miggy, though I wasn't great at platform games so didn't get too far. Would be nice to see a Speccy version though.

(Just to be clear, no, I'm not volunteering to write one :P )
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

The music sounds good!

We have Turrican for the Spectrum, so a large open level is certainly possible. But I think it would suffer from slow scrolling and unresponsive controls.
Perhaps a flip screen adaptation with smaller graphics (everything scaled down a bit) would work better.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Since you mention it... I've gone back to this Flash game Amazonia from time to time over the years, and Flash will very soon be disappearing. You'll need to enable flash on the site to run it

https://zone.msn.com/gameplayer/gamepla ... ce=default

The music is a big part of the game, quite New Age and soothing, I think the 128K Spectrum could make a decent rendition. Graphically I reckon it's possible to fit on a Spectrum screen, with the jewels on alternate attr squares and the surrounding squares used to depict chains / and or the orbiting specks that indicate you have turned a jewel into a bomb.

This is a kind of demo for a full PC game, though strangely I found this version more compelling than the PC version. That said, it's easy to complete the 15 levels of the Flash version. And the objective of the game really should be better, say remove all the chains in so many moves.

I took screenshots of the 15 levels and should record the music also. It would be the next project after the game I'm working on now, so it could be some time. Unless someone else wants to have a go

There's another hexagonal match 3 I've been playing far too much of for the past year, Hexa Blast on my Android phone, based on the same principle, swap adjacent colours to make line of 3. I've now finally completed all 3150 levels of Hexa Blast, and I could mix and match some of the features a bit when recreating Amazonia. Hexa Blast slowly introduces and then mixes a lot of different elements, meaning that different levels can present a very different challenge.
Definition of loop : see loop
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Turtle_Quality wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:25 pm Amazonia
Turtle_Quality wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:25 pm Hexa Blast
Ooh, I love puzzle games, especially hexagonal ones - one of my top-three favourite arcade games is Puzzle Bobble. In fact, I once made a clone of it on the Amiga! (I'm not really a coder, so that was my most ambitious programming venture ever and I found it thoroughly difficult!) :-)

I can't actually play Amazonia or Hexa Blast as I don't have Flash or a mobile phone, but I had a quick look on YouTube and they look pretty good :-)
Turtle_Quality wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:25 pmThe music is a big part of the game, quite New Age and soothing, I think the 128K Spectrum could make a decent rendition.
Yeah, the music is lovely, very ethnic, reminds me a bit of Monkey Island :-) Though I'd have to disagree about the Speccy being able to do a decent rendition! The music is percussion-led and uses a lot of big samples and pads to create an 'atmosphere'. This is precisely the kind of thing the Spectrum is terrible at! LOL :D

The sound effects should be fine though, and I could happily have a go with the music and see how close I can get - probably not too close, but similar perhaps. It shouldn't need to be an exact copy since your game would be partly based on Hexa Blast, so not an exact 'port'. Generally, I prefer to see a game running before I start making a tune, so I can get the tone exactly right for the game. In other words, maybe get back to me a little further down the line?
Turtle_Quality wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:25 pm Graphically I reckon it's possible to fit on a Spectrum screen
Yes, definitely! I may have a quick look myself.
Turtle_Quality wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:25 pmI've now finally completed all 3150 levels of Hexa Blast…
LOL, perhaps we can thank Coronavirus for all that spare time you've had! :D
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

I thought I would give Amazonia its own thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3914